• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs Season 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I forgot he was vampired. Embarassed That'll probably save him.

This is one of those series I should binge from the beginning to sort it all out and piece it all together, since the cast is so huge and I'm just not that familiar with most of the authors to begin with (and why these reviews are invaluable to me). I doubt I'll ever do it though, as it's not so high on my rewatch list right now.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Expecting a Dead Apple moment? Wink

Still, I'm completely lost about Fukuchi's true motive now
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:36 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm guessing it's something like "end all wars" and that's why Atsushi was momentarily conflicted about the righteousness of stopping him. I, personally, would happily help trigger another world war rather than get another "nah-nah my magic sword came from the future to cancel your victory". Last week felt like the heroes were starting to get the upper hand for the first time in this whole arc but after 12 such "actually the bad guys have it all under control" fake outs, i'm really exhausted with this plot
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:35 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm guessing it's something like "end all wars" and that's why Atsushi was momentarily conflicted about the righteousness of stopping him. I, personally, would happily help trigger another world war rather than get another "nah-nah my magic sword came from the future to cancel your victory". Last week felt like the heroes were starting to get the upper hand for the first time in this whole arc but after 12 such "actually the bad guys have it all under control" fake outs, i'm really exhausted with this plot

Honestly, I'm convinced the people behind both the adaptation and the Manga are just working for an ending where Fukuchi just up and wins (with maybe a time skip after to show the aftermath of the events and how poorly everything ended). Because that's where it seems to be going for both. I genuinely will be surprised if they don't commit to that ending considering Fukuchi has the protagonists dead to rights, if not outright dead; and is about to bomb cities to cause billions more casualties
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:23 am Reply with quote
I'm leaning toward Dazai just being shot in the ear or parts nearby because of the angle, and the table being near Atsushi. But what I couldn't figure out was what was keeping Bra-chan from going over the edge with the table, sword and all. For that matter, I couldn't see what she was bracing her feet against when she was trying to pull it out herself. Is his upper half nailed to a backboard or something? I remember him being sort of staked to the coffin with a few spikes, but I thought that was just to keep him in the coffin.

(I should have new glasses by the end of the month! ≖◡≖)
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But what I couldn't figure out was what was keeping Bra-chan from going over the edge with the table, sword and all. For that matter, I couldn't see what she was bracing her feet against when she was trying to pull it out herself. Is his upper half nailed to a backboard or something?

Yeah, the physics there definitely didn't seem to make sense. I thought of the possibility that it would just turn into a comedy scene where the falling table just pulls Bra-chan over the edge.

There's only 1 episode left? I can't really see this conflict being resolved in 1 episode. I feel like this season started to drag a little bit. It feels like it has been trying to outdo itself by doing even more twists than usual but that in turn has taken the bite out of those twists. So many fake character deaths too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Yeah, the physics there definitely didn't seem to make sense. I thought of the possibility that it would just turn into a comedy scene where the falling table just pulls Bra-chan over the edge.

All I could think about was Die Hard and the fire hose, so I thought maybe that was keeping me from seeing what was actually going on. Smile
Axbox360

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
I guess this will end on a cliffhanger with no answered questions.

Also both Fyodor And Dazai poisoned themselves so they both should be dead in 30 minutes if they don't get a serum.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing getting resolved in one episode just gave me whiplash. It was just too much happening all at once, big climactic moments just getting mushed together. Not enough time for me to process what's going on because I was just left a little bit confused. I'm not entirely sure what Fyodor's motivations were. Did he really want world peace? His severed arm being the only thing left makes me think that there's a possibility that he survived. Can't say I ever really understood the clown guy.

Then there's Fukuchi. So apparently through that sword he had a prophecy of a big war and the only way to stop it was to do all this? Did I get that right? Okayy... I'm not entirely sure if his plan was to get killed by Fukuzawa all along or if passing the burden to Fukuzawa was the plan B. Just felt like with his OP powers it shouldn't have been possible for Fukuzawa to beat him.

And then all I could do was shrug at the ending there. I guess there's more...?
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess at least Fukuchi's defeat made far more sense than Aizen or the leader of the Stenritters. Still, it's a shame that Kyoka didn't do a thing in this entire season and that they left a cliffhanger that doesn't explain anything other than that the staff are trying to use the main character.

Em.... what about Sigma?
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I guess at least Fukuchi's defeat made far more sense than Aizen or the leader of the Stenritters. Still, it's a shame that Kyoka didn't do a thing in this entire season and that they left a cliffhanger that doesn't explain anything other than that the staff are trying to use the main character.

Em.... what about Sigma?

I've read a pretty interesting theory about Sigma, actually. I have no idea how likely it is, but I'd be on board with it. This isn't a spoiler, but in case it turns out to be true, I've marked it as such.

spoiler[Sigma will become a new Fyodor. Rather, due to being overloaded by all of Fyodor's memories, he's become comatose right now... but when he awakens, he'll be the second coming. Most people are expecting Fyodor to return, as we never saw a body, but coming back from the dead or reincarnating would feel very appropriate due to the religious undertones. Fyodor's final line before his "death" is something Jesus said on the cross, and we all know what happened later.

Ango previously mentioned that memories transferred by abilities can impact the individual during the download process (the more information, the longer it takes), but I think Sigma got more than he bargained for. I believe he asked to learn all of Fyodor's secrets, which for someone like Fyodor, could be a LOT of information. Sigma was created by the page to serve a very specific purpose, but I've wondered if Fyodor had more in mind. Oh, and we still don't know Fyodor's ability, but it's believed to be triggered by touching another person. At the end of Season 3, a police officer died a gruesome death after touching Fyodor. Maybe his ability is something like "transferring yourself into a new body by touching your target," but if the target isn't suitable, the body can't withstand the process. Someone like Sigma is almost a blank slate, so there's very little to rewrite if Fyodor needs to remove the host's previous identity, and Sigma's ability might help the process.

The only thing I'm unclear on is the purpose. What does Fyodor gain from taking over someone's body? It doesn't seem like he was expecting Dazai to survive, but I suppose Sigma could have been Fyodor's contingency plan. He told Nikolai that Sigma wouldn't wake up for a long time, so maybe the process of awakening in a new body takes a long time. Or maybe it doesn't happen until Fyodor's current body dies. Or maybe he switches bodies, rather than taking over a new one, so he'd pick a time to activate the process someday in the future. As explained by Nikolai (and confirmed by Fyodor), those who oppose Fyodor will be eliminated, so it feels unlikely that Sigma would be allowed to live unless there was a reason. Perhaps he's actually dead now, but I get the impression that Fyodor didn't kill him... and he did so for a reason.

One final thought. Dazai said he'd get Sigma out alive, and he said that numerous times, but things aren't looking good for Sigma. After seeing the Chuya reveal, it feels like everything else went as planned for Dazai (except for maybe the time stopping prisoner being killed, unless he doesn't care about that). I almost wonder if Dazai suspects that Fyodor's ability is as I described above, so he wanted Sigma to test that theory. Dazai still plans on getting Sigma out alive by using Dazai's ability cancel, but he's still using Sigma as bait. If that's the case, it's a shame, because Sigma has trust issues.]

Again, no idea if that's the direction we're going, but I think it's a neat concept.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Em.... what about Sigma?

I've read a pretty interesting theory about Sigma, actually. I have no idea how likely it is, but I'd be on board with it. This isn't a spoiler, but in case it turns out to be true, I've marked it as such.

spoiler[Sigma will become a new Fyodor. Rather, due to being overloaded by all of Fyodor's memories, he's become comatose right now... but when he awakens, he'll be the second coming. Most people are expecting Fyodor to return, as we never saw a body, but coming back from the dead or reincarnating would feel very appropriate due to the religious undertones. Fyodor's final line before his "death" is something Jesus said on the cross, and we all know what happened later.

Ango previously mentioned that memories transferred by abilities can impact the individual during the download process (the more information, the longer it takes), but I think Sigma got more than he bargained for. I believe he asked to learn all of Fyodor's secrets, which for someone like Fyodor, could be a LOT of information. Sigma was created by the page to serve a very specific purpose, but I've wondered if Fyodor had more in mind. Oh, and we still don't know Fyodor's ability, but it's believed to be triggered by touching another person. At the end of Season 3, a police officer died a gruesome death after touching Fyodor. Maybe his ability is something like "transferring yourself into a new body by touching your target," but if the target isn't suitable, the body can't withstand the process. Someone like Sigma is almost a blank slate, so there's very little to rewrite if Fyodor needs to remove the host's previous identity, and Sigma's ability might help the process.

The only thing I'm unclear on is the purpose. What does Fyodor gain from taking over someone's body? It doesn't seem like he was expecting Dazai to survive, but I suppose Sigma could have been Fyodor's contingency plan. He told Nikolai that Sigma wouldn't wake up for a long time, so maybe the process of awakening in a new body takes a long time. Or maybe it doesn't happen until Fyodor's current body dies. Or maybe he switches bodies, rather than taking over a new one, so he'd pick a time to activate the process someday in the future. As explained by Nikolai (and confirmed by Fyodor), those who oppose Fyodor will be eliminated, so it feels unlikely that Sigma would be allowed to live unless there was a reason. Perhaps he's actually dead now, but I get the impression that Fyodor didn't kill him... and he did so for a reason.

One final thought. Dazai said he'd get Sigma out alive, and he said that numerous times, but things aren't looking good for Sigma. After seeing the Chuya reveal, it feels like everything else went as planned for Dazai (except for maybe the time stopping prisoner being killed, unless he doesn't care about that). I almost wonder if Dazai suspects that Fyodor's ability is as I described above, so he wanted Sigma to test that theory. Dazai still plans on getting Sigma out alive by using Dazai's ability cancel, but he's still using Sigma as bait. If that's the case, it's a shame, because Sigma has trust issues.]

Again, no idea if that's the direction we're going, but I think it's a neat concept.

Interesting. Yeah. I kinda felt that Dazai was a bit cold for leaving Sigma there but if that theory makes sense, it at least shows more that he has humanity left to even unkown people just like how he decided to take care of Atsushi and Akutagawa in the past.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I get that the idea of banding together through something like this is supposed to give the nations a reason to stop conflicts among themselves, but the part that seems contradictory to me is that Fukuchi convinced those world leaders to defer to him, and then promptly betrayed them. I could see that having the opposite effect where they decide that consolidating power like that runs the risk of nobody being capable of opposing a nefarious actor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2