• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Announces HD Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Having just spent six years repurchasing the bulk of my VHS and Laserdisc collection on DVD, I don't think I'm going to replace what I already own with yet another video format for at least another decade.

Whichever format wins the high definition wars will probably still be a niche format compared to regular DVD, at least for the foreseeable future, just as Laserdisc had enough of a market of high-end videophiles for it to survive for the best part of two decades yet LD was always a very niche format compared to the vastly-inferior VHS because most people who owned only VHS players weren't that concerned with resolution and CD-quality sound, or, even if they were vaguely aware of the advantages of the LD format, they couldn't afford or weren't willing to spend the big bucks to upgrade, especially after pre-recorded VHS tapes increasingly became "priced-to-own" in the mid-1980s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
If I may put in my $.02
This link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/HDVideo.aspx
points out what WMVHD is. Nothing to do with the DVD player, it's for hooking your computer up to the HDTV/entertainment system, which is the best we can do until BluRay comes out.

So, it's in MS interest to promote it this way. (Other [non-WMV] HD formats are really expensive (look at over a grand at least))
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Why not keep your current DVD's and DVD player and when the newest technology (blue ray or HD-DVD) becomes prevalent and cheap enough for everybody to buy, buy the appropriate player and media for titles that you don't already have.

They might even make a combo drive with both current and new tech, but from what I head, the new tech will be able to play the old DVD's
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Nothing to do with the DVD player, it's for hooking your computer up to the HDTV/entertainment system, which is the best we can do until BluRay comes out.

Actually, that is incorrect. It's no wonder that MS would promote it that way, so that a mass of people will then go upgrade their computers. There are, in fact, standalone DVD players that support WMV-HD. As I said in an earlier post, since the format is fairly new, it's a standard supported format in all DVD players.

In any case, as others have already pointed out, it is fairly useless to convert something to an HD format that wasn't made for it in the first place, at least when it comes to anime.
Angry John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
While I'd wait a while myself for the HD-DVD format wars to be over before purchasing a player or the discs.....

I gotta tell you Noir looked really great on my Mitsubishi when they were broadcasting it on the InDemand HD network.

It was a lot sharper than regular DVD and Muriel's red top wasn't vibrating up and down from red-push like she was flexing her pecs... Cool
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Nothing to do with the DVD player, it's for hooking your computer up to the HDTV/entertainment system, which is the best we can do until BluRay comes out.

Actually, that is incorrect. It's no wonder that MS would promote it that way, so that a mass of people will then go upgrade their computers. There are, in fact, standalone DVD players that support WMV-HD. As I said in an earlier post, since the format is fairly new, it's a standard supported format in all DVD players.

In any case, as others have already pointed out, it is fairly useless to convert something to an HD format that wasn't made for it in the first place, at least when it comes to anime.

Was not aware they had dvd players that could play that standard. Saw no mention on the net when looking for them.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
There are no current players on the market that will play them.

The new HD-DVD players and Blu-Ray will

Current players support the WMA standard (audio only) and may at some point support WMV, but they won't support beyond standard def
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
There are no current players on the market that will play them.

Well, the I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2 supports it. . The only problem is that it is also a network video player. From their site I can't determine if it will only play WMV-HD over the network, or if will work on an encoded DVD as well.

There is also the Malata Diva-2 which from what I hear, is a piece of crap, but it both encodes in and plays in WMV9
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Just because something plays back WM9 does not mean it will do HD.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Just because something plays back WM9 does not mean it will do HD.

Yes Sword, that's obvious. The LinkPlayer2 specifically states it supports WMV-HD. The Diva 2 has, at best, extremely limited information on the net, even on the Malata website. I have yet to find a manual or anything else to give me decent information on it, other then everybody hating theirs. I did run across run persons site where he was talking about Diva 2 and HD, so I went ahead and put it in the post. As of right now, I'm not sure either way if the Diva 2 only uses the standard codec or the HD one.

Zensonic's
Z500 will support WMV-HD. The first prototypes are supposed to be unveilved in a few days, and it should hit the market in March. V Inc.'s Bravo D3 will support it, if it ever makes it out. It was supposed to be on sale by the end of the year, but V Inc. has given no information on it, and apparently pulled the press release anouncing the D3 from it's site, so who knows if they are still working on it. Kiss was working on an WMV-HD player, but it has not made it to market yet Samsung was supposedly working on something that was supposed to be released this month, that's all I know.[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3