• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inconsistent Moderating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I've seen plenty of posts that I feel are inappropriate (either in content, in soapboxing, etc), that I've reported, and seen nothing done about.

For example, this user had a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

Well the post no longer exists in the public view, so there's that. But by gosh, that is incredible. You would think that a user would get a permanent ban for something like that, right?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I've seen plenty of posts that I feel are inappropriate (either in content, in soapboxing, etc), that I've reported, and seen nothing done about.

For example, this user had a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

Well the post no longer exists in the public view, so there's that. But by gosh, that is incredible. You would think that a user would get a permanent ban for something like that, right?

Why are you even commenting in this thread? Your behavior is so toxic it's barely tolerated. We basically sit around and wait until you inevitably cross the line, which you always do, and we ban you for a while and then tolerate you again because we aren't completely draconian jerkwads about it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
So I'm not allowed to state that I thought Steventheeunuch was completely out of line to what he said to dormcat?

Oh, and as for other posts, well see I'm here in this thread because The King of Harts mentioned me in the opening post and I wanted to address the concerns raised. Is that not allowed?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
At the risk of being criticized myself...

Lots of threads like this lately, huh. Laughing

Well, thank god you guys didn't really read most my posts back in the day.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Much like Zac, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the constant "opinions" on this forum delivered by the same handful of people. While I am, for the most part, ignoring them, it's getting tedious wading through their posts trying to find those of others who've added something worthwhile to read.

Therefore, I'm requesting, for a short time, moderators and staff work together to stop handing out warnings and just moderate/ban people.

I know it's not typical of ANN to ban people, but it's crystal clear some people aren't getting the message.

Just how many warnings does a person need.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Banning is only possible by Admin., whose group is even smaller than the mods'. And to ban someone, you need pretty serious evidence of ill-will, vitriol, failure to listen, and so forth. Not to mention that opinion can sometime be subjective to the administrator's judgement.

The most I can do from my side is see your report and edit or delete the comment. But you have to report it and hope that I'm the one to see it, otherwise that subjective judgement comes into play again (depending on who sees it).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
you have to report it and hope that I'm the one to see it, otherwise that subjective judgement comes into play

I think I read that wrong Laughing

"If someone else sees the report they make a decision on whether to delete it, but me.. kerchuk bang! Kerchuck, bang! Kerchuck, bang!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
"If someone else sees the report they make a decision on whether to delete it, but me.. kerchuk bang! Kerchuck, bang! Kerchuck, bang!"

Nope, you read correctly.

I think there's way too much craziness in the Talkback forum and that overall we're too lenient in how we deal with it. And since I can't ban people outright, the next best thing I can do is edit their post into a comment (deleting their text) or just completely deleting it into oblivion.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Just how many warnings does a person need.

More than I found myself willing to keep giving.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Nope, you read correctly.

I think there's way too much craziness in the Talkback forum and that overall we're too lenient in how we deal with it. And since I can't ban people outright, the next best thing I can do is edit their post into a comment (deleting their text) or just completely deleting it into oblivion.

After these past few weeks of added focus to the Talkback forums I am getting more aggressive in my moderating as well. Some of these threads just get so out of hand and people don't report them until the thread is beyond repair. I issue warnings and people simply ignore them, continuing exactly the kind of behavior I already warned them to stop. I've already had to surgically strip apart the recent Lupin III talkback thread because even after warnings people kept going and just getting worse until I had to just strip the thread of the offending content outright (which cut the thread by more than a half).

I try to be lenient and don't want to be too heavy handed as I recognize that people are people and you'll never eliminate conflict outright. I'm beginning to rethink things after these past few weeks though, that forum is just getting out of control and some people getting away with crap has made them think they're invincible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
How did that happen to the talkback section anyway? It wasn't half as bad a year ago. From what I've been reading, the reviews are even more tame than they have ever been, and even Zac doesn't seem to be so abrasive on his previews anymore. The situation over there is so bad that even I don't wanna get involved.

But can't deny that I'm sorta praying for another show like Kiss X Sis so he can write a preview about it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Well, for the most part the talkback forum isn't as bad as some would like to think. What seems to happen is that there's always a few threads at any given time that turn in to outright warfare that usually boils down to either an intolerance of one persons opinion, or someone taking a difference of opinion and making it personal (ie the latest "you don't like fanservice so you must be a sex-hating closed-minded puritan/you like fanservice so you're a perv" debacle). Of course, no one reports it to us until that garbage is already 3 pages deep and everyone in the thread is involved.

However, in reality it is actually mostly still a fine forum. If I go to the talkback forum right now there are only 2 or 3 threads on the first page that need attention and have gotten out of control. The majority of them are still just fine and are not an issue.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
I think we've had a few too many problematic posters show up and I've been a little too tolerant. It may be time to get a little strict.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, I still enjoy the talkback forum regardless. Just not getting caught up in the snowball. And I don't see it as necessarily bad, just a waste of time for anyone who tries to regulate it.

Rather than warning the users about ban, or simply editing their posts (which is the least effortless of all), how about just deleting whatever the biggest aggressors say in the aggravated thread straight away for a short amount of time?

I've seen a few warnings already, and each time they just flock over your reasoning.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Of course, no one reports it to us until that garbage is already 3 pages deep and everyone in the thread is involved.

Sometimes it is hard to report (which post are you going to report? All of them?) when it someone starts out as an instigator and the discussion hasn't yet taken the turn for the worse until it's a little too late. I highly doubt the people who are involved will report each other since they love spewing vitriol at each other and some bystanders either don't care (avoid the thread), like to see the battle go on even though it might be some stupid argument or maybe hope the people who are arguing will stop at some point.

And, once someone says something about why the thread went down hill...it's already a little too late.

But, maybe that's changed recently with more people reporting posts and stating that so-and-so is a known problem so let's squash this before anything happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6