• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
My kids are 14 (boy, ASD) and 12 (girl). Neither is particularly interested in anime, nor have I really sought to get either of them interested. I've always preferred that they find their own interests. I think it's kind of dorky when I see friends from college or old jobs boasting about how they're going to watch Star Wars for the first time with their kids like it's this big special moment, and I just don't get it. Let your kid pick their own stuff to watch. My daughter's really into wildlife and other things I have no interest in, and that's great because she chose it herself. My son is kind of locked into things that have always been around in the house (autism and familiarity, right?) so he mostly plays PlayStation 2 games (meaning I have to keep buying used PS2s as our 15-year-old consoles fail after a year of daily use). He used to be into Pixar DVDs, but mostly hopping around chapters and menus and special features.

That said, there's not that much that I'm into that would ever have been appropriate for them. I'm not watching a ton of blood-n-guts anime or anything, but pre-teens aren't going to get anything out of Clannad After Story, y'know? I took my daughter to Your Name last month, and she liked it well enough, but it's part of her aging out of the all-the-same Pixar/Dreamworks/Illumination corporate product and into different/better movies (my wife took her to Hidden Figures and Queen of Katwe over the last few months too).

tl;dr: once you have kids, you will have way worse problems than whether or not your kids like anime.
YuriAoi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Lol, my mom started with showing me dbz when I was really young and I still love it^^ along with quite some more anime now that I'm older, I think it can be partially 'manipulated' by showing anime and partially just really what the person in question prefers. ^^
captokita

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the kid, and depends on the age.

For our daughter, she LOVED Sailor Moon. Subtitles helped her learn to read (quickly) but also GET it, meaning, she knew what they were saying. Which also helps in language skills. I only wish schools around here offered Japanese as a language, as I think it would've been a great thing to have.

Through her teenage years, she basically watched the shows we watched. Now as an adult, she watches what she wants, but not nearly as much as we do.

Basically, don't force it, you can't make a kid like something, you can show it to them, and they will either take to it or not. If they like it, cool, if they don't, no real loss, they're their own person, with their own likes/dislikes.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Since the original question entails a baby I would say this is a long term proyect since kids do not get into anime until they are at least ten, let's call it the "Human Instrumentality Project", I mean, what can go wrong with it?

JB Gra wrote:
The only parts I noticed have caught her attention from animes are the openings and endings

That is an excellent idea, youtube is full of those, you only need to make a huge playlist and see your toddler wreck havoc on the toys at the tune of jojo's bizarre adventure or Naruto lyrics Anime hyper

One last general idea, do not outright forbid any anime, sit down with your progeny and explain why it is not appropriate for him to watch at his age some content he is not yet mentally prepared to digest. The mother of a friend of mine prohibited him from watchin sombrita because she deemed it to be a violent show, of course she watched it behind her back, she was shocked when Roko died, since in all western cartoons nobody dies (unless you are already dead like Casper the friendly ghost).

The only certain thing is that the world is spinning too fast and I have no idea what shows will be popular ten years from now.
scowler

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
When my two daughters (both now teenagers and anime fans) were younger, we had a grand time watching Princess Tutu and Shugo Chara.

But the one that we remember most fondly is probably Angelic Layer.
skyechan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I have shown 10-12 year old children Angelic Layer and Kaleido Star which they seemed to really get into. Angelic Layer I recall a few of the kids drawing their own angels for.

For younger, I second Ojamajo Doremi that someone else listed. Sailor Moon's always good, as are Pokémon and Digimon series. I remember enjoying Kiki's Delivery Service when it aired on Disney when I was 5. Saint Tail could be a good one to show as well.

I also second the recommendation maybe not purposely showing anything until they're at least 5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
That said, there's not that much that I'm into that would ever have been appropriate for them. I'm not watching a ton of blood-n-guts anime or anything, but pre-teens aren't going to get anything out of Clannad After Story, y'know?

Funnily enough, I follow a blogger by the name of Dad Watches Anime whose first experience with anime with Clannad; he then proceeded to share the show with his preteen sons, who both loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like any anime could work depending how the kid handle the subject matter. It's not good to shelter kids from stuff like blood and nudity. I saw anime on Sci-Fi's Saturday morning block when I was 5-7 years old like Lilly C.A.T, Casshan: Robot Hunter, Armitage III: Poly-Matrix, Dominion Tank Police and Vampire Hunter D. I also saw Gunsmith Cats and Bio Hunter on Starz back in 1999 when I was 8 years old too.

Stuff like Venus Wars, Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z is totally fine for a 5 or 6 year old if you are okay showing them PG-13 movies like Batman v Superman, the Hunger Games movies and Kong: Skull Island. Not to mention Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto and DBZ air on the same channel that air Scooby Doo and Dexter's Lab.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll post two references which discuss the topic of anime for kids.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25171
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children

That said, I don't think you should be introducing anime much before age three or four. My daughter started watching Pokemon when she was about seven or eight. We moved onto more mature stuff when she was about thirteen after watching Mononoke Hime together. That was my introduction to anime.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Good recent dubbed series would be Ronja the Robber's Daughter, though admittedly that might be down to my being blinded to its flaws by the fact its one of the once in a blue moon dubs done by mostly UK actors (& Gillian Anderson). Certainly seemed better than I expected, considering its poor performance in Japan.

Yes, this, even though it's only on Amazon. First time I saw this show I thought that with the right dub it'd be a great kids show, the kind that kids who saw it would talk about twenty years later, and the dub Amazon have is pretty good.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Sailor Moon (not the full series, if it hasn't been redubbed), and Sgt. Frog (never seen it but it seems cute).

Outside of that, I would still recommend My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
captokita wrote:
Basically, don't force it, you can't make a kid like something, you can show it to them, and they will either take to it or not. If they like it, cool, if they don't, no real loss, they're their own person, with their own likes/dislikes.

This is certainly true. A couple of my friends who are anime fans have a six year old boy, and he pretty much has no interest at all in "daddy's cartoons," even when it's stuff you'd think a boy would normally like. The only anime we've watched together that he actually took a bit of a shine to was Girls und Panzer because he liked the tanks; otherwise he's usually just unhappy that the grownups are using the TV when he'd rather be watching Paw Patrol or something like that.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anything scary about One Piece. Yeah it has some blood in the uncut episodes, but parents take their young kids to see PG-13 and R rated movies. So if they can handle the Hunger Games, One Piece would be fine for them.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I would actually recommend a few of the slice of life things out there depending on if having a dub is a necessity. I'm a little surprised that Kemono Friends wasn't recommended yet. It doesn't have a dub, and probably never will, but I honestly don't know if that's going to matter much if I'm showing my 2 year old kid anime. Also, I've always intended to make them bilingual from the get-go, so it could really double as a teaching tool! Laughing
I'm a little less particular when it comes to things being age appropriate, probably due to my own unusual upbringing, but I fully intend to show my kid Hunter x Hunter when he turns 5 or so. The show delves into some incredibly dark stuff later on, but it's a brilliant show and full of themes that I want my child to experience. Also not super averse to fanservice, but the lack of it in HxH is certainly a boon to those who might care.
Kemono Friends(no dub)
Pretty Cure/Glitter Force
Sailor Moon
Hunter x Hunter
Ghibli
Digimon
Fullmetal Alchemist(probably around 7+ age for my kids)
Hanasaku Iroha(no dub)
K-ON!
Yuki Yuna is a Hero(7+)
Sound Euphonium(10+)(no dub)
Kyousougiga(7+)(no dub)
Little Witch Academia(this should've been mentioned by more people!!)

A lot of other things. I really would just want to inundate them(not force obviously) with things that carry themes that I find important like working hard, and caring for others, and being open-minded.

Hmm, not sure about K-ON! and
Yuki Yuna is a Hero. :/

Maybe Kaleido Star, Samurai Pizza Cats, and perhaps even Teknoman (Yeah, I'm aware that its not a full faithful adaption)
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Hope you're not much of a prude to be offended by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-EpHP6KiE

Nah, that's pretty cute actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8