• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Re:ZERO Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
With only paragraph breaks, sometimes there are problems because consecutive paragraphs are spoken by the same person, or because a conversation has at least three participants, making it difficult to determine if a paragraph following a comment by A is spoken by B or C. (I have encountered this problem in quite a few commercial translations, certainly including Spice and Wolf, No Game No Life, and The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Perhaps leaving the interjections inline, but in a different font (as sometimes employed by Terry Prachett) would have been a better solution in this case?

Is it really that hard? I've seen that same comment made about maou-sama, but everyone in that speaks uniquely that I've never had an issue being able to tell who is speaking.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
whoa this is out already? and here i thought it was a slow month for novel releases.

I dont really see a point it buying this now since theres not alot of new content added, perhaps if chapters has another of their buy 3 get 1 free sales i might consider it.

on an unrelated note is there any sort of database or library that keeps track of LN releases?
I'm quite forgetful and its a real pain to keep track of a calendar especially when theres different publishers involved. Chapters unfortunately doesn't have a LN filter.
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I dont really see a point it buying this now since theres not alot of new content added, perhaps if chapters has another of their buy 3 get 1 free sales i might consider it..

Right Stuf: Standard discount = 25% = buy 3 get 1 free. This is every day. Yay.

Re:Zero artwork is beautiful btw. The manga is out as well. http://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=rezero
Dayblack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Dayblack wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Dayblack wrote:
Since starting the arc 3 in the anime, which is the light novel 4 it is a must read. The anime a lot of important information omitted. Re zero it is one of the bad adaptations of the year.

Nothing omitted was important except for the speeches of the candidates, and that was for time constraints. The anime is fantastic.

You know nothing friend you not read the Japanese, like me. Many times have come to light novel omit half the anime. A light novel adaptation of at least needs 6 chapters of anime for a light novel, but re zero to 2 light novels adapted into anime 2 chapters each and the 6th novel in 3 chapters of anime. The 7th light novel that begins Sunday will also tailored in 2 chapters of anime. In total nine light novels are adapted into 25 chapters anime. They have skipped many important things such as spoiler[the fact that AL also comes from another world and came 10 years ago, etc.]

From my years of reading light novels and four years ago I studied Japanese, I can tell you with 100% certainty that re zero is a bad adaptation.

If you had the opportunity to read light novels, it would realize how awful it is anime.

Oh Please. I've read both the LN/WN and nothing important besides some irrelevant romcom scenes between Rem and Subaru and some gory stuff were removed. I'm sure it was done for the sake of tonal and thematic consistency and spoiler[Al's reveal] was removed because it was an intrusive exposition which would have disrupted the flow of the story. Not to mention it was never brought up again in the later arcs of the WN so the staff clearly knows what they're doing.

I know what you, you have 2 accounts animenewsnetwork one called Pierrot and the other is called ThatGuyWhoLikesThings. You are very pathetic. You can not Convens me that re zero is a good fit I read the original novels. I read the comments of people in the webnovel, where the author asks if he is angry with production by poor adaptation. If the anime had omitted unimportant things I would not speak, but from the arc 3 that is not the case (the arc 3 corresponds to novels 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9)

Key wrote:
First of all, Dayblack, you will use spoiler tags when detailing information left out of the anime adaptation, unless it is a relatively trivial detail. (There's always the chance that the anime will bring it up later.) I have added in the spoiler tags for you this time, but consider this an official Moderator directive.

Second, you don't automatically need six episodes of anime to adapt a LN. Although some anime adaptations do that (Spice and Wolf, The Devil is a Part-Timer), many anime LNs are just fine at 2-3 episodes/LN pace, especially if they have substantial action content. For instance, DanMachi spent only 13 episodes adapting its first five novels and came out just fine, with very little of significance skipped.

I'll also side with others insisting that an anime adaptation isn't awful just because it skips a few things. And I'll definitely side against any insistence that this particular anime is awful because of what it skips

DanMachi is a bad example, I read light novels, and I can say that omitted important things. It is another bad light novel adaptation. People who read the manga after the anime is very angry with production by all major explanations omitted from the anime. Even in critique the novel that made him here moderator would advise people to read light novels.

-I also agree that no matter what the anime skip unimportant things. As happened in novels 1 to 3 in re zero. But since I started adapting the novel 4 and novels that follow they have omitted many important things. Therefore it is a maladaptive. When you read the novel 4 and novels that follow, you will understand me.

John Thacker wrote:
You may yet be correct, but your argumentation is so poor that I think you almost certainly convince people who were on the fence that the opposite is true. I realize that you can't help the fact that English is not your native language and that does make your argument sound worse, but frankly it's the least of your worries. Your entire argument boils down to a combination of "it's not long enough for the amount of source material" and "just trust me due to my claimed Internet authority." The appeal to your own authority is especially unpersuasive here; some of us have considerably more studies in Japanese than "four years ago."

That leaves the second argument, which Key has well dealt with. Personally, I'd disagree a little bit with her about DanMachi, as I felt that it seemed a bit lacking on explanation and rushed towards the end for my tastes. (The problem for me may have lain in something other than adaptation issues, however.) However, Re: Zero as an anime has had excellent pacing so far in my opinion, and without more specific examples of important omitted content (properly spoiler protected) a mere argument from length is unpersuasive as well. The example you gave does not persuade at all (no more than bringing up Tom Bombadil will convince people that the Fellowship of the Ring movie was an "awful" adaptation.)

I could write a bible with all the important things that omitted the anime. But that would waste time and also that the moderator would challenge me again. My best argument is to invite you to read the light novels that are now being published in USA. When you read the 4th light novel and those that follow me will understand. Although I recommend just start with the first light novel.

If you know Japanese and would read novels in Japanese and know that since the start of the arc 3 in the anime was bad adaptation for all the important things that anime omitted (arch 3 corresponds to the novel 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8 and 9).

Another small example is the story of Betelgeuse spoiler[ who was a friend of Emilia and Fortuna (the aunt Emilia), Betelgeuse goes crazy to believe that he had killed Fortuna, but actually Fortuna had killed 2 types cult of witches . Priscila tells Subaru that the world is flat and that she welcomed Al after arriving to the family of Emilia.] In the anime was completely omitted

All who have read light novels danmachi know that was a bad adaptation.

CheezcakeMe wrote:
Dude a good adaptation doesn't mean a carbon copy of the book. Things get changed, removed, moved around to make it work better. You're getting another chance to fix the problems of the original story why wouldn't you use that to your advantage? Also from what I've heard the author or Re:Zero is heavily involved with the anime adaptation. Whatever changes made are likely passed by and approved by him.

The author of the light novels is not helping with the production of anime, that's something I made it clear to those who ask in the comments of the webnovel.

Anime is considered maladaptive when the anime omits important things from the original material. Since starting the arc 3 in the anime began to omit important things in history (arc 3 corresponds to novels 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9). Therefore re zero it is maladaptive.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:

Snipped for length
All who have read light novels danmachi know that was a bad adaptation.

Snipped for length

The author of the light novels is not helping with the production of anime, that's something I made it clear to those who ask in the comments of the webnovel.

Anime is considered maladaptive when the anime omits important things from the original material. Since starting the arc 3 in the anime began to omit important things in history (arc 3 corresponds to novels 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9). Therefore re zero it is maladaptive.

At least in regards to the Danmachi adaptation I have to disagree. Having watched the anime and read the LNs I can’t think of any information omitted from the anime that was crucial, or even particularly useful, for understanding the source material that it covers (Feel free to correct me with spoiler[the appropriate tags] if you feel so strongly about it). Certainly some of the omitted information may be important to know in later novels, but that can be revisited if and when more of the LNs are adapted. Sure, it’d be nice if everything could be included, but that is rarely going to happen.

All too often, information that may seem important to the readers is, in fact, little more than intriguing background information that does nothing to move the actual story forward. Case in point, as much as I loved reading about Tom Bombadil in the The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, it was not important to the overall plot, would have required a great deal of additional budget in order to include, and its inclusion or exclusion was not likely to have any significant impact on the revenue from the production.

I’ll grant that I can’t speak from any position of authority on this relating to Re;Zero, but I can only lend so much credence to your opinion on it when I find myself so firmly in disagreement with your other opinions.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we are getting the light novels over here, in case the anime doesn't get another season. But at this rate, it'll be 2018 before the light novel releases in the US get caught up to the end of this season of the anime. I guess i'm just impatient for all the light novels here to get past where the anime ended so we can read what happens next. Like The Devil is A Part Timer finally has, and i'm still disappointed that never got another season. I know i shouldn't want the releases to be rushed, since there are still issues with the translations being too wooden.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
I know what you, you have 2 accounts animenewsnetwork one called Pierrot and the other is called ThatGuyWhoLikesThings. You are very pathetic. You can not Convens me that re zero is a good fit I read the original novels.

Huh? What are you talking about? I don't even know that other user.
Quote:
I read the comments of people in the webnovel, where the author asks if he is angry with production by poor adaptation.

I don't know where you're getting this information but the author isn't angry with the production, In fact if you checked his tweets you'd know he's very happy with the adaptation.
Quote:
Another small example is the story of Betelgeuse spoiler[ who was a friend of Emilia and Fortuna (the aunt Emilia), Betelgeuse goes crazy to believe that he had killed Fortuna, but actually Fortuna had killed 2 types cult of witches . Priscila tells Subaru that the world is flat and that she welcomed Al after arriving to the family of Emilia.] In the anime was completely omitted

You should re-read the WN because the first spoiler you mentioned happens after the third arc and regarding the second one like I stated before, It is an intrusive exposition. Even if it was removed, it's not something that can't be revealed later on.
Quote:

He's supervising it. For example, The candidates speech in episode 13 was cut short because it was too long and he always wanted to make it short.
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4sswge/spoilers_some_details_from_nagatsuki_tappei/
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Dude a good adaptation doesn't mean a carbon copy of the book. Things get changed, removed, moved around to make it work better. You're getting another chance to fix the problems of the original story why wouldn't you use that to your advantage? Also from what I've heard the author or Re:Zero is heavily involved with the anime adaptation. Whatever changes made are likely passed by and approved by him.

Yes and no. Don't need the to bee a carbon copy, but leaving behind too much information can turned the anime less enjoyable, As these anime is mostly a teaser/advertise for the LN, a good adaptation will bring the best and the most important details, and have a coherent narrative don't be rushed, leaving behind some slice of life and some romance parts, but providing enough information and detail so a watcher of the anime become a reader of the LN and the readers of the LN don't fell that the anime is butchering their beloved LN.

But sometimes the producers try to put too many volumes in one season and the anime become too rushed (Madan no Ou to Vanadis).
Other times they try to bring a anime only arc or mix parts of various volumes(High School DxD BorN, after 2 good seasons they almost killed the anime series with the third one).

In the case of Re:ZERO there are a good balance, from what i read leaving behind mostly not important parts and it have good pace, not feeling rushed. I think is a good adaptation and make me want to buy the LN.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
DanMachi is a bad example, I read light novels, and I can say that omitted important things. It is another bad light novel adaptation. People who read the manga after the anime is very angry with production by all major explanations omitted from the anime. Even in critique the novel that made him here moderator would advise people to read light novels. . .

all who have read light novels danmachi know that was a bad adaptation.

Just stop. I have read the first five DanMachi novels and you most definitely do NOT speak for all of us. (And yes, I have reviewed some of them for this site.) The anime version is actually an excellent adaptation, one that even improves on the original material in many places.

And the fact that you don't know what you're talking about on DanMachi hurts your credibility on Re: Zero. No, its anime may not be an absolutely perfect adaptation of the novels (except for episode 18, which I've been told is virtually 1:1), but it's still some damn fine storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack seems unabashedly rude, incoherent, and aggressive. The incoherence is probably in part due to a lingual issue.

Nevertheless, rude and aggressive. Shouldn't that be against the forum rules? I don't know them, but I'd heard they were pretty restrictive. I don't often think they're appropriate, but a thread of people reacting to a guy angrily yelling that something is awful without evidence doesn't seem to have any general value. Now, if he began angrily yelling at people AND posting evidence...
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, its anime may not be an absolutely perfect adaptation of the novels

I can say for certain that if it was an absolutely perfect adaptation of the novels, the series would be extended another 2 or 3 episodes probably. And White Fox was only given 25 episodes.

Pacing is so much more important in television format than it is in book format, and you really have to think about what can work and what won't. 1:1 adaptations usually never happen for a reason.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Dayblack seems unabashedly rude, incoherent, and aggressive. The incoherence is probably in part due to a lingual issue.

Nevertheless, rude and aggressive. Shouldn't that be against the forum rules? I don't know them, but I'd heard they were pretty restrictive. I don't often think they're appropriate, but a thread of people reacting to a guy angrily yelling that something is awful without evidence doesn't seem to have any general value. Now, if he began angrily yelling at people AND posting evidence...

If he had stepped over any lines then I would have done more than just putting spoiler tags on part of one of his posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. Sorry for jumping the gun!
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
"Furthermore, they revealed that Re:ZERO's author, Nagatsuki Tappei, participates in much of the process, from script meetings to recording to dubbing. There's a great deal of cooperation behind the scenes between the animation staff and the authour."
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/07/17/rezero-all-night-marathon-and-staff-discussion-what-makes-subaru-tick-everyone-off

So yes, the authour DOES have his hands in the mix. The last thing they want to do is piss off the guy if the show gets greenlit for another season, which with its current popularity it just might.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
RightStufTanukiMinion wrote:
Right Stuf: Standard discount = 25% = buy 3 get 1 free. This is every day. Yay.

Re:Zero artwork is beautiful btw. The manga is out as well. http://www.rightstufanime.com/search?keywords=rezero

appreciate the heads up but the shipping costs isn't worth it unless its a big order to qualify for free shipping, plus the conversion rate is a hassle whereas i can just walk into the store pick the stuff i want off the shelf, pay and leave.

It definitely sucks if they dont have it in stock but thats the trade off to avoid paying extra
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3