• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Variety Report: Chainsaw Man, Bleach Among 2022's Most Pirated Series in the U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodDude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:56 am Reply with quote
Bubin wrote:
I was always under impression that people pirate because they don't want to pay.

This and because of convenience. I like having the file to organizing entire series into one place and back up on hard drives. Much easier to watch .mkv files with no buffering or loading or anything. I can freely skip around with zero delay. Having the file locally means you can edit the .ass files for everything. Someone mentioned, bad translations and thankfully it's very easy to fix those on your end. Or sometimes the ripper has new subs already on the file which is convenient. Also sometimes the streaming only has the censored version of the broadcast like with Onimai currently.

It just feels silly to pay for stuff you can get for free. I'd rather use my money for buy cards, figures, and other merchandise. So my money goes to stuff like Digimon TCG cards rather than paying to watch the Digimon anime officially.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
It just feels silly to pay for stuff you can get for free.

"No one is physically stopping me from stealing this thing, so it feels silly to pay for it." Shocked
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Variety reported that Netflix loses US$9.1 billion a year to password sharing.

Again? It's 2023 and still I hear this... questionable statistics (to avoid using expletives)?
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Bleach is obviously there because people didn't want to get D+ just for one show and some countries still don't have access to it.

Funny that you say that because it isn't on Dinsey+ at all. At least in the US. It was put on Hulu, which is where the rest of Disney's anime acquisitions went as well.
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:47 am Reply with quote
I sm so proud of this community!!!! And happy to be a participant as well <3 Nyaa supremacy!!
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Streaming is not really an a la carte model. It's basically cable television, where you have to pay separately for many channel packages. The convenience is generally no ads and you can watch whenever it is convenient.

A better a la carte model would be more akin to something like blockbuster video rentals. Everything is available on the shelf, and you pay selectively to view that specific thing. Streaming services have a lot, but you obviously won't watch everything. Rather than pay monthly, I wouldn't mind an option to just pay to watch one specific thing over a period. Streaming services want to lock you in paying monthly or annually and there may be entire periods where there is nothing of interest. Ideally services would benefit from offering a proper a la carte model where you pay for each show you'd prefer, just like a rental service alongside monthly/annual tiers. That way if someone doesn't care to subscribe to Disney or care about their content, they can still opt to just rent Bleach week to week with a specific season pass price that is less money than a monthly sub at a one time purchase. Essentially there ought to be a pay per view model. But for many reasons, companies don't want that as they want you locked in long term to maximize revenue up front. This is fine for Fan's of certain mediums and brands, Crunchyroll caters to anime fans, Disney caters to Disney/Marvel Fans. But Dusney/Marvel people don't care about anime and anime fans don't care about Disney/Marvel, to the point they'll necessarily subscribe to both services. If there is specifuc content on the other one that they want to check out, they don't care to pay for a monthly sub for one movie or series, it is easier to pirate. At least much of Disney content is at the local theater. Anime, not so much. And many normies are hearing about Chainsaw-Man, but aren't into anime enough to subscribe to an all anime service, and as is clear, anime fans are not bothering with Disney just for Bleach.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
This cuts both ways if these scripts didn’t have such occasionally problematic dialog you would never need to change things that might be tolerated in one culture but considered insensitive in another.

That's not the script's problem. And it is doubtful that anyone who actually appreciates foreign media wants these cultural things altered and watered down because somebody might be upset that another culture doesn't kowtow to their biases. Translators should respect the source material and accurately portray it as best as possible, warts and all. This censorship for sensitivity thinking is not a good practice. Why stop at just mistranslating? Next, entire scenes could arguably be removed or episodes skipped or fundamentally altered and reedited for sensitivity reasons. Many cultures don't all agree with me. But that's fine in the context of media where I expect to see that culture or history portrayed accurately. If there is something I really don't like, I prefer to skip it rather than demand it be altered for my particular comfort. And everyone is free to discuss and critique it in its context.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Bubin wrote:
I was always under impression that people pirate because they don't want to pay.

I think it was kind of like that in the old days back when anime home video was extremly expensive but its Deffinitly not that way now anymore. I for example Spend thousands of dollars on home video, anime box sets, figures, etc because I can acquire alot for the funds and I still have multple streaming sites I use to watch my anime. But in the off chance that certain programs or specific shows are removed which is often the case when contracts expire or a show is just not that popular, I have my own little media library archived of stuff I can still to support or watch. I don't have to go by corporate capitaliasm of watching only things that are being presented to me at the time with certain restrictive censorship such is the case with many lisenced anime properties these days.

I support all these companies at the same time, I like to have my own personal catalogue of stuff I know doesn't suffer the fate of being lost to the annuels of time. Look at the catalogue for classic 80's and 90's anime for example. MANY shows are unavailable to watch anywhere anymore because companies only really support the new stuff and some times they provide a handfull of classic shows but not what the average consumer would want if they wanted to check oldies that have only been lisenced by discotec.

So I come from the belief that as long as your paying for the streams and buying into the home video market, your not really hurting anyone so if you want to "archive" a certain library of shows/anime that could either be censored or not provided in any other way to you, then so be it.
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that the shows I like get purchased on blu-ray when they are released. The companies lose no money from me, they gain it. I just wish they were faster in releasing certain series. We still have some that haven't been released years after they ran on the streaming services.

I always push for people to own the product even if they have acquired it in some other way. That keeps the anime coming our way. My walls are filled with blu-rays and dvds(LDs too). And also remember, when you have the actual medium, if it is taken down from a streaming site, you can still watch it anytime you like.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Dunno how Rick and Morty is there - the latest episodes are free on the Adultswim.com website
oilers2007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
"No one is physically stopping me from stealing this thing, so it feels silly to pay for it." Shocked

I mean stealing a physical item from a store is different than downloading a file. One removes the item from the economy while the other makes a new file and leaves the original. Plus it's a lot easier to just fire up a vpn to torrent or just download the file off a streaming website than to actually try to walk into a store, grab some Blu-Rays, and walk out while worrying about security cameras, door alarms, and all that stuff.

But yeah, unless the laws ever change to the point downloading a scanlation or stream is as dangerous and punishable as robbing a store is then people are going to do it without much thought.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:
Streaming was all about cord cutting so you could get a la carte programming

It was?

Maybe it’s me but I never really thought streaming services were meant to give viewers unbridled access to literally every movie & TV show imaginable especially when such a thing would make these services superfluous and redundant.

As far as I been led towards believe the primary reason for streaming being better than cable was cost.

Richmyster84 wrote:
For me, I refuse to pay for a product from a company that continues to change the context of translations from the source material to fit some political or cultural narrative. Until the dubbing companies acknowledge that it has indeed become a problem,

This cuts both ways if these scripts didn’t have such occasionally problematic dialog you would never need to change things that might be tolerated in one culture but considered insensitive in another.

Richmyster84 wrote:
promise to adhere to better translation standards,

Dude most modern English translations are not without their flaws but by and large they’re significantly better than the stuff fans of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s got where stuff was translated so differently it effectively created it’s own continuity of whatever property was being translated.

Quote:
Maybe it’s me but I never really thought streaming services were meant to give viewers unbridled access to literally every movie & TV show imaginable especially when such a thing would make these services superfluous and redundant.

As far as I been led towards believe the primary reason for streaming being better than cable was cost.

Back when Netflix was mainly the only thing in town all the movie production companies licensed out their content to them so everything was there a la carte. The Amazon and Hulu entered the market. After that is when the streaming wars started and saw the production companies wanting their own streaming service so they could keep a larger portion of the streaming pie. This has backfired on the production companies because the amount of worthwhile entertainment on each service is few and far between so you're mostly paying for crap programming with the occasional good show in a season. People were tired of paying so much for cable with its 1,000's of channels but maybe 4 good things to look forward to watch.

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what you're point here is but it sounds like you're advocating censoring artists? If whichever production company has an issue with the source material they should just refrain from licensing it and let a different production that's willing to translate it honestly do the job.

Quote:
Dude most modern English translations are not without their flaws but by and large they’re significantly better than the stuff fans of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s got where stuff was translated so differently it effectively created it’s own continuity of whatever property was being translated.

So your argument is just because things were worse in the past doesn't mean we should continue to expect better in modern day and into the future? It's kinda like saying modern day black people don't know how good they have when you consider how horribly they were treated during slavery. I know that's a extreme comparison but my point stands.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
Of the shows listed, it works out to about 43% by percentage of popularity.
It would be interesting to note which services aired those shows, particularly if they aired them as they first came out. Even if people have the service they may not want to wait months for the show to show up.
There's a number of services now other than Netflix running anime, and even they can be slow releasing things. It's not as if one can just subscribe to Crunchyroll and get everything right away anymore.
Netflix has already cracked down on password sharing so that's not such an issue for them anymore.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

I mean stealing a physical item from a store is different than downloading a file...

There are differences, sure, but I don't think they're relevant to the reasoning that I was reacting to; in both cases you've harmed the business's incentive to hire new employees, to expand their products, etc.

I think there are some circumstances where the differences are relevant; for example, if you're sufficiently poor that the choices are either don't watch at all or pirate, then I don't really think it's a big deal to pirate, since you're not depriving the company of revenue (since you wouldn't have purchased it anyway), and may even cause yourself to want to buy some of their products in the future. But most people just seem to do it because it's easy and the loss to the company feels a bit more abstract than theft of a physical item; yet, harm to the business and its employees is just the same.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what your point here is but it sounds like you're advocating censoring artists?

No.

But at the same time you can’t legitimately gripe from a fan standpoint if an artist draws a black character with big lips and that design is altered in a market like the U.S.

Richmyster84 wrote:
If whichever production company has an issue with the source material they should just refrain from licensing it and let a different production that's willing to translate it honestly do the job.

Or again maybe the original writers and artists should do their research before putting things into their work like offensive stereotypes of certain groups and then have fans try to justify it with “But it’s art” or “LOL you’re getting mad at a drawing”.

Richmyster84 wrote:

So your argument is just because things were worse in the past doesn't mean we should continue to expect better in modern day and into the future?

No what I’am saying and as you’re ignoring is that modern translations are flawed yes but objectively better than what’s been done before. Your take seems to suggest that most current dub translations are just as bad as what’s come before.

Richmyster84 wrote:

It's kinda like saying modern day black people don't know how good they have when you consider how horribly they were treated during slavery. I know that's an extreme comparison but my point stands.

No no it really doesn’t.
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
No.

But at the same time you can’t legitimately gripe from a fan standpoint if an artist draws a black character with big lips and that design is altered in a market like the U.S

You are most definitely advocating for censorship if the answer to "don't censor things" is "don't put in stuff we need to censor in the first place". That is not an argument against the practice, just an admittance that it's happening and people should not object to it when it happens. Plus your original post talked about problematic dialog, not the way a black character is drawn. Problematic is ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Some localizers think using gendered language is problematic and needs to be removed. So if certain people were in charge of judging things then the bar for finding something problematic would be very low.
Pirating won't magically fix a bad localization unless there's a fan-translation alternative, but at least one doesn't have to pay for the honor of being told they're bad people for liking something or preferring their media a certain way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3