• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Ringing Bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
He didn't say that human and nature shouldn't belong, he stated that nature was not beautiful. It makes me think of Justin as having a screw loose and thinking the squirrels are out to get him.
While I'll freely admit to having a screw loose, you're REALLY jacking my words around here. Nature is not beautiful, but I'd venture to say man is even worse.

We are.

Quote:
StudioToledo wrote:
I wanted to correct Justin on that and let him know it was a goat, not a lamb in that film too. Wink
Touché. They do, however, both taste fantastic.

They do. In the case of Stormy Night, I had to first find out about that film from Jerry Beck years back when he happened to notice it's existence and reported of it. At the time, I wasn't sure if this'll ever show up here or not, let alone the kind of 'monster' it created with a certain group of people I need not mention here. On it's own, I sorta like the design and characters (let alone the way the wolves can go bipedal in that classy plausible impossibility we take for granted in Western toons), if only the film had an ending I may find more satisfying than it had, I probably wouldn't say nothing more about it.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Seeing as how you are ready to poop your pants over watching "Planet Earth" on BluRay, I don't quite see where this sentiment is coming from all the sudden.

I feel obliged to chime in and say that Planet Earth could be the only BluRay disk ever released and it still would justify the existence of the format--it's THAT good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I feel obliged to chime in and say that Planet Earth could be the only BluRay disk ever released and it still would justify the existence of the format--it's THAT good!
True, but OTOH it's easily the worst-looking BluRay I own. There's a wolf in the first episode that's almost entirely macroblocks. And it's 1080i! WTF!
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
There's a wolf in the first episode that's almost entirely macroblocks. And it's 1080i! WTF!

What did those macroblocks ever do to you??!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
What did those macroblocks ever do to you??!

This is why he says nature isn't beautiful, clearly. It's all coming together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
i would give a lot for a DVD release of both The Mouse & His Child and Ringing Bell. The Mouse and His Child, especially, as that is one of my favorite children's books. (And I love childrens books, so that is no easy task.) Looks like I will have to you-tube these.......or otherwise internet them down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
He didn't say that human and nature shouldn't belong, he stated that nature was not beautiful. It makes me think of Justin as having a screw loose and thinking the squirrels are out to get him.
While I'll freely admit to having a screw loose, you're REALLY jacking my words around here. Nature is not beautiful, but I'd venture to say man is even worse.

StudioToledo wrote:
I wanted to correct Justin on that and let him know it was a goat, not a lamb in that film too. Wink
Touché. They do, however, both taste fantastic.

Apparently you don't hate nature your just really pessimistic and tend to see the glass as empty
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
i would give a lot for a DVD release of both The Mouse & His Child and Ringing Bell. The Mouse and His Child, especially, as that is one of my favorite children's books. (And I love childrens books, so that is no easy task.) Looks like I will have to you-tube these.......or otherwise internet them down.

Best I've done was bought an R2 DVD from DVD Japan of that film. The one drawback of course is the non-presence of an English audio track, which would have been nice given the circumstances they bothered leaving the English opening credits in anyway (Sanrio isn't fooling anyone if they have it stuck someplace for keeps), but it had a nice bonus of an American presskit for the film you could navigate through (though a tad clunky).

Shame the US Sanrio is a tad lazy to do anything about it, or we'd have the movies out right now, perhaps as an internet-only deal if they could manage that!

Only recently, Sanrio has begun to produce theatrical movies again. One is a film of the character Cinnamoroll, while another has been animated with Madhouse Studios called "Mouse Story: The Adventure of George and Gerald". Wonder if those have gotten fansubbed yet? Wink
Vampireseal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
This is the movie that definitively hooked me on Japanese animation. My mother had pointed out to me that it was a Japanese cartoon back in 1984 when I watched it. I remember it from then on. This movie has always left a deep impression on me--it was the first cartoon I watched without a happy ending. Because of this, I loved it. It was beautiful and yet more real than any cartoon I had seen before. Later, I would notice that other Japanese cartoons were like this--they did not compromise on painful endings, and had more developed characters.

I would love to buy this on DVD. Incidently, I've seen both Ringing Bell and The Mouse and his Child. However, I've forgotten most of the latter (I remember the wonderful novel more), but I've never forgotten a single scene of Ringing Bell. It was one of those rare films that burns itself into your memory. And to think I saw this movie 25 years ago!
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
I am lucky enough to have this title on dvd (complete with subs and both audio tracks....I don't think of it as a bootleg, but more along the lines of a "fan restoration" ala Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut) and I honestly enjoyed it. It brought back memories of when I first saw this as a youngin' and it is just as good now as it was when I was younger (I forget how old I was when I saw this back in the 80s).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
I am lucky enough to have this title on dvd (complete with subs and both audio tracks....I don't think of it as a bootleg, but more along the lines of a "fan restoration" ala Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut) and I honestly enjoyed it. It brought back memories of when I first saw this as a youngin' and it is just as good now as it was when I was younger (I forget how old I was when I saw this back in the 80s).

I think I know where you might have gotten that from! Wink

Again, this is the kind of film that would make a lot of people remember after a long time of not having seen it since their youth, it all comes back and it just leads to tears of joy (or pain, definitely pain).
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
I'll bet you do, you sly dog. Wink

But it's true, it's stuff like this and Thief that make me remember watching/reading about stuff as a kid and just smiling when I see it again in my adult years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
The main geist of a lot of posters here including the column is "Today's kids shows are lacking in intelligence and maturity! They should watch more depressing toons to become mature, intelligent individuals!!"

Incidentally, during my childhood, my sister has this mindset that she forced me to watch downer toons like this one (but not this, of course) just so because I "have too much happy endings". But quite the opposite, I was depressed the whole day and developed an aversion to downers.

But it's just my personal tastes speaking for me, I guess, and the apparent thing Justin has for vintage downers.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
I'll bet you do, you sly dog. Wink

Word gets around!

Quote:
But it's true, it's stuff like this and Thief that make me remember watching/reading about stuff as a kid and just smiling when I see it again in my adult years.

Hell the one thing I wasn't thinking of seeing again for a long time much in the same boat as those two was "Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure" (again, search out there and you can probably find a decent fan-made DVD of that flick in it's intended aspect ratio). such a weird movie.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Umm, Charred Knight, ever think that he's talking about the popularized "Innocent Natural Harmony" bullcrap that we put in our kids' faces with movies where lions nobly explain that the only reason they eat antelope is because it's part of an Elton John song?

No one's saying kill wolves. What he's saying is let's look at the real nature where wolves do eat livestock because they're hungry and livestock are easy prey provided Farmer Frank doesn't have his twice-barreled shootgun on hand.

It came off to me like Justin was promoting the destruction of the ugly nature to make it more safe for humans.

It shows me that Justin is incredibly short sighted believing that humanity and nature can not live together when that is a must.

Should you go around trying to keep lions as pets? No, but that doesn't mean you get in a jeep and start gunning them down so you can stuff them and hang them in the den.
I think what Justin was saying is there shouldn't be a Santa Claus in children's up bringing as it creats the visage of shattering trust in an innocent childs' mind, which I think is a bit too far fetched, as the belief in Santa Claus is relative to the belief in God, and his son Jesus, and their pet the Holy Spirit, satan and his lot, and the rest too numerous to list here. It's call the Mystery of Faith. You either believe, or you don't, which in itself is also a belief. I mean I felt sorry for Bambi until I tasted venison. Just what is veal before it's veal, or lamb chops? Besides with today's video games, a childs innocence is soon lost by the time they are 8. Rolling Eyes
Beauty and sadness. How the Japanese emphasise it sooo well? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4