• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Pokémon Company Releases Statement Regarding Possible IP Infringement Involving New Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
This is the most "We will check on it if we have the time, stop asking" corporative answer I have sen in a while.

If anything, the only thing have its shown the terrible basic knowledge regarding gaming corporative work from the general public, just seeing how many people think that Nintendo owns Pokémon and that they are scared of Palworld its hilarious.

If Nintendo owned Pokémon they would have given the game development to Monolith years ago.

TsarPlatinum wrote:
I wonder if the main issue is the dude tried to profit off the mod..

Seeing how Nintendo and its associates react to stuff like this, I would say: Yes.

People always say how TPC and Nintendo over react to IP infringement, but they only do it when they are making a new game for the IP or somebody tries to monetice the infringement, they don't care what you do as long as you don't try to make money out of it.

People just tries to do it with Nintendo's IPs more than with others which leads to more news about it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this isn't so much them saying they are going to do something so much as telling investors/partners/people tweeting at them that they are well aware of it and they'll decide what to do when they they are more certain. As fast as they jumped on the Pokemon mod, it's obvious they aren't oblivious to it, and will do something if they are certain of the outcome. I can understand why they are being more cautious here, though. Pocket Games probably wouldn't fold immediately like some rando on the internet, and there is the risk that if they lost a court case, there would be a flood of "close-but-not-quite" games out there.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
If Nintendo owned Pokémon they would have given the game development to Monolith years ago.

The issue is not Game Freak. The issue is the amount of development time. Cursory lookup of the Xenoblade games’ development times are at least 4 years. Cramming a 4 year development time into 3 just isn’t feasible without insane amounts of crunch. The desire for bigger games means longer development times, but Pokémon is stuck on a rigid annual release schedule.

With the exception of the COVID-19 pandemic, which delayed most things, not just the Pokémon games, any significant delay to the mainline Pokémon games could cause huge issues for the merchandising and the companies behind the merch. Easy example would be the card game. If there’s a year delay for the video games, the card game company would have a year’s worth of expansions that would also be delayed (which would probably mean a huge drop in revenue for said year as older sets drop off in sales) or hastily reworked so it doesn’t tie in with said game release. Not only would it be costly for the merchandising companies, but brand synergy would take a hit.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
People always say how TPC and Nintendo over react to IP infringement, but they only do it when they are making a new game for the IP or somebody tries to monetice the infringement, they don't care what you do as long as you don't try to make money out of it.

People just tries to do it with Nintendo's IPs more than with others which leads to more news about it.

How does that explain Pokémon Prism and No Mario’s Sky? That explains Another Metroid 2 Remake with the actual Metroid 2 remake, but there’s no properly similar official game for those two that released anywhere close. That’s like saying that active IPs are also off limits, which ultimately goes back to Nintendo just being hostile towards fan projects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I just find this whole thing funny because people think is going to give Pokemon competition. HA! Right, Nintendo is scared of some lazy asset flip game that everyone is playing because Tekken 8 and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth aren't out yet. Although it has been fascinating watching some people unintentionally bare what they REALLY think about if a game was made with AI or has stolen assets.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The issue is not Game Freak. The issue is the amount of development time. Cursory lookup of the Xenoblade games’ development times are at least 4 years. Cramming a 4 year development time into 3 just isn’t feasible without insane amounts of crunch. The desire for bigger games means longer development times, but Pokémon is stuck on a rigid annual release schedule.

With the exception of the COVID-19 pandemic, which delayed most things, not just the Pokémon games, any significant delay to the mainline Pokémon games could cause huge issues for the merchandising and the companies behind the merch. Easy example would be the card game. If there’s a year delay for the video games, the card game company would have a year’s worth of expansions that would also be delayed (which would probably mean a huge drop in revenue for said year as older sets drop off in sales) or hastily reworked so it doesn’t tie in with said game release. Not only would it be costly for the merchandising companies, but brand synergy would take a hit.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

How does that explain Pokémon Prism and No Mario’s Sky? That explains Another Metroid 2 Remake with the actual Metroid 2 remake, but there’s no properly similar official game for those two that released anywhere close. That’s like saying that active IPs are also off limits, which ultimately goes back to Nintendo just being hostile towards fan projects.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to answer this.

Its going from the premise that Monolith would also need 4 years to develop a Pokémon game, they could need 3, they could need 1, they could need 10, since we don't know that there is no discussion to be made.

There is always a Pokémon or Mario game in development, however, there are 1000 ROM hacks of those games, if Nintendo or TPC cared about it they would DMCA all of them.

If I had to guess, I suppose that PP and NMS had concepts that may or not end in a future game, for example, Pokémon Prisma may have been a real name Game Freak as in a bag waiting to use, NMS's concept was also similar to Mario Galaxy even if the games are nothing alike.

Since we don't know, there is no discussion to have here either, sorry.
mayonakama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I just find this whole thing funny because people think is going to give Pokemon competition. HA! Right, Nintendo is scared of some lazy asset flip game that everyone is playing because Tekken 8 and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth aren't out yet. Although it has been fascinating watching some people unintentionally bare what they REALLY think about if a game was made with AI or has stolen assets.

100% this. To the people crowing about the anticipated downfall of Nintendo/GameFreak/Pokémon on Twitter/in this very comment forum, I’ve got some bad news for you if you think this’ll change anything.
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

The new Tekken or Like a Dragon are not going to sell anywhere near what Palworld has. I don't think it's success has anything to do with those games not being out yet. The Last of Us 2 Remastered came out last Friday and was completely eclipsed by Palworld. It's not an issue of lack of competition. I get that you may not like the game, but there's no real point trying to downplay the game's success and appeal.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I wanna say who didn't see this coming, but then again, you have games like Tunic which is an obvious Zelda clone (which Nintendo seemingly left alone).

Still not surprised though.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
What is with the "not surprised" comments? Did they just ignore what was actually in the article? Because the statement if you read it is basically just "Stop flooding us about that game" and if people make mods, they will get dealt with (like that guy who made the stolen asset mod).
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:
Rooting against the Pokémon company. They have been handling the games poorly for years now. It's about time other IPs come after its crown.

Flawed logic. TPC continues to make Pokemon games, not only monster hunter games. The latter is an entire genre, the former is just one franchise of said genre. If another franchise wants to come after it’s crown, then fine, actually do it, but attempting to while ripping who they’re coming for off is the most sincere form of ironic flattery.

And good luck, considering Pokémon is one of the biggest media franchises in the entire world, so whomever will need it once they actually position themselves to do it, along with 30 years of longevity too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:42 pm Reply with quote
This has been super surreal to watch play out.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:55 pm Reply with quote
As a franchise, Pokemon can live on like a lot of the long time loved ones like Peanuts or Sanrio, etc without actually producing anything outside of merch, but in terms of the games, GameFreak doesn't even have to really try since every new version sells more than the last and with less effort put into it. It's odd...
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:54 am Reply with quote
I can easily dismiss the Pokemon fan being upset because it's just typical console war tribalism stuff that's a tale as old of time. Those people are easy to identity and ignore because I'm old enough to have lived through schoolyard fights over Nintendo and Sega. A while back it was Spider-Man 2 VS Baldur's Gate 3 or Starfield or whatever other game people were trying to slander in the name of PlayStation VS PC/Xbox for it's snub at The Game Awards. The first thing to always look at it is "Is this game on this platform?" and if the answer is no, then there's going to be a lot of angry people throwing everything they can at the wall to justify why they wouldn't even want to play it anyway. As an adult with enough spending money to buy whatever console or game I want, I've long since stopped caring about these things.

The more disturbing/disappointing thing is all the witchunting about AI and thinly veiled racism against Japanese developers. Seen some wild misinformation being thrown around how the game uses AI (it doesn't, but even if it did that's perfectly fine and legal so its a non-issue) and seeing devs from big western studios like Naughty Dog just utterly trash talk the game and calling it "nefarious" or western outlets saying insane takes like 'it was only made to sell money' when it launched for the price of less than DLC for a AAA game. Meanwhile Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth just dropped with $158.81 dollars in Microtransactions including New Game+ and other features locked behind a paywall so there's a target for people to direct their nefarious and money-grubbing comments towards.

It's hard not to feel like it's just another case of dumping on Japanese developers and games because they managed to do something a lot of the big western studios were unable to do. I get the Naughty Dog devs ranting because their big shiny AAA release just got completely overshadowed by the small little Japanese indie game so they got some very sour grapes going on, but all the other developers chiming in just feels like a dog pile rather than a lesson they could stand to take the heart. I'm trying to think if Stardew Valley and Terraria got similar treatment back in the day. With people calling them unoriginal, asset flipped cashgrabs of bigger franchises like Harvest Moon or making tons of charts of how the character designs in Terraria look like they come from Final Fantasy 6. I want to say no.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
The more disturbing/disappointing thing is all the witchunting about AI and thinly veiled racism against Japanese developers. Seen some wild misinformation being thrown around how the game uses AI (it doesn't, but even if it did that's perfectly fine and legal so its a non-issue) and seeing devs from big western studios like Naughty Dog just utterly trash talk the game and calling it "nefarious" or western outlets saying insane takes like 'it was only made to sell money' when it launched for the price of less than DLC for a AAA game. Meanwhile Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth just dropped with $158.81 dollars in Microtransactions including New Game+ and other features locked behind a paywall so there's a target for people to direct their nefarious and money-grubbing comments towards. It's hard not to feel like it's just another case of dumping on Japanese developers and games because they managed to do something a lot of the big western studios were unable to do.

I find it weird you complain about big mean western developers dumping on a Japanese developer for doing questionable stuff with their games in then in the same instance refer to Sega a company based out of japan doing something questionable with a game they published.

People can take issue with both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2