• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Villainess: Reloaded! Blowing Away Bad Ends with Modern Weapons LN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This was first and foremost written as a comedic take on the whole villainess trope, and it is as such I read it. Though seeing the review and some of the reactions here it doesn't seem to be from that angle some others see it from? Though of course tastes are different and I personally didn't care much for the author's previous work(Her Majesty’s Swarm).
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember trying to read the manga, because I like villainess novels (and want more where they try to be actual villains), but it was so boring I dropped it after like... one or two chapters. Glad to hear I didn't miss anything.
sokeihitoshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
It's just a really weird LN overall, because as the review notes, it goes into a lot of military otaku specifications, but a lot of them are also wrong. Like, the first illustration has the character firing a rifle cartridge out of a handgun, and a 9mm supposedly blowing up the entire dummy's head, and how they try to have it that "A 9mm is perfect for a 4 year old child" (and noting this was before she enhanced her body to be able to stand recoil) was just... odd.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked this light novel. I have found it to be a funny take on the isekai trope.

Yes, the prologue chapter is a bit concerning, but we don't know if it is reality, and if it is, then how did ​we get there. That is important and it would provide context as to why that decision was made.

Many people don't like the concept of 'no mercy', but it is a valid and viable option based on what your enemies are doing. I am not going to judge Astrid, until I see what is done to her. Our Astrid hasn't bullied anyone. But if she does that would be a jump off the tracks for this isekai trope.

I have no problem with 'girls with guns', more power to them, and may their enemies flee before them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2