• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Hey, man, there's a Beveridge here!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
It's fine if you didn't understand "why" the show was made, your opinions are whatever.

But please stop throwing the word "moe" around like some catch-all term of what's wrong with the show (or all shows for that matter). "Moe" this, "dere" that; it just sounds like your reaching for something that's not there; instead of trying to understand the characters in the show.

And this is exactly what I meant by "making stuff up." There is no "moe" or "dere" in Spice and Wolf. And Holo acts in a realistic a manner given her background and personality that's been set up. Moeblob is things like K-On, not Holo.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
They say the name of the anime in Spice and Wolf ? Really? lol! Reminds me of how in Deep Blue Sea they said "That's the answer to the riddle. Because that's what an 8000 pound mako thinks about. About freedom. About the deep blue sea" *cringe*. Sometimes it's best not to do things like that lol!

lol, the worst time was in Paprika when the guy was like eating something, and was like "this could use some *turns and stares directly at the camera* Paprika!". it was an awful scene >.<

Prede wrote:
As for western animation. Look I tried to like it, but almost all of it is crap. There are of course the rare amazing film like Coraline that I really enjoy, but most of it's eh, or worse anoying. And TV forgett it. It's hard to find a cartoon that's watchable on TV at least for my tastes. So yeah anime is much better then western animation. And no it's because people in Japan are naturally more talented or something lol. Theories like that are floating around and it's a bit scary. But I think the one HUGE problem with western animation entirely is it's look at as nothing more then throwaway entertianment. Either something to use to babysit children, or fart jokes for adults (that are always throw away kinda shows, episodic and such). The Animation Age Ghettois a big problem hurting western stuff, preventing some cartoons from truly becomeing something. There are other problems too, and there are things that help western animation. But until we get the idea that cartoons are for kids, or otherise must be adult homor (i.e. Simpsosn), I don't think we'll see that many amazing stuff on this side of the Pacific. It's sad too because I want there to be more great stuff out here. Stuff like Coraline make me have a lot of faith in the entire american animation industry! If something like that can be made, perhaps there's hope for more great things to come?

we just need a modern Ralph Bakshi. He was an animated film auteur, and strong pushes of the "animation isn't just for kids" ideal back in like the 60-70s. and he made the first animated x-rated film.

There's also Don Bluth, another pretty notable animated film auteur a bit later than Bakshi. He has tons of amazing works to his name.

There's also the guy who did the Watership Down and Plague Dogs film adaptations. Watch Plague Dogs and tell me it isn't more mature and thought provoking than half the anime out there...

But of course the most modern (and afaik the only one to dwell on TV shows) is Genndy Tartakovsky. Seriously, dudes a genius.

But yeah, pretty much all our great guys do movies. We need some strong TV guys <.<.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
Man, I must be one of those small subset of a subset of fans who really liked Spice & Wolf for the whole economics storyline. I'm an accountant by trade and education and once I started finding myself paying greater and greater attention to what was going on, I really started enjoying it. And at times you really do need to pay attention, if you want to understand why someone was making or losing money if the price was predicted to go up or down in the future. And Holo always seemed to be a good add to this because she has been alive for so long, the use of wisdom through age / experience seems to be very helpful for Lawrence.

And it breaks my heart a little when Zac and Justin say the economics in the S&W story are boring. Anyone who wants a job, that will allow them to earn an income, that will allow them to buy anime products, needs to at least have an awareness of economics. Every time we buy something, we are practicing economics, whether we realize it or not. But yes, I get it, not everyone wants a school lesson in their anime.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, 60 to 70 episodes a week. I don't think I could even watch that much anime episodes a week. I think maybe the most I watched in a week was like 30 or 40, maybe a bit less than that. Even then I had to find other things to do during that time. I have to give my respect to Chris for his viewpoint on reviewing Hentai, it is definitely not for ever one, it is still a medium that someone does need to review.

I liked the first episode of Spice and Wolf that I saw, but yea it really did move slowly as paint drying. I'm not sure if I will just buy it later on when it's on sale or if I find it for a cheap price or if I will just rent the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Oh, and on the Blu-Ray front, I'd say that any show that was created by a studio that had some decent artists (and a budget) will benefit from being brought over to Blu-Ray. The best examples of this that I can think of right now are Zeta Gundam and Yu Yu Hakusho. Both look fairly awful on DVD (both of which I own in their entirety), but they look incredible on Blu-Ray. Yu Yu Hakusho in particular is like an entirely different show, with a different color scheme even (I compared my DVD's to a friends imported Blu-Ray set, and the colors are definitely different). Needless to say, anything that was a theatrical production in Japan will definitely benefit from Blu-Ray as well. I saw a single frame of Galaxy Express 999 (the movie version I believe) on Blu-Ray a while ago, and I fell in love with the art work. I know that we'll never get that in the United States, but it is amazing how much detail was there in the cells that comprised the early animation releases.

Interesting quote on GE999, as from the reports I've read (on AOD even), it's considered an awful looking bluray. They basically DNR'ed the heck out of it sadly. lots of detail lost in the backgrounds. It's smooth and sharp, but at a noticeable cost. If Bluray and HD have a flaw, it's that too many studios are afraid people see HD as synonimous with smooth and flawless, hence some ardent grain scrubbing tends to happen (not too often thankfully). I'd be a bit concerned about YYH if the color's too different. I did some comparisons on Macross from the R1 to the R2, and the R2 was flat out messed with on color (it's a huge issue with most of these restorations).

I agree though that any show out there can benefit from the format. If not from the resolution gain, then from the breathing room on the disc lessening the compression. I agree with Chris (amazing the heck out of me) on the lossless audio. Even if you can't use it now, it still sounds better. Just compare VHS stereo to 2.0 DD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

we just need a modern Ralph Bakshi. He was an animated film auteur, and strong pushes of the "animation isn't just for kids" ideal back in like the 60-70s. and he made the first animated x-rated film.

There's also Don Bluth, another pretty notable animated film auteur a bit later than Bakshi. He has tons of amazing works to his name.

Ralph Bakshi and Don Bluth aren't really the first directors I would think when talking about good animated movies although they both have a very recognizable style. The best "western" animation since the 60's to the early 90's was mostly made in soviet Russia. The animation artists in the USSR had a relative freedom because there wasn't as big concerns for the profit as in the USA and animation was short or feature films, not extremely low budget television series.
Shinmaru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
The appeal of Spice and Wolf, for me, is Lawrence and Holo's interactions and how amazingly well they play off each other as they grow closer. Justin and Zac are both movie buffs, right? Have either (or both) of you seen The Thin Man, with William Powell and Myrna Loy? That's the kind of relationship Lawrence and Holo have, except it's a bit more focused on romance, and the verbal sparring is a few steps below. But as Lawrence grows more comfortable with Holo, and his confidence also grows, he dishes out just as much as he takes from Holo, and it's very entertaining.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Definitely another good guest this week. I always catch Chris' panel at Anime Boston, and you can always tell that he is a man who really enjoys his work. It's refreshing to see a reviewer who isn't a jaded, cynical pain in the ass who hates most everything, or who isn't a gushing fanboy who makes everything sound like the greatest thing ever. The amount that he watches each week is stunning to me as well. I probably finish that much anime in a month. Yet another good one guys, keep up the good work.
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Another interesting podcast. ANNCast is becoming one of my favorite podcasts since I discovered it two months ago because of this "inside" information that we normally don't get to see or hear. While I listen to other podcasts for the reviews, I listen to ANNCast to find out about more about the goings on of the industry. I do hope that ANNCast will continue to be the "industry insider" that has been so desperately missing.

-------------

Well here are my comments to some of the subjects touched on. I am definitely in the "dub camp". I see it as a waste for a DVD to be released without a dub track. Back when DVDs were first, I picked up a copy of Hunted Junction, which was labeled as "bilingual". Normally, when something is bilingual, you would assume that it has both the Japanese and English audio track. However, in this case, "bilingual" meant sub-only. Oh was I furious about the mislabeling as I probably wouldn't have bout the DVD set had I realized that it was sub-only.

Now I can understand why some more recent releases are sub-only do to the current market conditions. However, that doesn't mean that I'm all that accepting of the situation and hope that it is only temporary, especially when the sub-only releases aren't particularly cheaper then the sub/dub releases. I do hope that the current sub-only release will eventually get a English language dub when the market conditions improve and that we will also get back to having both subs and dubs on all DVD releases.

-------------

As for AoD/Mania being the only major website that reviews hentai, I will say that is a major problem for articles about hentai anime and manga on Wikipedia. Wikipedia's inclusion criteria is that a subject must receive significant coverage by reliable sources that are independent of the subject. For media articles, this takes the form of two or more detailed reviews by reputable/reliable sources. However, most hentai anime and and especially manga are lucky to get one AoD/Mania review and are at risk at being nominated for deletion.

-------------

I currently don't own a Blu-ray player, in part because they are still expensive. But also, I'm waiting until the multi-disk players comes onto the market at a good price. That may take a couple more years. I also still need to replace my TV, which is still standard-def., to make getting a Blu-ray player worth while.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Tsundere's are sort of bitches by definition. I'm not defending them by any means, and I actually hate that character type, but there is obviously a fairly large contingent of people (especially in Japan) that eat it up. I have absolutely no idea why, but I guess it plays into some sort of Japanese male (Otaku) fantasy of a relationship where they have none of the responsibility, and where the female half wears the pants.

It's not just female characters, we see the same thing with Sanji from One Piece towards Nami, Vivi, or any attractive woman in the show really.

What's more, it's the ol' double standard. A man displaying the same characteristics wouldn't be denigrated as a "bitch," or any other pejorative associated with strong/commanding women; granted, the Tsundere blows the normal range of human emotions to the absolute extremes of silliness for the sake of comedy (among other reasons).

Re: The Male Otaku fantasy

Sounds like an Oedipal complex or infantilism to me. In Japanese society, traditionally, the Wife/Mother rules the roost. From household finances, raising the kids, stressing education, cooking/cleaning, she does it all if it pertains to her household, her kids, or her husband (Waifu Fantasy).

Discounting the Tsundere archetype as a comedy gag, is there little wonder as to why the externally fierce/commanding but internally loving and doting motherly-type female would be fetishized and lusted after? That sounds rather Oedipal to me, much more so than what we see in the "typical" male otaku fantasy of the avg. (to well below avg.) male being pampered or fawned over like a king by attractive or above average women/girls *cough* harem *cough*.
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
More on Spice and Wolf (blah blah, fanboy, whatever):

Also, I can't be sure how closely you could watch this show and walk away from it thinking it was about economics. It's a relationship show about the 2 leads with a backdrop of economics.

This show is purely about the interactions of Holo and Lawrence, everything is there to service that.

And I'm not sure how Brina portrays the character (only saw a bit of her from the first 2 episodes), as I know you watched the dub, but perhaps it was her performance that somehow gave you this "bitchy" feel from Holo. Ami's original Japanese lacked any feeling of bitchiness what-so-ever.

Last edited by Karisu on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
And I'm not sure how Brina portrays the character (only saw a bit of her from the first 2 episodes), as I know you watched the dub, but perhaps it was her performance that somehow gave you this "bitchy" feel from Holo. Ami's original Japanese lacked any feeling of bitchiness what-so-ever.

Other than the portrayal of a female canine?
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Karisu wrote:

Other than the portrayal of a female canine?

Touché.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I got mentioned on ANNcast (re: the wife comment). I feel vindicated somehow.

Yeah, the podcast certainly can get extremely negative sometimes. For the last two I was getting a bit of a 4chan feel from it.

Zac wrote:
Karisu wrote:
Baffling how a show so many seem to love you hate for reasons you've seemingly made up on the spot.

Are you guys trolling for hits for your podcast or what?

...when did I say I hated it?

I dunno, people usually associate phrases like "ready to throw the [expletive] DVD out the window" with hating.

Pandadice wrote:

To this day, I still think the animation for The Secret of NIMH looks better than most anime movies.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
Oh, and on the Blu-Ray front, I'd say that any show that was created by a studio that had some decent artists (and a budget) will benefit from being brought over to Blu-Ray. The best examples of this that I can think of right now are Zeta Gundam and Yu Yu Hakusho. Both look fairly awful on DVD (both of which I own in their entirety), but they look incredible on Blu-Ray. Yu Yu Hakusho in particular is like an entirely different show, with a different color scheme even (I compared my DVD's to a friends imported Blu-Ray set, and the colors are definitely different). Needless to say, anything that was a theatrical production in Japan will definitely benefit from Blu-Ray as well. I saw a single frame of Galaxy Express 999 (the movie version I believe) on Blu-Ray a while ago, and I fell in love with the art work. I know that we'll never get that in the United States, but it is amazing how much detail was there in the cells that comprised the early animation releases.

Interesting quote on GE999, as from the reports I've read (on AOD even), it's considered an awful looking bluray. They basically DNR'ed the heck out of it sadly. lots of detail lost in the backgrounds. It's smooth and sharp, but at a noticeable cost. If Bluray and HD have a flaw, it's that too many studios are afraid people see HD as synonimous with smooth and flawless, hence some ardent grain scrubbing tends to happen (not too often thankfully). I'd be a bit concerned about YYH if the color's too different. I did some comparisons on Macross from the R1 to the R2, and the R2 was flat out messed with on color (it's a huge issue with most of these restorations).

I agree though that any show out there can benefit from the format. If not from the resolution gain, then from the breathing room on the disc lessening the compression. I agree with Chris (amazing the heck out of me) on the lossless audio. Even if you can't use it now, it still sounds better. Just compare VHS stereo to 2.0 DD.

I probably should have said that it looks amazing compared to the awful old master (of GE999 that is). It may not set the world on fire in terms of image quality, but it looks so much better than it used to. Having said that, it is obviously way overpriced, and for that price you'd think they could have left off the DNR, but oh well. I only got to see the one frame, but I'm hopeful that the finished product will live up to how spectacular that one frame appeared (if I can ever import it for a price that isn't insane). For what it is worth, the guys at AOD said that Zeta Gundam looks awful on Blu-Ray as well, but from first hand experience I can say that their opinion is moot and that it is worlds better than the terrible DVD's that Bandai put out years ago. I don't really trust the opinions of so called "videophiles" mostly because they find faults where no one else would ever have seen them, and then they complain about those faults as if the entire transfer is crap. Case in point, there is a thread on the AVSforums where people claim that the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is a DNR'd, EE'd mess and that it is almost unwatchable. I have that Blu-Ray disc, and I think it looks absolutely stunning. There is no pleasing some people, and I don't let them ruin my viewing experience.

As for YYH, the color isn't dramatically different, but it is definitely a bit brighter and more vibrant on the whole I'd say. I have a feeling that the culprit is a poor DVD transfer, and not an overzealous color correction by the remaster studio. It could also be that the lack of blocking was making everything appear more crisp than it ever was before (I don't know if there is any EE or DNR, but I didn't notice any problems with regard to either of those things). Then again, it could just be the poor performance of my friends Blu-Ray player at playing DVD's, or any number of different things. I didn't have enough time with it to make a serious observation, but I did watch long enough to see just how great the show looks compared to the old DVD's (which is what I meant by "almost a different show" moreso than the color being off, though I realize how it could have been interpreted that way)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8