• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Witch On The Holy Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
(And if they did, would that make it the first official English release of Nasu's prose in print?)

Not sure if it counts but an extract of Kara no Kyoukai vol 1 was published as part of the English translation of "Faust" (an anthology series).

__
Re the game: everyone was saying how it's the best looking VN around. I looked at some videos and it is quite nice what they do.
Part of watching the videos exposed me to the narration which was...very repetitive so I don't think I'm a fan of Nasu's writing perhaps...
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:30 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:
(And if they did, would that make it the first official English release of Nasu's prose in print?)

Not sure if it counts but an extract of Kara no Kyoukai vol 1 was published as part of the English translation of "Faust" (an anthology series).

__
Re the game: everyone was saying how it's the best looking VN around. I looked at some videos and it is quite nice what they do.
Part of watching the videos exposed me to the narration which was...very repetitive so I don't think I'm a fan of Nasu's writing perhaps...

Nasu's writing is an extremely acquired taste. Even I can't say I'm fully a fan of it (I care more for the characters from TYPE-MOON stuff than Nasu's handling of them.) He can be painfully love-it-or-hate-it, but as far as this specific game it's all balanced out by the character writing. Back when I played the old fan-translated Tsukihime, the whole thing felt like it was machine translated; this is so much better by comparison. Full-on night-and-day.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:18 am Reply with quote
Definitely buying the limited edition next month! Been waiting awhile for this!
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:51 am Reply with quote
A few little Easter eggs and connections off the top of my head.

Soujyuro is most likely from the assassin organization as the male teacher, Souichirou Kuzuki, from Fate Stay Night was. In the anime shows, this wasnt really apparent but the teacher really was.

Alice attends Reien Girl's Academy, the same school Fujino Asagami from Garden of Sinners movie 3 attends and the setting of movie 6. Touko is a alumni.

Asagami Private Girls Academy, is the school Akiha Tohno of Tsukihime 1999 attended. Fujino Asagami's family is a sponsor. Now that I recall, I dont think this school was mentioned in Mahoyo. Also, I think the Asagami family constructed the building with the Aquarium, I could check but I will just admit I maybe wrong and someone go fact check.

Fujino Asagami is a member of one of the four families of the Demon Hunter Organization. They all have origins of having mixed blood of Oni to gain supernatural abilities to fight other super natural foes. Not all members obtain abilities. The families include: Nanaya (Shiki Tohno's original family before being adopted by the Tohno family as an infant, Shiki is the very last -coughs-), Fujou (the last member of the family was the antagonist of the first Garden of sinners movie), Ryougi (Ryougi Shiki is a member and is the main protagonist of Garden of sinners) Asakami (Fujino Asagami was originally named Fujino Asakami)

Touko is a main character in Garden of Sinners movies. She also makes significant appearances in Makoto Sanda's LN Lord El-Melloi II stories.

According to interviews over 10 years old, this VN was planned to be 1 of 3 in a series. IMO, due to relatively poor expected sales (sold well for a VN but was lackluster compared to Fate Stay Night), Tsukihime Remale VN production stalling, and possible beginning plans of the Fate Grand Order mobile game, the continuation was shelved.

The setting Misaki City is the same setting as the 1999 release of Tsukihime where Alices Mansion occupies the Tohno Mansion grounds in the 1999 or 2003. With the new Tsukihime VN released in 2021, Tsukihime's setting is now in Soya City in 2014.

In Mahoyo Touko mention challenging a Dead Apostle Ancestor with Beo, a predominant antagonist of sorts in both Tsukihime games and Melty Blood franchises. With the pretense of a DAA Human Order is Weak, a term prominant in the Fate Grand Order mobile game, thusly the events of Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero didn't occur. Worth mentioning, only one set of Mystic Eyes of Death Perceptions can exist in a universe/timeline/series of events or whatever, it is unclear if Mahoyo takes place directly before Tsukihime or Garden of sinners. Likely taking place before those all together and before an event that cause the time lines, or whatever, to split.

Touko mentioned riding upon a Mystic eye train, Lord El-Melloi II light novels, and anime, featured an arc upon the very same train. Since Mahoyo was released in first in 2012, it was a number of years before the original novel arc of the Mystic Eye Train was released.

While not clear of what the 5th magic is Nasu, the creator, ha said the clues are there in the game. Likely isnt time travel since the 2nd Magic, Operation of Parallel Worlds, is sorta that as thought by Touko. Speculated by some fans to be Consumption and Extinction. Personally I think it may be the manipulation of values of things to be measured, even abstract concepts like time, what I would call it is Quantitative Manipulation.

Ok thats enough.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

Fujino Asagami is a member of one of the four families of the Demon Hunter Organization. They all have origins of having mixed blood of Oni to gain supernatural abilities to fight other super natural foes. Not all members obtain abilities. The families include: Nanaya (Shiki Tohno's original family before being adopted by the Tohno family as an infant, Shiki is the very last -coughs-)

So, do you mean Shiki, or SHIKI? Wink

Thanks for all of the trivia in this one, it's really nice seeing all of the connective tissue between this and Tsukihime/Garden of Sinners! (I'd forgotten Garden of Sinners is supposed yo be part of the canon.)

Last edited by FinalVentCard on Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:

It's been many a year since I read it, but Nasu's Kara no Kyoukai had an excerpt printed in one of the two FAUST volume compilations back when it was somewhat new. The anime hadn't even been announced, I think. It was actually my first introduction to the Type-Moon universe and was the reason I checked out Tsukihime.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
It's definitely good.

FinalVentCard wrote:
The translation is good! It speaks to Nasu's writing that the character dialogue is so good but the actual narration reads like a friggin' stereo manual.

That's great to hear! I also just realized there's a demo so I'll probably read that. It's honestly crazy to see Mahoyo officially in English, even as someone who's not that much into Type Moon stuff (most I've done is watch various Fate anime)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:42 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1608275435087081473

Speak of the devil.

Actual article is in JP, but the tweet:

Quote:
Nasu states in an interview how he would like to release a Mahoyo sequel after completing other priorities and says if it can't be a visual novel, it can potentially be a video work.

He also jokes if he can input prompts if an AI Nasu can write the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2