• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are Official Names For Anime And Manga Developed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
nargun wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
Two egregious cases of this are Diabolik Lovers and Little Witch Academia, whose titles can be literally translated with no effort, but for some reason they decided to keep them untranslated, at least in the Spanish dubs.

The japanese title for little witch academia is リトル ウィッチ アカデミア, Ritoru Witchi Akademia, not 小さい魔女学園. The japanese title for Diabolik Lovers is ディアボリックラヴァーズ, Diaborikku Ravāzu, not... 魔人恋人 or whatever.

This may go some distance to explaining why the licensors made the choices they did.

You don't get it: Both names in the Spanish dubs are kept in English even in the Spanish dub, even if the names of both series can be easily translated to Spanish effortlessly.

Quick, stupid question. Where were they dubbed, Spain or Mexico?

As far I know, there's a European Spanish and a Chilean Spanish dub. I don't know much about the European one, but the Chilean one is a complete trainwreck, translation and acting-wise.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I generally ignore the American titles and use the Japanese ones. In cases where the English title is actually part of the Japanese series, like Hagane no Renkinjutsushi/Fullmetal Alchemist and Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan then the English title is fine, but if it's a clear name change like Detective Conan > Case Closed or Candidate for Goddess > Pilot Candidate, I generally ignore them.

I personally take issue with stuff like "Attack on Titan" too, because when the manga eventually revealed what the title actually meant, it suddenly became clear just how bad a translation that really is. It's not just gramatically awkward, it's just flat-out nonsense... unless you assume that it's meant to be like, spoiler["The Attack-On Titan". The official English translation of the manga calls the titan in question "The Attack Titan", which is about as good as they could do given what they had to work with. Still, if Isayama had been a bit more thorough and chosen a translation that's more fitting in the first place (I'm a fan of "The Invading Titan", personally), this whole thing could have been avoided.]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Sometimes naming can get weird, but every year it improves and is simplified. Though it's not easy for every language to translate to the same meaning. Though at times, it can lead to a good, hearty laugh.

jdnation wrote:
Well, on the other hand, sir, you have peaked my curiosity...

Psst, it's piqued, not peaked. Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
For reasons I mentioned in my previous post, I'm generally okay with them doing that. In the case of Oreimo in particular, it's definitely a better choice than translating the full title to "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute", which makes it sound worse than it actually is, or keeping the full title in Japanese, which is just daft.
I've seen some cases of compromising and having both the shorthand and the full name in the title, which is especially helpful when the actual title is rather meaningless/horribly generic.
Yumekui-Inu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd honestly just like to know what happened to Gakkou Gurashi. It's translated to School Live, but is the "Live" supposed to be as in to live/be alive or like Love Live with zombies?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Yumekui-Inu wrote:
I'd honestly just like to know what happened to Gakkou Gurashi. It's translated to School Live, but is the "Live" supposed to be as in to live/be alive or like Love Live with zombies?

What happened is someone on the Japanese end, probably the mangaka, did a particularly inept "this word means this, that word means that, just put them together like that" translation. Gakkou Gurashi would be more reasonably translated as "Living At School" (as opposed to living in a house, or living in an apartment).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Yumekui-Inu wrote:

What happened is someone on the Japanese end, probably the mangaka, did a particularly inept "this word means this, that word means that, just put them together like that" translation. Gakkou Gurashi would be more reasonably translated as "Living At School" (as opposed to living in a house, or living in an apartment).

Almost certain this play on words is intentional with this one. It's supposed to evoke "Love Live" and also "alive".
In this case I think it's kind of clever and appropriate.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Almost certain this play on words is intentional with this one. It's supposed to evoke "Love Live"

Is it actually? Maybe there's some nuanced other things the two shows have in common (besides the casts being high school girls, but that's 75% of anime) that I haven't noticed, but otherwise it just seems like something you're reading into it that's not really there.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
That's been the impression I got: somebody knew just enough English to hurt themselves.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Almost certain this play on words is intentional with this one. It's supposed to evoke "Love Live"

Is it actually? Maybe there's some nuanced other things the two shows have in common (besides the casts being high school girls, but that's 75% of anime) that I haven't noticed, but otherwise it just seems like something you're reading into it that's not really there.

I'd have to concur. The pun had to be explained to me to get it, and that would make it a bad pun from my perspective. (The title also does a poor job of explaining to me, at a glance, of what it's about. I mean, I can forgive a series for having an ineffective name like Peanuts, but the name School Live! makes it sound more generic than it actually is.)

Oh yes, that reminds me: Anybody remember Chrno Crusade? The Japanese rights owners refused to let anyone on the English side spell it as anything but "Chrno." It's a mild case of Japanese people thinking English spelling is a lot more malleable and poetic than it actually is.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I mean, I can forgive a series for having an ineffective name like Peanuts, but the name School Live! makes it sound more generic than it actually is.)

Personally, I think you can take away a few things from the comic being called Peanuts, but I know Schulz really despised that name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3