• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Would An American Creator Have Control Over Their Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
What about the marvel stuff?

that there is a good point. however cause stan lee more or less had full reigns when they made their anime versions of iron man , blade and x-men,its a mood point. the same thing when he was mainly part of the anime version of heroman and the ultimo manga project he did with shonen jump.

then again considering that this is mr marvel himself and not someone from the dc camp that would have driven an anime committee completely bonkers with massive overhauls and stuff that would have peeved off the entire otaku community, its more or less a given madhouse gave stan the reigns when it came to those anime versions of those series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought answerman's response to this question was insightful and spot on. I have some experience working with American and Japanese animation studios and I completely agree with his comments. I would also like to add that I am excited about LeSean Thomas' kickstarter pilot because he is an American creator that is using a Japanese studio to produce his project. Maybe it just takes having good relationships on a creative level to work across our borders successfully. I hope it starts a trend.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much it would be different if the writer in question speaks Japanese?

I guess I should probably work on getting as much experience speaking and listening to Japanese in business settings to understand the subtleties before trying to work with anime...

Anime smile; my main dream is to get one of my novels made into an anime, so that's why I'm mentioning it.
Quote:

What would Shakespeare say about Blast of Tempest or Romeo x Juliet?

He'd say, "Wow, you people still care about this stuff 400 years later?"
It wasn't done to really preserve plays like that - Shakespeare wrote his stuff with the intention of having it seen as disposable entertainment, but the actors he worked with got together a few years after he died and thought, "Hey... this stuff was actually really good," and got the First Folio printed, with (almost) all of his works.
And that's why we have more productions of Pericles in the past decade than almost any play by other 14th-18th-century authors, at least in the West.
Do not bother with Pericles. There's a reason they haven't made an anime of Pericles.
. . . oh, no, don't tell me someone did.

But Shakespeare would probably think those were truer to the spirit of his work than, say, some high-art production of Titus Andronicus using mime, and water balloons full of fake blood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3