• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Kaiki is one my favorite characters now in this show. This arc highlighted a lot on him and I'm glad it did.

Agreed. It helps that he's being voiced by Shinichiro Miki, of course. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
There are polar bears in Antarctica? Who knew.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Lol at that 90's style OP song. I could totally see Kaiki and Senjougahara staring in a forbidden love drama of a middle-aged teacher having a relationship with a high school student.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Lol at that 90's style OP song. I could totally see Kaiki and Senjougahara staring in a forbidden love drama of a middle-aged teacher having a relationship with a high school student.

Ah I was quite surprised by that as well when I started watching the episode earlier today. I was quite into it though. As for Senjoughara, I found her unexpectedly cute in the latest episode. Kaiki's interactions with Nadeko was a bit awkward though considering the fact he refers to the latter as 'insane'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 23 (Hitagi End 3)

A very interesting retro OP.

So his opinion that Nadeko does not spoiler[expect people to betray her meant that she gets full on wrath at small things]? Which is why she is doing what she is. He thinks she is insane, but with his theory there is still something that he saw at the end that surprised him. What is it?!

Still, even Kaiki could not spoiler[walk away from Hitagi] after seeing her spoiler[face from crying because she was so relieved].

Peace, peace!
Loved that bit, spoiler[Ononoki] can be hilarious. Chances are she is going to spoiler[feel embarrassed about acting like that], just like how she acted before.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
I am always impressed by the characterisation in this series. Nadeko has basically regressed back into a child. spoiler[I do think calling her insane is a bit of the mark, she just has the sensibilities of a child without a sense of right or wrong.] Which is why I think the plan to save Hitagi and Araragi will not work.

It is intriguing what is in the cupboard, spoiler[after all we all assumed that she was forced to kill the snakes in the first season without considering the possibility she was enjoying it.]

spoiler[I am going to guess that the way they will be saved is to get Nadeko to admit to her dark side when she was a human because I still think, as a god, she may believe she is a victim. I am sure we will see Oshino in the finale.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

What is in the closet?!
Whatever it is it was enough that after reading the letter spoiler[telling him to back off], he had a spoiler[cold shower], while it is snowing.

I don't feel like I got enough answers, too much small talk.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 24:

Wow, that phone conversation was awesome. This series has some of the most catchy and engaging dialogues I know of. Kaiki is also an awesome character. His interactions with Nadeko and Senjougahara is definitely something I'll remember for quite a while along with the OP song of this arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

Wow, Kaiki is not actually such a bad guy. He purposely spoiler[put strain on the Senjougahara family so that Hitagi would have a better future, and then went after the cult that did the damage]. Although it rather sad that in both cases he kind of spoiler[failed in actually making Hitagi sad and making the mother move onto an even bigger cult].

The spoiler[foreshadowing] was strong, and in the moment of truth it looked to be spoiler[going well, until "So Mr. Kaiki, you're going to deceive me as well"]. At which point I am sure there is a collective "spoiler[oh shit]" moment from the audience.

And yes there was a part where Kaiki said that spoiler[Oshino Meme has no brother or sisters], and thus no spoiler[niece]. So who or what spoiler[is Ougi]? Not that I already suspected.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kaiki is freaking awesome. I swear, every time I see him now, he is always at his best. I just hope he's ready for what's to come next time though based on that cliffhanger.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh shit that ending. How will Kaiki get out of this one?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 26 (final)

That was a phenomenal final episode, and Monogatari pulls it off without needing to do huge fights and such. The revelation of what was in the closet was indeed insignificant, spoiler[but sometimes the most insignificant thing can be what creates the chain of events]. It turned out the spoiler[closet had books that were filled with manga drawing by Nadeko], and the fact that Kaiki saw these totally spoiler[knocks her out of her god like wrath and into a girl embarrassed by her little secret found, punching and kicking him]. In the end Kaiki convinces her that although she has a good thing going and she can be happy, spoiler[there are more things she wanted, and that the challenge that she could be a god of manga, was something more fulfilling]. Just by describing it does not do it justice, the way they did it went off the concept that people are allowed to change what they want to do.

And of all the times spoiler[Koyomi enters just as Kaiki is putting in a fake apparition and removing the talisman]. Kaiki is able to simplify it all in a simple lie, and give some advice, spoiler[telling Koyomi that he has to leave her alone, that affection with some people can strengthen, it can also ruin]. This played right back into Tsubasa Cat where he makes the choice that he will choose Hitagi, and thus could not go with Tsubasa just because it would have made her happy. With it all over thinks over how spoiler[Hitagi had probably sent the note as she knew it would make him more determined], and also that Gain had probably spoiler[set up the entire warning to also make him determined and give him the ability to succeed]. But then it hits, a loose thread, Kaiki is spoiler[thrown to the ground as we see that the boy that initially put a fake curse on Nadeko, and thus had it thrown back on him, has attacked him. Ougi had sent him], another example of the manipulation of events that spoiler[she had done to make Nadeko a god]. The question remains even larger than ever: Who or what spoiler[is Ougi]?

For a final summary of the season I want to bring up the major theme which was "lies". Earlier episodes had major points like that Tsubasa was lying about her own thoughts, that she actually resented a lot of things, she eventually faced her real thoughts and could move on. Koyomi believed he could stop save Mayoi from her accident, even though it was a huge lie to cause and effect, the resulting lie created a world destroyed, which in itself was caused by another lie, that Shinobu did not want to be found when she ran away. Then we learned the lie that was Nadeko, that beneath her cute shy exterior was someone who did not want to deal with someone else's problem and sick of others foolishness, the supernatural aspect actually turned out to be a lie she made even to herself to get what she wanted. In Shinobu time we learned that Shinobu once lied out of omission that she was a god, and thus the return of a dangerous entity spelled its target as Shinobu. But this was revealed to be a lie as it was actually coming for Mayoi, that the way she was living was a lie that she was supposed to be a wondering spirit, that she knew she could not stay, but kept going, perhaps she had the Courage to tell a lie. I will even mention that the names of the Mayoi and Shinobu arcs were a lie, the names were for the wrong arcs as although each one looked to be about them, it was for the other, one was about Shinobu and timetravel, and the other about Mayoi's undead status.

And for the final arc of this season we had the series master of lies, Kaiki, and it was from him we got quite a lot. From the first call between him and Hitagi were lies, and the biggest one seemed to be that he did not care. As it turned out, things he did to her were things he thought would help her, but they backfired and he nothing to do but lie that he only did those foe the money. He lied to Nadeko's parents, and Nadeko herself and believed that she did not believe people could lie to her, but in the end it seemed that she never trusted in the first place, her easy going actions indeed a lie. And with what we thought would be crazy of her closet, it was something so small, something secret and continued to deny, but was her clearly a dream she had. In a moment she made the decision to lie that she was tricked, and accepted truth. But there was still one lie at large, the lie that Oshino had a niece, something Kaiki revealed was not true, Ougi was indeed that was beyond all of the lies.

Well I liked this season, although the novelty of certain aspects is indeed wearing thin at how slow the pace can be. But there was a clear theme that tied everything together (unless I read way too much into it), and certain parts of this masterpieces, like seeing Nadeko lose it and Mayoi's goodbye. I am really tempted to rate it as a masterpiece, although I really only save that for something special, and this series did not quite wow me enough continuously, so I give it a strong Excellent, although it probably past Bakemonogatari in a certain way.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Overall i liked this at least as much as Bakemonogatari, perhaps even a bit more which is mostly because of the final arc and Kaiki, spoiler[but somebody seriously deserves to get stabbed with a blunt pole for that ending... Sad I have a feeling (or is it hope?) that Kaiki didn't really die there, but damn, that ending really caught me off guard.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure spoiler[Kaiki survived at the end, likely just horribly injured considering he narrated the last bits of the episode]. That was great though, not just the finale but the whole series with its characters, settings, and dialogues. I noticed Araragi didn't make as much as appearances as I had hoped for but the parts he were in were absolutely brilliant especially his grand entrance in episode 5. Of course, Mayoi's exit was absolutely awesome as well and memorable.

Surprisingly enough, I wasn't too fond of Shinobu in this series. I am still a big fan of her's but didn't leave me as much as impact as she should imo. Same goes for Karen I guess. Overall, rating the show as Excellent.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
what a way to end things. the reveal of what was in Nadeko's closet was hilarious. Great second season. onward to hanamonogatari
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14