• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the stupidest manga ever made.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The manga adaptation of Gundam Wing. Gundam Wing was mediocre as an 49 episode TV series. Then someone had the bright idea to condense it into a 3 volume manga.

And Tokyopop's font and translation just made it worse.

[strike]i only like the omake Anime hyper[/strike] whoops i didn't realize a few other people said that already..
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
The Frankman wrote:
Please. Those are all lightweights. Hamsters City is the winner BY FAR. Cool
http://www.tokyomanga.com/hamsters-city/cover.html

My God, that's amazing. I actually hope it's by someone in their 30's. Heehee.. you made my day.

Luckily I haven't had the experience of a really, truly stupid manga yet. *keeps fingers crossed*

Omg, there is even a store for it!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Gekkoh. this manga sucked so bad. it's like an extremely generic version of Tenjou Tenge. boy meets girl-girl is in Yakuza-Girl gets naked a lot for no reason-stupid-stuff happens-repeat 3 and 4
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Gekkoh. this manga sucked so bad. it's like an extremely generic version of Tenjou Tenge. boy meets girl-girl is in Yakuza-Girl gets naked a lot for no reason-stupid-stuff happens-repeat 3 and 4

TenTen is already pretty generic to begin with, so I can't imagine what this gem is like (nor do I want to).
But there really isn't any one manga that can be called the "stupidest". Just one looks at most of the titles being scanslated will give you a good deal of crap. I don't like to denounce a whole genre, but most harem titles suck. Same goes with many of the smutty soap operas that populate the shojo demographic.
While I can't say I've read it, Manga Sagawa-san probobly earns the title just for the purposely (I assume) horrid artwork and the subject. Created by the notorious Issei Sagawa, a man who, while in France, murdered and ate (yes, ate) a woman only to be transferred to a Japanese mental hospital and released a couple years later thanks to his industrialist daddy (great example of parenthood). After being released, he became a sort of bizarre celebrity, and proclaimed himself an artist. In the manga, he recounts his deed and, from what I've read, glorifies himself. Just what I want to read: a serial killer whacking-off to himself on paper. What a world we live in...
Monumension

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I can't say I've read it, Manga Sagawa-san probobly earns the title just for the purposely (I assume) horrid artwork and the subject. Created by the notorious Issei Sagawa, a man who, while in France, murdered and ate (yes, ate) a woman only to be transferred to a Japanese mental hospital and released a couple years later thanks to his industrialist daddy (great example of parenthood). After being released, he became a sort of bizarre celebrity, and proclaimed himself an artist. In the manga, he recounts his deed and, from what I've read, glorifies himself. Just what I want to read: a serial killer whacking-off to himself on paper. What a world we live in...

Good god Shocked! That sounds like a worthy candidate for most tasteless manga ever.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

sure to be a hit with the Guro crowd.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
There's this one manga in Japan that I saw, can't remember the name, though, as soon as I find it I'll mention it to you guys.
Angelcake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I believe that there is a piece on Japattack.com about various 'infamous' manga that includes a piece on Manga Sagewa-san. They even have a sample of it.

I myself believe that 'stupidest' is all in the taste of the reader.

However, there are times when a really good manga can go sour REALLY fast. Mostly because the plot takes a turn for the crappy.

One of the best examples of this is the manga of Kia Asamiya. His artwork is fantastic, but alot of his stories occasionally leave much to be desired. They start out fine, but after a while the plot just deteriorates into something generic and/or preposterous as it relates to the work.

Cyborg 009 suffered this same problem. spoiler[In the begining it was fantastic........but then Ishinomori decided to ressurect the main character and then the whole thing went to hell.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Just realized this, but this thread is at least one year old. And I've not been on the forums for two days and I see six manga threads locked.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

The best quote is on page 11 It starts out with the text above the characters: "The two hampster will go on many Adventure Before they get to hampsters city. They will meat up with other hampsters on the Adventure."
Then even the main character says "the story will get better. I hope."

hahah!!! Note, all spelling, capitalization and grammer has been quoted exactly. hahaah!

Khrim
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

I can't believe I read the whole thing. But I couldn't stop laughing after reading it. I could have sworn it was going to turn out to be some kind of ad for IKEA...
Larrix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, i've seen that also. Why do they lock their threads Question
redundancyincarnated

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
the dumbest manga of all time had to be boys be. it was just a series of stories of guys wanting to get into girls pants... and the characters didn't really change that much... very bad plotline it would've been better if it were one whole story
anime_hazel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

thanks so much for the link...it depends what your personal definition of stupid is...

is it...
a child's level of language/grammer?
the quality of the artwork lacking in intelligence?
a level of pretentiousness so high it becomes stupid(but if it requires so much thought it becomes intelligent?Eg i wouldn't call Blame! stupid...)
a level of comedy that is only funny on a childish rather than childlike level..when it is aimed at adults?
Whether you can forgive something for being stupid because it makes up for it with cuteness...or dare i say...lesbians kissing...?

Personally i find anime stupid if it doesn't satisfy the genre it pretends to be, and doesn't make up for it with character depth/originality/emotions/substance...etc.

So the stupidest manga I've read is Deus Vitae...it pretends to be an exciting sci-fi, and the artwork looked interesting...but it turns out to be a pretentious rip off of the matrix/g.i.t.s. - hence the stupidity.

As well as interesting spelling, and 10 pages of hamsters looking for an apartment :S this is why I find Hamster City's conversationsal gems stupid..

Hamster: They don't eat hamsters anymore.
Other Hamster: Why did they stop?
Hamster:Because they have a fish farm now...

I was hoping it was a comedy element to lure them into Catville...but no...the cats really are nice *dies*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lijakaca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
My personal vote goes to Akuma na Eros - I really hate rape fantasies, and Eros didn't even have original characters or an interesting plot or...anything really.

I'm basing this on reading the first few chapters, it was enough to turn me off for good. Haou Airen might be even worse, but I'm not willing to read it and find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4