• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Alan45, I see your point. .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yep, definitely not in line for Mother of the Year any time soon. Sounds like her Dad is a tool too, although right now it's unclear if he's just indifferent or actively an a-hole to boot. In any case, good for Mahiru for turning out pretty darn good despite such gross parental neglect. She just may be as amazing as... me! *blushes modestly*
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 am Reply with quote
I’m guessing that the reason that she turned out as well as she did was due to the housekeeper raising her.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In any case, good for Mahiru for turning out pretty darn good despite such gross parental neglect. She just may be as amazing as... me! *blushes modestly*

That blush...what...is...this strange feeling?

Oh. It's mild skepticism. But keep trying! .

(Now I've got the lyrics "Don't Stop...Belieeeeeeeving" going through my head.)

Beltane70 wrote:
I’m guessing that the reason that she turned out as well as she did was due to the housekeeper raising her.

Yah. That, and being an introvert and going the trying-to-be-perfect route to get their attention seems to have suited her personality and helped shield her from predators. Not that it hasn't been hard on her or caused trauma. But she doesn't seem the type who would come out well if she'd gone other routes. At the very least, the show would have a much different feel if the MC had met her because she was having sex too loudly with some delinquent she'd met in rehab.

BTW - this anime seems to be doing fair to middling well on Crunchyroll's popularity page if I'm gauging it right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
At the very least, the show would have a much different feel if the MC had met her because she was having sex too loudly with some delinquent she'd met in rehab.

Funny you should mention that. You may be interested in my fanfic that is a cross over of this show and Austin Powers called, The "Angel" Next Door Shags Me Rotten... Yeah, Baby!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
If I had to guess, I would say that Mahiro's personality came first and the backstory was made up as the plot progressed. Purity was likely more or less a given.

I thought the mother's words seemed a bit tame compared to the novel version. I checked and the text of her comments is the same but the anime misses lines such as "Amane stared in disbelief as vicious words slithered past the woman's crimson-painted lips." This sort of adds to the atmosphere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
In my fanfic, something other than words slithered past the woman's crimson-painted lips, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, sure, because...it's scripted. I knew that. It's not like I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between anime and real life or anything ha ha.

Excuse me, I'm going to go quietly examine some of my priorities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald, that's the second time I've seen you cite this "real life" thingy and I'm still mystified as to what that is. Meh, it's probably something lame, any way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

"Real Life" it is that irritating stuff that always gets you when you are forced to deal with 3/d people. You know, when you have to obtain the necessities of life like food and the internet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
See, I knew it was something lame! Thank god I'll never have to get one of those "real life" dealios. I'll just stay in Anime World forever...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Edjwald, that's the second time I've seen you cite this "real life" thingy and I'm still mystified as to what that is. Meh, it's probably something lame, any way.

Let's see...suppose the power went out, and then your smart phone ran out of juice... wow, this is starting to sound kind of lame...
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Four episodes down and Dense-kun and Clueless-chan are slowly, SLOOOOOOOWLY, working their way to figuring out that they actually dig each other.

"Dense-kun" isn't as dense as he seems, he's just suffering from massive lack of self-confidence. And "Clueless-chan" isn't at all clueless, even by the end of Ep 4 she's perfectly aware she's attracted to him but doesn't want to push things spoiler[just yet].

I mean, be fair, it's a LN series so you can't just have them rip each other's clothes off too soon, you'd only get the one volume that way.

Alan45 wrote:
I thought the mother's words seemed a bit tame compared to the novel version.

Yes, I noticed that too and wondered why exactly. Is the whole thing being toned down slightly? spoiler[I guess we'll find out after that dream sequence, assuming they even include it.]

Blood- wrote:
Let's see...suppose the power went out...

Have you been spoiler[reading ahead in the LN too], then? Smile
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay, say I wanted to open a club where instead of lap dances, performers gave lap pillows. Basically, customers could lay their heads in the laps of demure, fully dressed employees and have their hair stroked while the performers listened to them pour out their troubles and made sympathetic noises...

(===reads over what was just written===)

And I mean the hair on top of their skulls, just to be clear. Not pubic hair or underarm hair or butt hair or any other kind of hair.

Would that be sleazy?

Anyway, by the time we get to this point of the anime season - as in over the halfway mark - I look at the anime I'm still watching and begin thinking about which ones I'll want to rewatch from the start at some point. And this anime makes the cut, at least for me. Of the other romance anime that have come out this season, Tomo-chan is the only other one where I'd say the same,
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I propose a drinking game. Every time Mahiru adorably sits on Amane's sofa and half hides her face in embarrassment behind that black and white pillow, take a stiff belt of your favourite poison. I guarantee you'll be pie-eyed by the end of the episode. These two weirdos are the only characters I've ever seen virtually get into arguments over being nice to each other.

Here's a typical "confflict*:

Amane - compliments Mahiru
Mahiru - compliments Amane back
Amane - says something supportive
Mahiru - "Amane, baka!"

Oi, just eff already!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7