• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toester_Strudel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sure this doesn't sound like complete doom for both companies but this doesn't sound like good news for jrpg fans. Still wonder how SE will do business wise in the next 6 months.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And.... we're done. That's a wrap people... nothing left to see here.
Can't say I'm too sad if Square-Enix never makes another game. They haven't made anything I liked since FFX.

And yes, I know SONY selling their shares doesn't mean SE is going out of business, but I have this feeling their games are going to keep on sucking even more now.

Why do some people hate FFXII????!?!?!? That game is Godly
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Best dump it now while it's still worth something. SE are headed for very bad times in the near future thanks to some of the truly idiotic business decisions they made this past console generation (eg. releasing a major MMORPG based on their most popular franchise, Dragon Quest, only on Nintendo platforms... platforms notorious for exceptionally poor online infrastructure and online userbase presence and also releasing a truly broken MMORPG based on your second most popular franchise, FF, that is so unplayable you end up sinking almost your entire company's development resources into fixing it for years.). How the mighty fall. From releasing multiple multi-million selling titles a year during the PS2 days to barely managing to scrape out titles that can sell one million is a sure fire sign of a company on it's way down and out. Sony need the money right now for sure, but selling their stake in SE is definitely one of their smarter sells in recent times that's for sure.

Oh, and I am positively laughing my ass off at GrilledEelHamatsu here also... it's not exactly rare to see an ignorant blowhard try to pass off complete misinformation as being grounded in reality on an internet forum, but to double down on statements like "Square-Enix will not be supporting Playstation in future because of this" and be serious about it is just amazing.

Thank you so much for the laugh Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And.... we're done. That's a wrap people... nothing left to see here.
Can't say I'm too sad if Square-Enix never makes another game. They haven't made anything I liked since FFX.

And yes, I know SONY selling their shares doesn't mean SE is going out of business, but I have this feeling their games are going to keep on sucking even more now.

Well after reading this I don't have any faith left in square-enix period. Sure bravery default was great game and I really wish that dragon quest 7 would get localized but you know what I don't care anymore.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133780-Square-Enix-Says-DRM-Is-Here-To-Stay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Why do some people hate FFXII?

I think the game play in XII is terrific, but the cast is a bit boring. Vaan is largely a cipher, and I got really tired of listening to Kari Wahlgren's heavy breathing as Ashe. (C'mon, folks, let's have dual audio and subtitles please.) She's also rather uninteresting compared to heroines like Yuna or Rinoa. I've found the supporting males more impressive of late, particularly Balthier (sorry, but you're not the main character) and Auron. However the game play in XII is much more fun. I wish they had carried over fully-programmed gambits to XIII. I got tired of mashing the X button in that one.

As for Squeenix/Sony, it would be absurd for S-E to stop releasing games for the PS platform regardless of the financial arrangements between the two companies.
Quote:
The PS4 has already had an incredibly strong launch, outpacing not only its closest rival, the Xbox One, but every other generation of Playstation before it. Sony sold 4.2 million units in 2013, as compared to 3 million for Xbox One — and that’s with a significant supply constriction. The PS4 also “nearly doubled” Xbox One sales in the US for January. That’s especially important, because the Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 in the US and Western Europe throughout the last generation. So the PS4 has been winning a war fought mostly in enemy territory, and today it regains some homefield advantage.

The Xbox brand has struggled in Japan since day one, and it doesn’t appear that Xbox One will do much to reverse that trend — as the Escapist points out, even the very basic idea of “the living room,” central to Xbox One’s design philosophy, doesn’t really hold up in Japan. Its biggest games are all geared towards the Western market, and Microsoft seems to have wisely decided to largely cede the island to its rival.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/02/21/ps4-will-pull-further-ahead-of-xbox-one-with-japanese-launch/

I'm more interested in how Sony's financial struggles will play out in the anime arena. With Animax, Aniplex, and A-1 Pictures, along with Sony Music of course, Sony has been a major force in anime productions and distribution. If anything, its role has increased in recent years. A-1 has made a number of well-regarded series of late like Shin Sekai Yori and Space Brothers, and Aniplex has an expanding monopoly on major hits like Madoka Magica and the -monogatari series.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's no reason for Square-Enix and Sony to stop working together just because Sony is no longer a S-E stockholder.

Of course there is! They have so many better options!

There's Xbox One! The Xbox systems do great over in Japan........right?

Okay then, how about Wii U? Tons of people own that system right......oh. (granted, I own one and love it, but I don't represent the majority here)

Seriously guys, I highly doubt SE is so stupid as to not continue supporting the currently best-selling console worldwide as well as the one in Japan. MAYBE they could switch to doing 3DS exclusives only but I doubt it. All this doom-and-gloom talk based on wild predictions is once again the Internet being the Internet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I never understood why anyone would double down on a company which cost them a fortune with The Spirits Within. Oh, yeah, it was that late 90s, early 2000s Silicon Valley bubble which caused people to throw money at any stupid idea. [Time Warner/AOL, anyone?] Still not a real excuse though. But if I were Sony, at least I would've jumped ship after I got my money back with the help of Advent Children. No point in sticking around afterwards.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Sony might've sold the shares to free up some more cash, but that doesn't mean that part of the reason they chose to cash out of *Square-Enix* in particular is that they felt it wasn't particularly useful for them going forward... that Square-Enix was no longer a benefit to their stock portfolio.

So, yes, Sony is having troubles financially, but that doesn't negate Sony's apparent view of S-E's future value.

Also, S-E isn't going to stop making games for the PS platform: there are only so many platforms they can put their games on, and if they sulk and refuse to make games for the PS platform, it will do them some serious financial harm in terms of lost sales --> lost revenue. S-E isn't doing so well that they can afford to take that sort of financial hit.

They don't need to support PS anymore. The PC business in Japan is healthy and the Arcade market is re-emerging. SEGA's RingEdge 2 and Nu lines have 3rd party support. SE cares more about their domestic market than anything else.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sounds about right; Sony has been a financial mess for years and no amount of going on about their game business is going to change that. Their electronics is a complete mess; their tvs haven't made a penny in years while they had to sell their computer division. And then there are the headquarters they've gotten rid of. Selling of anything isn't a good sign
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
There's no reason for Square-Enix and Sony to stop working together just because Sony is no longer a S-E stockholder.

Of course there is! They have so many better options!

There's Xbox One! The Xbox systems do great over in Japan........right?

Okay then, how about Wii U? Tons of people own that system right......oh. (granted, I own one and love it, but I don't represent the majority here)

Seriously guys, I highly doubt SE is so stupid as to not continue supporting the currently best-selling console worldwide as well as the one in Japan. MAYBE they could switch to doing 3DS exclusives only but I doubt it. All this doom-and-gloom talk based on wild predictions is once again the Internet being the Internet.

Cue the delusional fanboys who think SE is doing badly, think they'll continue supporting Playstation when they no longer need to and think that PS4 is leading in Japan when its doing abysmally.

You didn't even read the latest sales figures from Dengeki and Famitsu, it is a commercial FLOP out there with barely 13,000 units a week.

Console Warriors and their hyperbole. Makes me laugh. Too bad they don't have a clue how business works.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't give enough information to go into panic mode... From poking around Sony didn't even have much/any say in what Squenix did.

Rolling Eyes

Squenix will continue to make games for whatever console/handheld that brings them money.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Sounds about right; Sony has been a financial mess for years and no amount of going on about their game business is going to change that. Their electronics is a complete mess; their tvs haven't made a penny in years while they had to sell their computer division. And then there are the headquarters they've gotten rid of. Selling of anything isn't a good sign

(Applauds.)

Finally, someone else who knows what's really going on and someone who's ignoring the ludicrous hyperbole and fanboy talking points.

Sony is nearly $50 billion dollars in red. $15 billion in losses on PS3 and $30 billion dollars worth of capital gone in a decade's time.

You don't lose half your entire company capital and expect to be in black.

Let's see: In TVs, Toshiba,LG and Samsung outselling and clobbering them 7 to 1.

PC Notebooks: Just sold off their division. Expected to gain $3 billion from the sale but still must pay $1 billion of that to stakeholders.

Cameras and Camcorders: JVC is beating them.

Columbia/Epic Records: Revenue has declined.

Sony/Columbia Pictures: Hasn't produced a box office hit in 7 years.

Sony Store: Just closed 80% of all its stores in America.

Expenditures: Sold off property to pay for PS4. When a corporation rents property they are paying for it through loans meaning, they'll soon be paying creditors back.

Credit Rating: JUNK. Meaning 2 years away from bankruptcy.

SCEI and its products.

PSP: Dead overseas. On life support domestically.

PS3: Declining in Japan. Has had overall slow sales overseas during its 7 year lifespan(not helped by $15 billion estimated losses on it. 7 years of R&D+4 years of budget shortfall losses).

Vita: Dismal sales worldwide. Modest Japanese software sales but if the product isn't selling, that makes no difference.

Vita TV: Bombed in Japan. Despite cheap price.

PS4: Got off to a strong start overseas, but completely lacking must-buy software, lackluster software sales and has no exclusives, period. Yield problems causing shortages, still being sold at a loss. Domestic sales, completely abysmal.

All of this and their fanboys still think Sony is in black?!
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
This doesn't give enough information to go into panic mode... From poking around Sony didn't even have much/any say in what Squenix did.

Rolling Eyes

Squenix will continue to make games for whatever console/handheld that brings them money.

There's little profit left in Playstation domestically as far as SE is concerned. SE is looking at other viable platforms.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jesus Christ this is just too good to be serious Laughing Laughing Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Sony/Columbia Pictures: Hasn't produced a box office hit in 7 years.

I was about to post a bunch of links that prove this completely wrong but then I thought "why would I bother doing that".

Carry on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6