• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Was A "MovieCD"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
It has both the DVD and video CD logos on the cover but besides the words "yoga in bed" that's the only other thing that's not in Korean.

Both formats will play in VLC, so you should be covered if you ever want to take a look.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I still have a couple of those old MovieCDs around here, though unfortunately no anime. They are SNL: The Best of Gilda Radner and Monterey Pop (on 3 cds). I remember trying them in my old Windows 3.1 PC but could never get them to work in Win 95.

Great, now I need to keep an eye out for anime MovieCDs Very Happy
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I had a VideoNow player when I was a kid, but all I had were Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents episodes, and the movie A Boy Named Charlie Brown (which took up 3 discs). This was like 2004, and it was good for traveling, but it sucked batteries dry quickly, and it was obviously before tablets, smartphones, and digital downloads. I still have it somewhere.

I know they had Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows, but I think the only anime they had was Beyblade and maybe Bakugan.

I remember seeing an episode of Dragon Ball GT on Game Boy Video. It was the compilation episode that FUNimation did, summarizing the first 15 episodes. Might be a decent collector's item.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
VCD had a very short-lived life span in the UK and Europe too. Only in the UK we got anime on them I think (I still have an old pokemon dub VCD).
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
VideoNow was kind of successful for Hasbro. You've got to remember, this was the early 00s and even iPods, which were almost exclusively music players at the time, were considered expensive.

It even spawned an imitator. In 2004 (a year after Hasbro launched VideoNow), Mattel released JuiceBox, a Linux powered kids media player that used proprietary cartridges. While it was discontinued after that holiday season, 4Kids had licensed some of their shows for release on it, so there's some anime:

It had a whooping 240×160 screen. I owned one and let me tell you, it's a sight to behold.

Apparently Funimation released episodes of Dragon Ball GT, Sonic X, and Yu-Gi-Oh! on 3-inch DVD.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
There's been a few releases on 4K BLU-RAY.
The only one I've ever heard of, was Belladonna of Sadness.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Also, think this was back when DVD players still had drawers, that you could place a full or mini DVD into. Can't remember the last time I saw one of those.

Lots of DVD/BD players still have trays (I assume that's what you mean?) but I'm not sure whether or not they still have the smaller indention for mini discs. But anyway, at least some of the motorized slots do accept mini discs (the Wii, for example). I have a small collection of anime mini CDs from the 90s and I tried them on various CD players out of curiosity... nearly lost Mezase Pokemon Master inside my 5 disc stereo system.

Speaking of Mini CDs though, my strangest ones are the Digimon Adventure 02 character CDs, which I guess you would call mini CDs with a built in adapter? Basically, a full sized CD's worth of plastic but only the center had data on it, like this. I just find it hard to believe that it was cheaper to make them like this than just use a full sized CD, but what do I know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Garforian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
How about CED, Capacitance Electronic Disc

Essentally a vinyl record that held analogue video, twenty seconds of "research" on google says they had jack and the beanstalk and the wizard of oz, and that's all the anime on the format.

For more info here's techmoan with his run down of the format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
For simplicity sake, one could categorize the various mediums under the umbrella terms "video cassette" or "video disc".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
I still have a couple of the Software Sculptors screensaver sets around here somewhere. The Ranma 1/2 and Bubblegum Crisis ones. They weren't much when they were new.

There was a time back in the 1990s when computer screensavers were a big deal with a number of companies offering them for Windows.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I own the first episode of Paranoia Agent and the Gundam Endless Waltz movie on the fabulous PSP disc system.
It really looks terrible when you connect the PSP to a television.
And the discs themselves make a ton of noise during use.

When PSP video discs came out, I had to wonder who they were for. It seemed unlikely that someone with a PSP wouldn't have access to some type of DVD player. Plus, if I recall correctly, Geneon put two episodes on those discs, so you'd have to buy twice as many. That might explain why they ended up doing one or two of them for Samurai Champloo.

QuarkboySam wrote:
Was there ever any anime released in Japan (or elsewhere, for that matter) on Super VHS?

I hope that the plastic shell of the Super VHS was yellow instead of the standard black. (Glowing aura optional) Very Happy
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:

I didn't know about that one. The ones I was thinking of are Gundam Thunderbolt and Giant Robo and I'm not even totally sure about the Giant Robo release.
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:

I didn't know about that one. The ones I was thinking of are Gundam Thunderbolt and Giant Robo and I'm not even totally sure about the Giant Robo release.

Don't forget the bestselling 4K bluray of all time, your name.

(Actually I have no idea if it's the bestselling 4k bluray of all time but it wouldn't surprise me)
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
lol I also have the BGC Screen Savers discs somewhere.

Also Have VCDs of DYRL and Endless Waltz.
Still sitting on my shelf where I left them the last time I watched them.. lol
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
There was a time back in the 1990s when computer screensavers were a big deal with a number of companies offering them for Windows.

It is strange to consider that there was once a market for software designed to only operate in the (presumed) absence of any user. It would be akin to owning a T-shirt with a custom logo on its rear side, but never wearing it out of doors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4