• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't More Publishers Take A Chance On Older Titles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
I really hope the earlier episodes of Gintama will still be dubbed. The only reason I'm not buying the blu-rays right now is because I don't want to start the series part-way through. I am currently reading the manga and am a massive fan of this series now, but I want to watch this anime dubbed.

Congratulations, you're working against your own interests.
It's practically a miracle that Gintama Series 3 received a dub at all. But even considering that, it's extremely unlikely the earlier 200-or-so episodes would ever get that same treatment due to the sheer amount of content. (Heck, just look at the cost estimated in this very article for Reborn!'s 200-episode count)

If there ever was any chance at all for it, though, it'd be if the Series 3 release sold really, really well. Well enough to the point of convincing the companies involved to devote their time and money to dubbing 200+ more episodes of Gintama.

Unfortunately, considering we have "massive fans" likes yourself (and quite possibly many others with a similar stance) making comments like this, blatantly saying that they aren't actively buying the Blu-rays to support Gintama, I really doubt that such a thing will ever come to pass...
Argentsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think one of the things that hurts a show like Reborn is that it doesn't hold a ton of ancillary profit streams. I'm talking about figures, an ongoing manga to create a feedback loop with, or other merchandise. Hate to say it, but we all know that part of what kept Fairy Tail going, part of what keeps One Piece going, is the bevy of attractive females in the cast for which a lot of otaku merch is centered on. Hug pillows, ecchi figures, the endless stream of doujin... that all contributes to the swell of support that can propel a series to stick around even at the fringes.

It's funny you mentioned this, but in Japan Hitman did sell merch and it did create a ton of doujins. However, a lot of it was due to the bevy of attractive male characters. Wink Yes Hitman had a big female following, to the point it still has a sizable dedicated section for its second hand goods on Otome road today. Nowadays, since it's an older, completed series so there's a lack of new merch etc. , but it was still quite beloved as dark13 had pointed out. But we are talking about Japan here. What's popular there is not always popular in the West.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Argentsky wrote:
DRosencraft wrote:
I think one of the things that hurts a show like Reborn is that it doesn't hold a ton of ancillary profit streams. I'm talking about figures, an ongoing manga to create a feedback loop with, or other merchandise. Hate to say it, but we all know that part of what kept Fairy Tail going, part of what keeps One Piece going, is the bevy of attractive females in the cast for which a lot of otaku merch is centered on. Hug pillows, ecchi figures, the endless stream of doujin... that all contributes to the swell of support that can propel a series to stick around even at the fringes.

It's funny you mentioned this, but in Japan Hitman did sell merch and it did create a ton of doujins. However, a lot of it was due to the bevy of attractive male characters. Wink Yes Hitman had a big female following, to the point it still has a sizable dedicated section for its second hand goods on Otome road today. Nowadays, since it's an older, completed series so there's a lack of new merch etc. , but it was still quite beloved as dark13 had pointed out. But we are talking about Japan here. What's popular there is not always popular in the West.
To add to this REBORN is still getting a lot of new Merch from Perfume, Nendroids ,T shirts etc

Heck the reason the whole stage play is thing is
because of the fan demand and if its a success in japan, who knows what other things could happen Cool heck the fact that people are talking about Reborn nowdays thanks to 10th anniversary last year is a positive sign, especially when crunchyroll and ANN were pretty much promoting in in their news section.

Edit by the way that's not adding the Bunko Volumes that have selling very well over in japan.

Last edited by dark13 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:

Well, you must've talked about the first half, that was digitally animated in SD. I don't really know how the second half looked on the Japanese Blu-rays, you know the episodes in ACTUAL HD.

I'm talking about the entire series. I own the BDs and the DVDs from Japan. So I know first hand how messed up they are. They messed it up bad. I posted examples on thefandompost here:
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/705498-discotek-media-licenses-reborn?p=705637#post705637

Also made a thread of the details in glitched disc.

The pics I linked there were from the last opening, which are in the 190 eps of the anime, the actual HD eps, so yes. they messed up the HD eps as well.

If you want more screencaps, feel free to ask. I dont mind posting them.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
also didn't FUnimation do a Kick starter for escaflowne ? I mean couldn't discotek try something like that ? Now that they know People in the west are Buying Reborn wouldn't be a good way to see if people would be interested in a dub ?

Edit As for VAs I always got the impression Cristina Vee was fan of the show since on her youtube channel she sang the English cover for Op 3 ( her voice was amazing by the way) I'm pretty sure you don't do that unless your a fan of that work, she would make a great Tsuna if you ask me.

Last edited by dark13 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I guess to be fair to Reborn!, none of the R1 companies bothered with it when it was new. It should have been dubbed and slapped on Toonami ten years ago.

Toonami was on it's way to getting axed ten years ago and Viz's biggest show on the block, Naruto, got canceled not too long afterwards.

Cartoon Network was in a bad state back then and while Adult Swim Action still had some anime, they weren't very reliable either, remember when shows like Code Geass & Moribito got moved to the 5 AM hour?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
also didn't FUnimation do a Kick starter for escaflowne ? I mean couldn't discotek try something like that ? Now that they know People in the west are Buying Reborn wouldn't be a good way to see if people would be interested in a dub ?

Edit As for VAs I always got the impression Cristina Vee was fan of the show since on her youtube channel she sang the English cover for Op 3 ( her voice was amazing by the way) I'm pretty sure you don't do that unless your a fan of that work, she would make a great Tsuna if you ask me.

I love Cristina Vee's work.

I actually ripped the BD Op 3 and replaced the song with her version if you'd like to see it here:
https://vimeo.com/258512066

But to be honest, what's done is done. I really doubt a dub will help increase sales of the series, even though I'd love to see one as well. Im just happy it's finally coming over.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
dark13 wrote:

I love Cristina Vee's work.

I actually ripped the BD Op 3 and replaced the song with her version if you'd like to see it here:
https://vimeo.com/258512066

But to be honest, what's done is done. I really doubt a dub will help increase sales of the series, even though I'd love to see one as well. Im just happy it's finally coming over.
I meant that more as Fact because the Blu rays in are selling well I mean out of the stuff Discotek announced REBORN seems to be the top seller there ( Amazon doesn't have the blu ray yet ) from where I'm standing the Blu ray dosen't seem to be bombing hence why I asked could a Kick starter be an option for a re-release in the future Smile No matter the reason "Top seller" in Rightstuf still mean's Top seller you can't really change the definition for that and and I agree she is amazing.

Last edited by dark13 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I meant that more as Fact because the Blu rays in are selling well I mean out of the stuff Discotek announced REBORN seems to be the top seller there ( Amazon doesn't have the blu ray yet ) from where I'm standing the Blu ray dosen't seem to be bombing hence why I asked could a Kick starter be an option for a re-release in the future Smile and I agree she is amazing.

There is a chance they could pull off what something Sentai Filmworks did before. If the sub release sells well, they can go back, dub it and re-release it and have an exchange program like Sentai did with Clannad. Only time will tell.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
dark13 wrote:
I meant that more as Fact because the Blu rays in are selling well I mean out of the stuff Discotek announced REBORN seems to be the top seller there ( Amazon doesn't have the blu ray yet ) from where I'm standing the Blu ray dosen't seem to be bombing hence why I asked could a Kick starter be an option for a re-release in the future Smile and I agree she is amazing.

There is a chance they could pull off what something Sentai Filmworks did before. If the sub release sells well, they can go back, dub it and re-release it and have an exchange program like Sentai did with Clannad. Only time will tell.
That is true there and there is Volume 2 to take into account,all in all tho I think Reborn being a Top seller over there is something be happy about I don't think they go around giving that label to everything unless it wasn't doing well.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
loveliver wrote:
Well, you must've talked about the first half, that was digitally animated in SD. I don't really know how the second half looked on the Japanese Blu-rays, you know the episodes in ACTUAL HD.

I'm talking about the entire series. I own the BDs and the DVDs from Japan. So I know first hand how messed up they are. They messed it up bad. I posted examples on thefandompost here:
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/705498-discotek-media-licenses-reborn?p=705637#post705637

Also made a thread of the details in glitched disc.

The pics I linked there were from the last opening, which are in the 190 eps of the anime, the actual HD eps, so yes. they messed up the HD eps as well.

I can definitely state that our discs do not have the brightness issue evidenced in your screencaps. I suspect that those later episodes were upscaled for broadcast and streaming, because all of the episodes were delivered to us in SD and I found no evidence that they were actually made in HD.

There are a couple of episodes right after it switches to widescreen (102-103ish) where there are some minor scaling issues on the final masters, but it's just for those episodes, which leads me to believe that someone in production just made a mistake for those eps. I don't think most people will notice. Those are the only video issues I noticed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
As with all businesses, companies have to look at where the money lies. Taking risks is part of business, but companies can't afford to take too many of them, especially these days.

its the same for adapting an anime as well. i mean there was a shonen jump series called PSYREN which was popular enough to warrant 15 volumes, but it didn't even get an anime version AT ALL which is nuts considering that it pretty much have the same elements as other shonen jump titles to probably get a fanbase!

also companies like disotek and nozumi/right stuff don't even take a chance on old titles unless their popular enough to warrant it, and unless its an uber classic ala utena, it RARELY HAPPENS!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
If Discotek or Maiden Japan could license these titles:

Da Capo (all seasons and OVAs)
Manabi Straight
Minami-ke (all seasons and OVAs)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (All seasons, OVAs, and movie)
They Are My Noble Masters

I'd be a happy person. Considering they're 'old', it'd make sense for both to license some listed above.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

FUNimation did do a Kickstarter for Escaflowne, but they not only didn't really need to do one in the first place, because Escaflowne would have sold extremely well in the first place, but they also botched a fair bit of the post-campaign follow-through, so maybe this isn't the best example to bring up. Also, Escaflowne was just 26 episodes, not even 1/10 the length of Reborn's 203 episodes. Even Right Stuf's Kickstarter for Aria, which wound up covering the entire anime, only totaled to 53 episodes, just a little over a quarter of the length of Reborn.

All I'm trying to say here is that, sure, a Kickstarter for a dub could have been done, in theory, but the costs to do so would have been astronomical, and I highly doubt people would have been up for doing multiple campaigns to eventually dub all 203 episodes. That ship had sailed years ago.

Quote:
I think Reborn being a Top seller over there is something be happy about I don't think they go around giving that label to everything unless it wasn't doing well.

Plenty of stuff get the "Top Seller" label over at Right Stuf, and I'd imagine that it's used for roughly the Top 100 or 200 items on the site at that week. It's still cool to see that ribbon on more niche stuff (I was happy to see it happen to the Eat-Man double-season SD-BD &, currently, Anime Midstream's B't X DVD boxset), but as Justin indicated, it really only means something in the long run if it can consistently be a "Top Seller". Right now, Reborn is pre-ordering well, which is cool, but it'll have to keep selling once it's released to really mean something.[/quote]
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This isn't to say that they don't have failures. (In fact, now that Funimation has to license and dub most shows before it's clear whether a show will be any good, they have a lot of failures.)

Do you think if Funi could, that if they didn't carve out their dub-everything niche and entered into partnership with CR as their BD/DVD publisher, that they would go Sentai's route and only selectively dub some titles? That was one major change when ADV re-emerged as Sentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4