• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces April/May Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
While this is great news and all, WHERE'S MAH GURREN? I can't just ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER in my mind forever... /craziness

YEAH! I Need to watch the drill that will pierce heavens!

Who the hell do they think we are!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
And the rabid fansub watchers and the rest represent quite a few hundred or thousand extra customers than ADV would normally have. You won't see these same customers buying crap normally.

Which is why I question why they'd want to buy this one if they don't normally buy DVDs. Again, too many past examples suggest that they won't step up despite what they may claim online. (Although I hope they do.)

Quote:
I can only imagine what companies will charge for anime on Blu-Ray. Probably like $60 per blu-ray disc; good luck trying to sell anything.

You don't have to imagine. Most Blu-Ray or HD-DVD offerings that have been offered simultaneously with regular releases so far have only cost $10 more than a normal DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BluMeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
That's most releases of normal DVDs. For anime, I'd imagine $50-$60.

They'd want to buy it because:

1. Gainax. Gainax fanboyism.
2. Good animation. Far too many shows have crappy or unimaginative or played out styles. Nothing new, nothing exciting, not worth our money.
3. Overall it was a good show. We're not like typical ANN goers where we feel guilty and obligated to buy a show we watched fansubbed. We might watch a show, go "eh" and forget about it. This ends up being most shows. Gurren Lagann the one of the shows deemed worthy enough of purchase. Answeman can BAAAAAWWW all he want about how me and my contingent are killing the anime industry. I say "stop producing crap" and then we'll talk.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann is one of the most anticipated released from ADV and yet still no news. I am sorry to be selfish but I really don't care about any of the other series they are releasing. Good for all the fans that are collecting those but it doesn't do me any good. If we have to wait until after May to get Gurren Lagann that is a little ridiculous. And if they are holding out for a Blu-Ray release then I am going to be even more upset. Just put a sticker on the DVD release to say Blu-Ray release coming soon so those who want it will know to wait for the Blu-Ray release.

And I am also upset that Yotsuba& volume 6 hasn't arrived yet. That was also supposed to be released in February. Sad
BluMeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Either ADV is perfecting the hell out of the release for Gurren Lagann, or they don't really know the power this show has to sell well.

I guess either way I'll still get dvd rips. GG
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Man,some of you make it seem like the end of the world is about
to happen.always wanting a company to bring out your
favorite anime quick.if not you throw a fit.just be glad that ADV is
starting to release their anime's.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:

Quote:
Overall it was a good show. We're not like typical ANN goers where we feel guilty and obligated to buy a show we watched fansubbed. We might watch a show, go "eh" and forget about it. This ends up being most shows. Gurren Lagann the one of the shows deemed worthy enough of purchase.

The same way 'Rozen Maiden' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase' and then bombed? The same way 'MoHS' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase', and essentially flat-lined? The same way 'Death Note' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase', and even with TV exposure has meet with so-so results/reception?

While I hope 'Gurren Lagann' proves to be a hit over it's upcoming mecha competitor, the steaming cowpie that is 'Code Geass' (though I assume it won't), fansub fervor hasn't shown to mean much in terms of forecastable sales.

Quote:
I guess either way I'll still get dvd rips.

Also doesn't help your 'missing sales from the fansub crowd' argument when a post later you mention your really out to download the DVD rips. Not necessarily the best way to back your point.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
As for Keroro Gunsou, people, just read the manga. It's no doubt far superior, isn't packed with dozens of episodes of filler, and doesn't have a frog that sounds like a whiny 5-yo kid. Srsly...

PS> Where does ADV get their english titles? How does "Kyoshiro and the Neverending/Eternal Sky" become "Shattered Angels"? That's worse than Funi's tagline for Shuffle... -_-
The "armchair quarterback" in me says that ADV should just drop Sgt. Frog. It's long, it's got to be expensive as heck to license (given its mega-popularity in Japan) and dub, and it probably won't make any money without a TV deal. After all, they did drop Mermaid Melody for whatever reason, and word is they did so because they couldn't get a TV deal and didn't think the series would be profitable without one.

Count me in the camp of "glad to see Kyoshiro, indifferent about Gurren Lagann." Seems like my whining about it on the AoD forums worked :lol:The new title probably came from the same guy who came up with "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" for Utawarerumono. But I kind of like "Shattered Angels" as a titles -- it's got a certain kind of evocative coolness that will have more "shelf appeal" to those mystical all-important casual browsers, compared to Kyoshiro and-something-or-other.[quote="Key"]Hmmm. . . this shows that some of ADV's ongoing titles are going to have nearly 3-month gaps in between their most recent and next volumes, which is abnormal for them. They must have been down on dubbing and processing during February as well as releasing titles.[/'quote] That is strange, I thought I heard about one of their VAs mentioning on AoD (before their massive "Omg what happened to ADV?" thread got erased by a forum glitch) that things were still "business as usual" on the production side. But that's hearsay to the extreme, so I could be wrong. I was hoping that Magikano 3 would escape delay since Vol 2 came out on time and 3 wasn't mentioned in the previous announcement. But a one-month delay isn't that bad; maybe I'll even have a job again by the time that one comes out.

I don't really understand the anger among fansub watchers at DVD delays -- they've already seen the series, so where's the hurry to see it again? (Unless they're that desperate to see the English audio, which I sincerely doubt given the overall reactions to trailers and promos among viewers who've seen the show in question.) If I see something in fansubs, I don't need to see it again on DVD 3 months after the Japanese airing concludes. I'm perfectly fine with waiting ~1.5 years for the DVDs, because by that time, the series is ripe for rewatching. If anyone should be getting indignant about the Gurren Lagann delays, it's people who haven't seen it in fansubs and are waiting for the DVD release to see it, all while hoping that some random Youtube comment or forum post doesn't spoil them on the key events.
GATSU wrote:
Cutey Honey/Kekko Kamen combo=best ever. ADV, forget what other dumbass otaku say about you. I'm still your loyal bitch, while they're probably just torrent-sharing pansies who take moe seriously.
Ironically, I find that people who don't like moe take it far more seriously than those who do. Moe fans see it as entertainment they like and are willing to speak in defense of, but the "haters" see it as a Great Threat that's somehow Taking Over anime and leading it to its ruin.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
no, those shows were quoted not nowhere near Gurren Lagann in the ability of making hard-earned torrenters want to buy it. Not even close.

And I don't normally like downloading dvd rips. Because the english track is generally first and I have to manually switch over to the japanese and turn on the subtitles. And it does feel more like stealing than simply downloading fansubs. I will buy GL when they release the complete thinpack set. But I don't want that to take 3 years at the rate they're going.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree fully with Zalis116's comment on Moe anime. It is ironic that those who like it, such as myself, will speak in defense of it very strongly while otherwise just being happy it is out, but those that don't like it preach the dogs and cats living together total chaos speech every time the topic is brought up.

Well at least three on that list were ones I was worried about, so again it is seemingly good news, such as Magikano volume 3 and Kanon volume 4 and Pumpkin Scissors... but so far there seems to be mixed news about other titles in this announcement and mixed results from their last round of announcements with people finding some of those anime so far...

Sgt. Frog is of concern, I want to see it released and since they already have the license and obviously have some of it dubbed based on the trailer at least, wouldn't it be a net loss for them to not release something at this point?

Gurren Lagann is another concern to me, it is one rated by many as a "masterpiece" and one I think would do really do well for them here and maybe I was reading too much into the last release but I thought they promised at least some news about it in the next release...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

I don't really understand the anger among fansub watchers at DVD delays -- they've already seen the series, so where's the hurry to see it again? (Unless they're that desperate to see the English audio, which I sincerely doubt given the overall reactions to trailers and promos among viewers who've seen the show in question.) If I see something in fansubs, I don't need to see it again on DVD 3 months after the Japanese airing concludes. I'm perfectly fine with waiting ~1.5 years for the DVDs, because by that time, the series is ripe for rewatching. If anyone should be getting indignant about the Gurren Lagann delays, it's people who haven't seen it in fansubs and are waiting for the DVD release to see it, all while hoping that some random Youtube comment or forum post doesn't spoil them on the key events.

To each their own I guess. Yes I've seen it and quite honestly if I wanted to I could watch fansubs again. But I was really anticipating owning a good quality DVD of a series that I love.

I don't think people who actually want to spend money on the DVD should be given a hard time. People get upset when they are looking forward to something and their hopes are dashed. It's as simple as that.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, with these releases only DMC and Pumpkin Scissors were the only real titles of interest for me. Hopefully we can see more of their other titles later in the year, there were some in those "postponed" titles that I really want to see.
Enchantertim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Either ADV is perfecting the hell out of the release for Gurren Lagann, or they don't really know the power this show has to sell well.

ADV knows full well how much selling power this show has. My bet is that the Japanese also know it, and ADV's still trying to get a new deal that isn't going to screw them over.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I swear, it sometimes feel like there's no payoff for being a fan who wants to wait for the official DVDs.
I saw the first few episodes last year, and when I heard it got licensed I decided it was good enough to wait and purchase...but come on!
When you do nothing(that fans can see) with a series 1+ year(s) after a you announce the license (this isn't the case for Gurren but it is for a great number of shows), how do you expect them to wait? You just end up getting repeatedly kicked in the rear for waiting, while the fansub watchers got their jollies 8 months ago.
I admit, I watch fansubs, but when a show gets licensed, I prefer to get the dvds with the dubs, etc. It just sucks though.
Anyone hear a release date for Darker Than Black yet? Yeah...me neither.

As for the people who referred to Haruhi, and Rozen Maiden, etc. Those don't exactly scream mainstream success just based on the surface impression. But a mecha series from Gainax in the style of FLCL most definitely does.
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
no, those shows were quoted not nowhere near Gurren Lagann in the ability of making hard-earned torrenters want to buy it. Not even close.

I hope that it was just your opinion because in reality Gurren Lagaan have no chance to compete with Death Note or Haruhi in R1.

Quote:
And I don't normally like downloading dvd rips. Because the english track is generally first and I have to manually switch over to the japanese and turn on the subtitles. And it does feel more like stealing than simply downloading fansubs. I will buy GL when they release the complete thinpack set. But I don't want that to take 3 years at the rate they're going.

I can't believe that you don't like DVD style because you have to push 1 more button for Japanese track. Is it really that hard....... Your claim about d/l DVDrip is also ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4