• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I can understand it; I still remember seeing the first episode of Occult Academy and thinking "Wow what a steaming pile, *dropped*" (in the end, I am glad I saw it through) but then I came on the forum here and people were generally praising it quite highly. When general consensus runs completely contrary to your own personal opinion you start to have doubts about both, and even reading other people's posts you can't help but sometimes fail to understand why people do like something.

Also, to be fair to Kruszer, I honestly have absolutely no idea why I like this show. I hate mecha and the mecha designs in this would automatically completely piss me off; the Glittering Stardust or whatever they are called group are so camp it's not funny and the main character's clothing transition from normal to gay is quite laughable as well.

And yet for some reason I love this show; all of it. I love the over the top fights an "ginga bishounen" and the lead mecha with the high heels and the energy feather in its hat, the lead chick and her forgotten fiance, the fish girl singing (I really like this, that melody is haunting and makes me feel a little sad for the girl in the cage), the mysterious organisations, interesting characters and unresolved mysteries. So there, I think I just answered my own question (and maybe also the question of why people like this show). I actually found it easier to like than it by rights ought to be. Stupid mecha series Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I really like the protagonist. But I don't the mecha design much. I expected it to be "shonen cool", but it's more like "shoujo cool", and that doesn't work well with robots it seems!

Except that it is working. Quite well actually.

So now this show makes complete sense

It's an AU Utena damn it.

Anyone who's seen Utena will agree that "Monochrome" is the same type of "pre-battle" music just like Utena had. Personally, I'm in love with the OST for the show so I hope it never goes away

-There has to be some sort of law against Watanabe/Adult Bank being that hot.

-Whoa, the animation got rather...TTGL-y doing the sword fight. Hell, that just made it more awesome. Dual-wielding is always cool.

Anyone catch that CM music bit? "STAR DRIVERR~~"
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
^Ah, so that's where the "Glass-kissing" comes from. Smile

Also, LEG-CROSSING ACTION!!!
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Also, LEG-CROSSING ACTION!!!

I've never seen such an amazing combination of annoying and hot at the same time.

(The best part about that scene was how they apparently needed to do that after every sentence)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
The amount of support I see for this show confuses me a bit since I personally find it kind of annoying and don't see the appeal of it. My general to just about everything in the show is: Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, ye ol 5 episode rule applies as always so I'll at least be sticking around for a few more episodes at least.

And I don't get why somebody can't at least see why this show does appeal to people. Are you really lacking that much understanding that if you personally aren't grooving on a show it becomes absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for you to imagine anybody else doing so? I always find that attitude kinda narrow-minded. There are shows I don't like personally but I've never been, "zomg, this show isn't appealing to me, how can anybody else like it??? Isn't everybody's opinion just like mine???"

I don't know which tree you're barking up but it's not mine. I stated pretty clearly there that at this point I'm still open to the show and will give it more time to entertain me. I just thought there'd be more people commenting on how flaky and histrionic the show is. Being that I find it so glaringly theatrical to the point where it's kind of obnoxious, I thought it strange that it isn't mentioned more is all.

Quote:
the fish girl singing

I would agree there. I like her singing and the song. Otherwise the show just hasn't "hooked" me yet.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer - actually, from what I can tell, the "glaring theatrical" nature of the show that you don't like is one of the reasons a lot of us do like it. I find all the campy flourishes quite entertaining.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got that from reading the topic. I don't see the appeal of the "Fabulousness" though. Confused Laughing
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Kiraboshi!
Okay, so now that I left my brain at the door and watched the show, I can finally post here.
Faaaaabulous, if you don't think of anything. Absolutely ridiculous, but very entertaining. It's like, if I'd allow myself to think about what I'm watching, I'd probably have an aneurysm, but this is one of those series which should have a sticker warning you to switch off your brain before watching.
The character design is the only thing I don't particularly like, among all the fabulousness, at times generic, at times making them look retarded. There's the usual hesitancy of the lead, and the fact that I'm unfortunately being reminded of Kida every time he speaks. Still, I love the Zero Time effects and all that, even if they are reusing a lot of sequences.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The amount of support I see for this show confuses me a bit since I personally find it kind of annoying and don't see the appeal of it. My general to just about everything in the show is: Rolling Eyes

The appeal of this show is quite clear. The super barbie girl transformation scene! That protagonist is a rare gem, indeed. The only thing that really bugs me is how he's really falling for the south girl. I dislike her; she's way too generic and bland.
Let me guess, she'll be the most bland maiden (out of the four) in the series. Argh.

I must say, this sort of [insert comic filler for 15 minutes] added to [insert 5 minutes of plot] isn't really doing much to me.
On the other hand, the president of the science club is hot and completely makes up for that!
Quote:

I don't see the appeal of the "Fabulousness" though.

Perhaps I can lend you the 3d glasses I've been using to spot the fabulousness of this fabulous anime.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not keen on convincing anybody that he must like things that I enjoy. Things made for everyone tends to be enjoyed by no one.
Star Driver tricked me out. If I hadn't seen "Monochrome" part by accident, I wouldn't have ever give it a chance. Mecha? My God... It's senseless... perfectly senseless the way I love. Baroque, surreal stylisation so strange that it even don't pretend to be realistic, isolated world, things pretending to be important (but are they)? Sold.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

The appeal of this show is quite clear. The super barbie girl transformation scene! That protagonist is a rare gem, indeed. The only thing that really bugs me is how he's really falling for the south girl. I dislike her; she's way too generic and bland.
Let me guess, she'll be the most bland maiden (out of the four) in the series. Argh.

I must say, this sort of [insert comic filler for 15 minutes] added to [insert 5 minutes of plot] isn't really doing much to me.
On the other hand, the president of the science club is hot and completely makes up for that!

Well at least since there's some minor progress in the story the show is not a total bust for me anymore. I just guess it was wrong of me to expect the same levels of greatness from the same studio that did Eureka 7, Kurau: Phantom Memory, RahXephon, Sword of the Stranger, and Darker Than Black. Sad

Quote:
Perhaps I can lend you the 3d glasses I've been using to spot the fabulousness of this fabulous anime.

Unfortunately 3D has never worked very well on me either. I'll borrow your secret decoder ring though. That'd be more useful in solving the mystery.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say though, even for this show, episode 5 was weird as hell.

Hilarious, but still weird.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, two episodes behind...I need to catch up with this show tonight. I'm LOVING it so far. Yoji Enokido ftw. We need some sort of international release in January (lol)
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I just guess it was wrong of me to expect the same levels of greatness from the same studio that did Eureka 7, Kurau: Phantom Memory, RahXephon, Sword of the Stranger, and Darker Than Black. Sad

I'm in the same boat; even went as far as to admit in the news thread that I expected great things of this, and I usually don't expect much of many series.
If Bones really does discontinue DTB (I'd hate that, because I was and still am confident in a sequel), and given their recent works (Heroman and Star Driver), they're bound to fall off their pedestal. It's not that they are bad (HM and SD), it's just that it doesn't reach the level of their past work. With more action Star Driver could be awesome, but what we're getting is about 30 secs of action each episode.
I won't be disappointed until I've seen the whole thing though. I still believe this series could be epic.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist Star Driver has a specific, theatrical and filled with absurdity atmosphere. You should ask yourself whether you like this kind of atmosphere or whether you are able to at least put up with it to see if Yoji Enokido (the scriptwriter of Utena) treats us to serious mind screw with sinister twists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8