• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lovely Complex Anime Blu-Ray Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, honest question here. how was jello allowed to just rewrite the script like he did. Why was no one able to step in and correct the script back to the real version of the script.

Like I get that the trend in American media these days is that the audience is dumb and subtext is for cowards, but that just seems like a real selfish and egomaniacal thing to do just because I have power and can to me. because now we can't talk about the actors we have to talk about the rewriting of the characters into something they aren't.

I love my copy of the DVDs...honestly I think I will try to show this to some of my friends again...but I will be making sure they don't find out about the dub.
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ok, honest question here. how was jello allowed to just rewrite the script like he did. Why was no one able to step in and correct the script back to the real version of the script.

Not all the rewrites he wanted made it in. Like mentioned, he tried to get the mangaka cameo cut/changed, but I don't think even the WORST localization company would do something so far as to crap on the original mangaka directly. In the series itself, anyway... I see writers and translators do that on their personal social media account, but I imagine even if they had the guts to do it in the work itself there would be rules against it in place. Although the voice they cast for the mangaka cameo was a bit odd in my opinion. That might have been a slight jab at her or all he could have slipped through unnoticed.

But in terms of all the other changes and rewrites that did make it in, I don't think it's anything that hasn't been done before with other dubs. A lot of dubs take liberties with the writing and presentation. I don't personally agree with those usually, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary in this case other than the person in charge did a huge soapbox about it and drew attention to it themself rather than having fans do it on social media complaining about the dub changing things.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:57 am Reply with quote
^
To add on to that: before it was deleted, the statement by Discotek said they stood by the dub by saying dubs usually punch up the script and adapt it for it's intended audience. The most likely answer is because everyone else agreed with all the changes that did make it into the script. And the original studio likely don't care all that much and only have certain ground rules in place to keep the original basics of a show. I know there's a lot of misinformation about Ghost Stories' dub situation, but if we're to believe only one thing from that whole fiasco it was the only requirement they had was to keep the characters names the same and also keep how they defeated the ghost every episode. Everything else was open season.

I just find the timing of all this to be very unfortunate. This happened right around the time another shoujo mangaka committed suicide after a bad adaption of her work came out and she was displeased with it. So seeing people go on to be so disrespectful to another mangaka was sad to see since I guess people learned nothing.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:09 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

This is literally what he was hired to do (although - I heard the dub was mostly made by people who weren't paid??? How is that even legal i dont know, but let's use the word "hired" here anyway). All dubs need someone to rewrite them because what works in a sub doesn't necessarily work in a dub (generally for vocal timing reasons, but also potentially for other differences between how a line comes off when read vs. said out loud). Most likely every dub you've ever seen has had a dub writer who was hired to do just that. (Whether they're generally qualified to do this or not, well, who knows.) The idea that there's a "real version" is a very strange statement - the "real version" of the script is in Japanese.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
This is literally what he was hired to do (although - I heard the dub was mostly made by people who weren't paid??? How is that even legal i dont know, but let's use the word "hired" here anyway). All dubs need someone to rewrite them because what works in a sub doesn't necessarily work in a dub (generally for vocal timing reasons, but also potentially for other differences between how a line comes off when read vs. said out loud). Most likely every dub you've ever seen has had a dub writer who was hired to do just that. (Whether they're generally qualified to do this or not, well, who knows.) The idea that there's a "real version" is a very strange statement - the "real version" of the script is in Japanese.

I believe that user is talking about things like changing character personalities or removing content from the series, not basic linguistics like sentence structures or matching lip flaps to the new audio.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:59 am Reply with quote
Well, yes, obviously that's what's objectionable, but that's not what they said, they said "why was he allowed to rewrite the script from the real version of the script". Which, again, is literally his job.

That he wanted to make insane decisions in doing so is a different topic. And evidently there was some oversight on him in the end. But generally there wouldn't have to be because you'd hopefully put someone qualified in the position in the first place, instead of a YouTuber.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the lack of vetting for him was down to the dub being a passion project. As mentioned, hardly anyone was paid for this dub, and it's unlikely Blaber was paid either, from what he said he volunteered. This is a dub that would normally not be made, period, and was almost entirely cashing in on favors.

I think a partial lesson here is you should pay people for their work to ensure people don't think they can do whatever they want and that consequences are in place if they mess around. Also because people have a right to be paid for their work in general. It's a good way to make sure you hire people who have actual experience with dubs. If it was paid contract work, he might have never gotten hired, and likely would have had more scrutiny put on him. I understand the dub was a passion project and they didn't have much funding, but it seems like that can lead to situations like this. You need to pay people for their work, and treat them as employees. That's just fair, and it also means you'll be able to monitor them more closely, and nobody can just let their youtuber bff wreak havoc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2