• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Debut Gets Australian Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Great news but I'm still interested if this will only be a standard definition stream or what.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Like-a-whoa. So y'all in Australia can stop complaining about getting your anime late. Very Happy This must be the first time in the history of anything that something came out in Australia first. I am so jealous of you guys.

Anyone know how to set a computer to Australia-mode? I can't WAIT 6 more months, man! *hops up and down impatiently*
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Anyone know how to set a computer to Australia-mode? I can't WAIT 6 more months, man! *hops up and down impatiently*

Where are people getting this "six months" from? Was there an official announcement that I missed? (It's entirely possible)
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Lucky for those fans in Australia. ^^

I just hope that it may get a stream here in the States soon too (I may be a dub-only fan, but if I can at least watch the new series until a dub is possibly released, then I'll go with it ^^).
Lames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It really doesn't matter to me. Once its on the net anywhere, it'll be everywhere... fast.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lames wrote:
It really doesn't matter to me. Once its on the net anywhere, it'll be everywhere... fast.

Given the Aussies are on the other side of the International Dateline, the first Raw rips should be in the USA when the East Coast is commencing Dusk.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Lames wrote:

Given the Aussies are on the other side of the International Dateline, the first Raw rips should be in the USA when the East Coast is commencing Dusk.

That is what makes me truly sad. Crying or Very sad I want nothing more than to experience the new FMA series thru legitimate channels. Say, when an anime company here announce the rights to it. *cough* FUNi *cough* and subsequently releases the first subbed and dubbed episodes, thru whatever avenue they choose.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yay for Australia and Madman Ent, thats the way to go...Very Happy

Quote:

Concerning the fansub front, more than 12 groups have already pledged to release fansubs of the title, so we are going to have top notch releases by eps 3, both in 720p and 1080p (since FMA is bound to have a good raw supply from many sources)...^^
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Concerning the fansub front, more than 12 groups have already pledged to release fansubs of the title, so we are going to have top notch releases by eps 3, both in 720p and 1080p (since FMA is bound to have a good raw supply from many sources)...^^

My question though is why? They know it is going to be released in the R1 market and are increasing it's global presence (both with the Australian Simulcast and Asia Simulcast, with others maybe on the way.)

So why are you stealing legitimate streams and simulcasts, this is not "getting anime to the people." or "To increase the awareness of Full Metal Alchemist." So what's the excuse? Anime importation of R2 or R1 DVDs to expensive? Can't wait for a legal stream that may happen on a non-region locked site? This reeks of entitlement and impatience more than any sort of "doing the industry good!"

So these fansub groups pledging to do this, they are not appreciated by me, nor do I see them helping, and really no one should be excited that they are doing this.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Quote:

My question though is why? They know it is going to be released in the R1 market and are increasing it's global presence (both with the Australian Simulcast and Asia Simulcast, with others maybe on the way.)

So why are you stealing legitimate streams and simulcasts, this is not "getting anime to the people." or "To increase the awareness of Full Metal Alchemist." So what's the excuse? Anime importation of R2 or R1 DVDs to expensive? Can't wait for a legal stream that may happen on a non-region locked site? This reeks of entitlement and impatience more than any sort of "doing the industry good!"

So these fansub groups pledging to do this, they are not appreciated by me, nor do I see them helping, and really no one should be excited that they are doing this.

1. There are plenty of fansub groups who really don't seem to care if there are legitimate channels which an anime series is being distributed through.

2. This news is quite new. The various fansub groups who have said that they're going to sub FMA announced it before this bit about it being simulcast in Australia was announced.

3. If you want anime in HD, you pretty much have to get fansubs. This generally includes titles which have been fully released in the US since Blu-Ray releases of anime are still quite rare. In the case of a new anime, it's highly unlikely that you're going to be able to get HD through legitimate channels. You'll be lucky to get normal SD through online streaming and such. There's no way you're getting HD. Until you can legally get anime in the US in full HD with no DRM as soon as it's released in Japan, there are going to be fansub groups who sub it. And there may still be fansub groups at that point who insist on doing it so that they get subtitles and translations the way _they_ want them.

Now, I'm not saying that the fansub groups are necessarily right in subbing shows - whether they can be obtained through legitimate channels or not - but there are plenty of reasons for fansubbers to continue to sub anime even if it can be obtained legally.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
Because people want fast, high-video-quality subtitled releases, and fansubbers will continue to supply them until the licenseholders themselves do so?
Never mind that in the anime-watching world outside of the US, streaming releases are essentially nonexistant (bar a handful of Gonzo offerings), and those that are available are terrible in terms of video quality.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
HD? That's the weakest excuse I have heard of. Ever consider that Blu-ray sales would have to be good to continue making more of them (also add dealing with Sony for disc releases, and If I recall correctly there are legitimate HD streams), as well as reverse importation issues that the Japanese companies are afraid of?

So really it's because they want there anime for free over any sort of "noble" purpose. What makes them worse is that they really would not be fansubbing this release, remember Japanese dialogue with English subs is what is being released, so really any fansub group who picks this up to release is doing so for selfish, impatient reasons.

@edzieba: Gong anime here on this site, it's region free.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
HD? That's the weakest excuse I have heard of. Ever consider that Blu-ray sales would have to be good to continue making more of them (also add dealing with Sony for disc releases, and If I recall correctly there are legitimate HD streams), as well as reverse importation issues that the Japanese companies are afraid of?

So really it's because they want there anime for free over any sort of "noble" purpose. What makes them worse is that they really would not be fansubbing this release, remember Japanese dialogue with English subs is what is being released, so really any fansub group who picks this up to release is doing so for selfish, impatient reasons.

Gong anime here on this site, it's region free.

I think that the the noblest purpose that fansubbers generally claim is that they get subbed anime to English speaking audiences far faster than the R1 companies do. They aren't trying to help the R1 companies. As you say, their doing it for "selfish, impatient reasons." I really don't think that they have much in the way of legitimate excuses for what they do. It really comes down to 2 things normally:

1. They release far faster than the R1 companies do - sometimes within 24 hours of the Japanese broadcast.

2. Some of the shows that they sub never get licensed and their releases are the only way that those shows are accessible to English-speaking audiences.

There's really nothing noble about it and there are very good arguments which say that the fansubbers do more to hurt the R1 anime industry than help it. However, the fansubbers have plenty of reasons to continue what they're doing, so they'll continue.

And, as for the HD, the reality of the matter is that at the moment, generally the only way to get a show in HD is to get a fansub of it. And for some people having HD is important. It's just one more reason for fansubbers to do what they do. Eventually, we'll get Blu-Ray releases of anime in the US for all shows which are released here, but Blu-Ray is very much in its infancy in the R1 anime industry.

In any case, my point is that there are plenty of reasons for fansubbers to do what they do. Those reasons aren't necessarily noble, but they'll keep doing what they do because they see benefit in doing so, and there will be plenty of people who are excited about them doing it.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well I've made my opinion about the "shows that never get licensed." That while maybe true once, is now killing the R1 and other markets chances for it being released (why try to sell a DVD of a show that it's niche has already fulfilled and it's audience has moved on to steal the next one? The thing is you can't, so a company that might have looked at a smaller series will say no because they won't see a profit or a break-even in doing so.), and this show definitely does not have a "it will never be released here" to it at all.

As to speed, this goes back to what I've asked before, "Why is there a need to see it now?" Surely anyone can survive without the latest and greatest from Japan, it's not a vital need. Also the fact that we (the R1 market) have a lot of anime available that most of those who watch the latest and greatest through fansubs have not seen. I mean me and my older brother have not seen every anime that is available to us now, so even if I wanted to get a new anime series to watch I could go for a legal stream, youtube- Funimation (Youtube even has a High Quality/HD streaming found here http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation), joost, hulu or rent or buy if the price is low enough a new series that I have not seen before that is available to me legally and immediately.

As for HD, I'd say support the Blu-Ray releases that the R1 companies have been doing, so that they see the value in continuing Blu-Ray releases.

All it really boils down to is having a bit of control and patience, it's coming, especially this series, so we can feel 99.99% confident that it will be released here and maybe have more legitimate streams/simulcasts in the works before it goes and airs on Japanese Television.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that most objections centre around preserving the R1 licensors. It may sound callous, but why do we need them? Sure, it makes distribution of discs to retail stores easier for the rightsholders, but if the internet has shown anything it is that the distribution of a franchise wholly though retail outlets is no longer viable. Like Gonzo has done (albeit with lacklustre quality), on-line same-day distribution with NO region locking (i.e. directly from the original rightsholder rather than via regional licensors) is the way to go. Fansubs clearly demonstrate that there is a significant market for same-day HDTV-quality releases, and that market is entirely untapped.
Quote:
@edzieba: Gong anime here on this site, it's region free.
Hence why I said essentially nonexistant. 7 ageing shows of questionable video quality isn't exactly a broad spread.

tl;dr: If the current model of shunting foreign distribution to licensors who release DVDs at a far later date is not sufficient, then the distribution model must be changed. There is absolutely no technical reason not the release same-day HD-quality subtitled streams. Either there is a large enough market to sustain the stream, or there is not (in which case there is no problem with fansubs for that show, as there would be no revenue stream anyway).

Last edited by edzieba on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6