• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is a Fujoshi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi are also getting more scarier too. I hear more and more stories about women getting out of that fandom because of how messed up a lot of them can be. Also, there's been a lot of male idol anime and a lot of it doesn't sell at all or you can easily tell it will sell poorly, I've seen anime announced of male idol anime that the CDs don't even sell 2k and some only sell 500-800 copies. It's also causing a severe imbalance between the numbers of male and female idol anime.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who opened the thread thinking "Aren't they those sumo loincloths? Well, I guess they are kind of fetish popular... Confused "
Enryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This article is on point. I hope this trend ends and we go back to the old days.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fujoshi since before the name for it was widely known (nigh on 20 years by now, and don't I feel ancient...) and I'm glad that in the last several years we're finally being viewed as a viable audience in our own right. However, a lot of the shows designed to pander to fujoshi don't interest me (or many of my fujoshi friends) in the least, because we latch on to characters and pairings based on their organic evolution, not because of a specific set of features that they meet. (Hence why idol shows are so boring for me; it's like there was a checklist: the cutesy little brother type, the glasses-wearing stoic type, etc... it's also why Ouran was so much fun!)
Anyway I'm loving YOI (haven't seen the last ep yet) and hope it really does open the door for more canon gay couples, but I will continue to ship either way.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
solosorca wrote:
I think my issue with otome game based male idol shows is that said character is always so, well, boring. They're all pretty much the same bland girl who's main attribute is 'nice' and never really grow or do anything. I know a lot of fans are like 'just ignore her and focus on the boys' and I can't. If she is the main character who we follow around then I'd like her to have some form of personality and then completely throws me out of the show.

This is my problem for otome games. I want to see more of a personality for the main girl. I wish they would give more choices for her to give a big impact on the guys, as that can lead to more layers of understanding the men and the heroine. In other words, more variety of character development.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
I agree that sports and idol anime are HUGE for fujoshi, but some plain old regular shounen anime can be big fujoshi targets too.

Oh, of course. Remember that this was in the Hunter x Hunter anime for all to see. They know. Then again its pretty known it has a large female fanbase.
azhanei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I still do way more hetero pairings of characters than homoerotic ones (though I'm a yaoi fan), but I definitely appreciate the bounty of pretty and hot men strolling across my screen. I want a good story though. There have been titles that no amount of bishie in the world could save.

Speaking of the efforts to go after mech dollars, that has ramped up. Before, you had universal figures of male characters and chibi figures of male characters. You had the same with female characters, but also very suggestive figures. Now your starting to see suggestive male figures like ToysWorld's Free!! Eternal Summer line with the boys in obviously sexy poses in soaking wet clothes and barely-held-up pants. Some of us are anxiously awaiting a release date for Kotobukiya's new Ikemen bishounen/biseinen line of comic characters (debuting with Nightwing) And the All Out!! 2017 calendar mixes in sensual pinup poses with more traditional "slice of life" art. More dakimakura with male characters in sensual poses, too, but figures are the mountain top. The large investment in prototyping means a company feels that investment will be rewarded.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
I think that, for the next team-based sports anime, they should try focusing on having the characters relate to each other in a way actual team mates would. Doing so would make the characters more realistic, ergo giving potential for a wider audience. This would also make any potentially gay characters, whether lead or not, less likely to be a comic throwaway.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Fujoshi are also getting more scarier too. I hear more and more stories about women getting out of that fandom because of how messed up a lot of them can be.

This is very much me when I was in college. I dabbled a bit in the yaoi fandom but the fans are seriously screwed up that I ended up getting disgusted with the whole thing particularly with the fixation on incest and pedophilia. Not to say that the het hentai fandom does not have them but at least fans of these tend to be very discreet. The fujoshi fandom tends to be really loud and obnoxious about it, and I am basing it not from prejudice mind you, but from personal experience. Even now, I'm just at a loss at the antics of these erm, people in the various fandoms I'm in.

Make no mistake, I'm not generalizing or antagonizing fujoshi; I know there are sane ones out there and I have nothing but respect towards them. It's just the loud and obnoxious ones that I am ranting against.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome to Progress.

Though I would say it started somewhat earlier. its no secret who the Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis main market was.
Revan32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
The article does not mention the VAs, yet I'm more curious about that aspect.
Generally, only the fujoshi can go absolutely crazy about the japanese male seiyuus, but why is that? Do they identify them with their BL roles or do they think the seiyuus are also gay or something for accepting such roles?

In my experience, fujoshi are fun, entertaining people but they can be as highly annoying as their male otaku counterparts, or even worse when they team up.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Fujoshi are also getting more scarier too. I hear more and more stories about women getting out of that fandom because of how messed up a lot of them can be. Also, there's been a lot of male idol anime and a lot of it doesn't sell at all or you can easily tell it will sell poorly, I've seen anime announced of male idol anime that the CDs don't even sell 2k and some only sell 500-800 copies. It's also causing a severe imbalance between the numbers of male and female idol anime.

Which show are you talking about? B-Project and Utapri sell 10K+ and Dream Festival doesn't seem to have CDs out yet.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm more amazed that Kamen Rider somehow had a hand in all of this. XD

EricJ2 wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who opened the thread thinking "Aren't they those sumo loincloths? Well, I guess they are kind of fetish popular... :? "

I can see how you could get fujoshi mixed up with fundoshi since the spelling is nearly alike.
Proud2bPnoy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
The fujoshi effect gave a beautiful cancerous disease to that supposedly super manly anime called All out!!!(though it became the reverse all male butt-based anime version of Keijo!!Hajime no Ippo style ) but seriously infecting the rest of the sports anime this season. While Yuri!!! On Ice is in a deniability mode of being a Schrodinger's Shonen Ai/Yaoi show, fans are commenting that it doesn't necessarily need to fall on the heavy-Japanese-rainbow category as it depicts a perfect example of a healthy same-sex relationship. As an aphorism for Fujoshis, Apparently "Yaoi" has a different meaning from the genre that YOI has (LOL I love this dork fandom). What I also realized is that the ridiculous exclamation point on every sports genre out there, they say the more the title has one, the gayer it gets.[/i]

Hoppy800 wrote:

Well to be precise only the popular ones(those male idol franchise from the same label like B-PRO and Utapri) sells good at least 10K each per character album version and mysteriously topping the oricon chart no matter how shtty it was truthfully... But now that Broccoli(that infamous male idol label) is slowly getting slayed because of Bandai's Idolish7( the equivalent idol version of LL!) in Japan, I can say with all those albums topping Japan's Itunes chart and Animate and Amiami's sold out merchs...popular male idol franchises do sell alot(pretty good example is Mamoru Miyano having his own sold out concert tours because of Utapri)
REL-84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Revan32 wrote:
The article does not mention the VAs, yet I'm more curious about that aspect.
Generally, only the fujoshi can go absolutely crazy about the japanese male seiyuus, but why is that? Do they identify them with their BL roles or do they think the seiyuus are also gay or something for accepting such roles?

I think the article is pretty much spot on. Though as some others on here, I have mixed feelings about the fujoshi boom. Harem shows of any kind tend to have bland story-telling, and idol shows as essentially that. I watch them when I lack the time to get engaged in a more serious show, so I guess they serve some purpose.

About those VAs. Being a fujoshi and a HUGE fan of japanese seiyuus I might say a word. I haven't spoken online with any fujoshi who actually thought the seiyuus themselves were gay, but I do know people who imagine the seiyuus in the studio in a much more down-to-earth meaning. Fans of seiyuus have some really deep knowledge of the seiyuus themselves. They know that they look like, what they sound like (non-acting), have listened to/watched interviews, events etc. Essentially they're experts on voice actors, much like we have fans of American actors, who are appreciated for doing various roles and role-interpretations and people might read about in magazines etc. Seiyuu fandom is the same thing basically. And most BL drama CDs comes with Free Talks by the actors randomly speaking or discuss sent-in questions or pre-selected themes. There's a lot of extras like that that help the audience get better acquainted with the actors.

One interesting thing with voice acting though is that you might recognize the same voice, but still interpret it as a different human being due to excellent acting. It's all in your imagination. And that the same voice might overlap between roles is also interesting. Many Japanese seiyuus are experts on this and it's like a game itself to watch shows and to try to spot the man behind the voice.

Though I'm also a fan of female seiyuus, a whole ton of the more popular voice actresses have these pipsqueak, childish voices I simply can't stand (I can't stand female moe either), so I simply can't become an equal fan of female seiyuus. A lot of male seiyuus, on the other hand, have some incredibly, sexy voices, so there's really is no comparison. Though, there are also sexy sounding female seiyuus, they don't dominate main character roles in anime. There's an interesting BL Drama CD, Sanzen Sekai no Karasu wo Koroshi, a sci-fi saga, that goes against this rule. This story has a ton of female roles -all of them voiced by adult sounding, low-voiced female seiyuus, like an opposite universe from male-oriented moe anime. I think this says something about the perceived audience, adult women don't want to be belittled - that's my feeling every time a moe, child-girl appears on screen in anime. In Sanzen-Sekai all of the female cast are strong-willed, intelligent and well-characterized human beings in comparison.

Now, drama CDs is a huge fujoshi scene, and considering the age of some fujoshi I'm not surprised that many, like me, love the format of being able to listen to great dramas. Also, for drama CDs the seiyuus have a lot of room for self-expression and role-interpretation, much more so than in anime where images tells most of the story and the seiyuus have to lip-synch. For these dramas it's all about expressiveness, tone of voice, and being truly honest with one's expressed feelings (or it will sound like a lie). Drama CDs are glass houses, easily breakable by a single, badly intonated word. Getting to hear a truly masterful role-interpretation by a great seiyuu is as good as it can get, if you ask me.

I think the fandom of seiyuus is a much deserved one. They worked had on those roles. But live events in Japan also helps to breed the fan base.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4