• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses My Girlfriend is Shobitch for Anime Strike Stream

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Dammit I was looking foreword to watching this legally to. Oh well
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This show looks like garbage, but for some reason this, and other shows Strike has picked up this season suddenly become great titles in the eyes of some fans. This is rather curious. It is as if they were looking for excuses to complain about that service

I have been subscribed to Anime Strike since it was launched, but this season they only have Inuyashiki and a bunch of forgettable stuff.

Well, it's somewhat easy to see why people who dont like (or possibly can't afford) Amazon to voice their displeasure the way they do whenever they take a show that they personally are looking forward to. (They don't like their policies when it comes to anime and would prefer a different service to take it) Also, (just because you brought it up and I personally wanted to say this), not everyone shares your opinion on what's forgettable or not, dude. Girls' Last Tour and Land of the Lustrous both look interesting in my eyes (as well as many others on this site at least) to check out. This show is not one I think I will be watching, but I can understand why some people would feel upset over this news because they don't view Amazon in a positive light.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Yuki Yuna, Himouto, and now this.....I hate strike just about as much as one person could hate a streaming service but it seems I may be folding this season...

When did yuki yuna get licensed for anime strike? I don't remember seeing that announcement.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Yuki Yuna, Himouto, and now this.....I hate strike just about as much as one person could hate a streaming service but it seems I may be folding this season...

When did yuki yuna get licensed for anime strike? I don't remember seeing that announcement.

Its part of the Animeism block.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

Or it could end up being a good comedy anime, like Aho Girl.

I'd hesitate to call Aho Girl "good". The novelty of Yoshiko being a "lovable idiot" dies out pretty quick.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Watching every Sentai license anime illegally is the future now.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Or it could end up being a good comedy anime, like Aho Girl.

I'd hesitate to call Aho Girl "good". The novelty of Yoshiko being a "lovable idiot" dies out pretty quick.

Well, that's your opinion and I have mine, the comedy never got old for me and all the new characters they introduced and the way they interacted helped keep the series fresh while maintaining it's silly formula, top that with top tier voice acting and you got comedy gold.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This means fewer people are going to watch this then My First Girlfriend is a Gal, which is disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
Watching every Sentai license anime illegally is the future now.

By this point, Sentai would have to be run by idiots if they saw "everyone is just going to illegally stream your shows" as anything more than an empty threat. Most people were going to watch them illegally anyway.

Heck, there are still tons of people who watch illegal streams of titles that are available Crunchyroll for free... probably more people than are actually watching those shows on Crunchyroll!

I'm not saying that there aren't people who would pay for Crunchyroll but wouldn't pay for AnimeStrike (because there definitely are), but come on.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
By this point, Sentai would have to be run by idiots if they saw "everyone is just going to illegally stream your shows" as anything more than an empty threat. Most people were going to watch them illegally anyway.

Actually, I think the bigger problem is likely people not watching things at all. Made In Abyss, for example, sounds good and unique; but it's on Strike, which I refuse to subscribe to for a number of reasons. I've thought about pirating it, but with no specific reason that I need to watch it, I just haven't bothered. This has happened with a few other shows, and I don't even remember which ones they were anymore.

For anyone with only a passing interest in a show--the vast majority of (potential) viewers, in most cases--convenience is the biggest influence. If it's not on a streaming service they already have, they're not going to buy a whole new service or pirate it unless they're big-time fans. They're just going to watch something else. And not necessarily anime. This is why service-splintering is a problem for anime as a whole, and why it bothers me even when it's some ecchi show that I wouldn't have watched anyway.

Pirated streams are a whole other issue, though, because those are convenient enough to get casual viewers, making them much more damaging than file-sharing.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Actually, I think the bigger problem is likely people not watching things at all. Made In Abyss, for example, sounds good and unique; but it's on Strike, which I refuse to subscribe to for a number of reasons. I've thought about pirating it, but with no specific reason that I need to watch it, I just haven't bothered. This has happened with a few other shows, and I don't even remember which ones they were anymore.

For anyone with only a passing interest in a show--the vast majority of (potential) viewers, in most cases--convenience is the biggest influence. If it's not on a streaming service they already have, they're not going to buy a whole new service or pirate it unless they're big-time fans. They're just going to watch something else. And not necessarily anime. This is why service-splintering is a problem for anime as a whole, and why it bothers me even when it's some ecchi show that I wouldn't have watched anyway.

Pirated streams are a whole other issue, though, because those are convenient enough to get casual viewers, making them much more damaging than file-sharing.

Jumping in to say - EVERYONE needs to watch Made in Abyss!!!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
How my planned fall schedule is looking (counting debuting shows only): Funi/CR have Dies irae"*, Kekkai Sensen & Beyond*, Kino no Tabi"*, Net-juu no Susume, and The Ancient Magus' Bride*. Sentai Filmworks/AS has Majime Sugiru Shojo and Just Because.That leaves ClassicaLoid 2, GARO -VANISHING LINE,Robomasters, and Two Car

*means I will watch it either by dub-only or by watching the dub/sub.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
If the Amazon Overlords got rid of the double paywall and had their streams on time, Anime Strike would probably get a better reputation.
But I thought everyone wanted to pay more money for an inferior product.

They do.

Made in China.

Glad I'm not watching this.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay how many jokes are going to be making jokes about that "portmanteu"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2