• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resolution to Ban Doraemon Anime Series Submitted in Pakistan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
It's really disturbing when adults say that children aren't allowed to have a childhood Sad

Yeah, it's part of why I always felt kind of bad for Michael Jackson and I would say it's a major cause of why he was so screwed up as an adult.

The way I see it, let children have their childhoods. They won't have a chance to get one when they grow older, no matter how much they try. (Again, look at Michael Jackson for an example of someone who tried his hardest with the fortunes he had.) But I'm sure the adults who won't let children have their fun as kids were never that interested in letting kids have their fun and were never exactly the life of the party when they were younger themselves.

peno wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I think these people must have lived under a rock when they were kids. There is nothing wrong with Doraemon. In fact it's more of a positive show for kids. What's next, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic?

Actually, since they want to ban all kids channels, this may pretty much be a case as well Sad

I am not Indian or Pakistani, nor have I ever been to either of these countries, but I sure see a lot of Indian-Americans and Pakistani-Americans who are ultra-serious, both as parents putting them under grueling study regimens and as kids spending all their time working at things to improve their chances of getting into a good university, and working famously high-paying jobs as doctors, scientists, engineers, and attorneys. Like, WAY harder than the Chinese/Korean Asian parent stereotype that you now have the "Indian doctor" stereotype as seen in shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I have to wonder: Is this really a part of their cultures? To these individuals, is having even a tiny amount of fun considered a hindrance to later success that they avoid leisure at all costs, and is making money the be-all end-all for them? I mean, I read in the newspapers about assassinations conducted during exams to get into medical schools in northern India, and that is incredibly messed up.

Then again, you got the thriving Bollywood, so clearly, plenty of people in India want to enjoy life. That kind of all-work-and-no-play lifestyle sounds suffocating without some way to release steam.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I have to wonder: Is this really a part of their cultures? To these individuals, is having even a tiny amount of fun considered a hindrance to later success that they avoid leisure at all costs, and is making money the be-all end-all for them? I mean, I read in the newspapers about assassinations conducted during exams to get into medical schools in northern India, and that is incredibly messed up.

Like you, I am not Indian or Pakistani, nor have I been to either country, so this is all speculation based on my general observations of human nature.

To the kids, probably not. Not on their own initiative, anyway. There will be constant, extreme pressure from the parents to work as hard as humanly possible to get the best possible lot in life. Kids that rebel against this too much will tend to find themselves getting way less (if any) support from family, so most will suck it up while they're dependant on their parents. And when they have kids of their own, they'll do the same thing because by then it's so ingrained in them.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Then again, you got the thriving Bollywood, so clearly, plenty of people in India want to enjoy life. That kind of all-work-and-no-play lifestyle sounds suffocating without some way to release steam.

Yup. Much like in Japan, a society with that much general pressure to work hard drives high demand for some kind of distraction from all that. (Which a segment of the population works hard at to make money selling to the rest...)
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In India, Ashish Chaturvedi, whistleblower of country's Vyapam education scam, also recently criticized the Hindi- and English-dubbed versions of Doraemon and another anime, Crayon Shin-chan, for having an adverse impact on children.

So an English dub of Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan exists in India? I'd like to watch them out of curiousity.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
I was expecting a religious angle(this is Pakistan, after all), but there doesn't seem to be any. Reading through the Times of India article, Tom and Jerry's specifically called out as acceptable. Shin-chan's differentiated by lack of respect for elders, while the complaints against Doraemon are all over the map.
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
They're targeting the wrong show, Doraemon is a good show. Their loss.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I was expecting a religious angle(this is Pakistan, after all), but there doesn't seem to be any. Reading through the Times of India article, Tom and Jerry's specifically called out as acceptable. Shin-chan's differentiated by lack of respect for elders, while the complaints against Doraemon are all over the map.

Sounds more like a cultural angle than a religious one.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Oh brother! Just when you think the world can't get any crazier,it does. Banning "Doremon?" Nice going India,Pakistan. You've just made laughingstocks of yourselves. Why? All this is going to do is make you look stupid. With all the problems you've got to deal with,this is how you try to deal with them? As somebody once said,"Stop the world,I wanna get off!"
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
OK, I can understand banning a show like Death Note or Elfen Lied or something like that being seen by children, but Doraemon? Ridiculous. Pakistan has enough real-world problems like too much people actually killing each other in real life, and they are wasting their time banning harmless cartoons. I could understand banning cartoons that are excessively violent or gory if they think that might contribute to the real-world violence in their society, but this seems silly to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2