• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Makoto is actively looking for a way to go back home. I get really annoyed when modern isekai don't even pretend to give a shit about their main characters' original lives

I'm kind of surprised that he might be, since he semi-voluntarily chose to be isekaied in the first place. Although, since the Goddess sort of broke her deal with his parents by banishing him to the hinterlands, I can see why he'd no longer feel obligated to hold up his end of things.

If you want to erase Tsuda as the voice of The Beholder in your mind, grit your teeth through the non-animated motion-comic version of The Way of the Househusband. Or just watch this PV. He was born to play Tatsu.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the reviewer that makoto shift from average highschool student to cold blooded killer came out of nowhere since every so often through the series we seen makoto mad and it has cause discomfort about it and even in the scene itself we see that he has to remind him self that he has to feel sad about death and even after the deed is done he feels conflicted by what he has done. So him acting his usual self seems to be a couping method.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The adventurers who died in the explosion were lucky considering what the blonde woman had to deal with when Makoto found her.

Also, surprise Miyuki Sawashiro for the finale! I knew Makoto wasn't done with that rotten Goddess.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
If anything the flashback with the cat depicts Makoto as being Psychopathic from childhood. That his happy go lucky attitude is a face he wears. To give the reviewer credit it does conflict with his normal personality. We do see moments of makoto being disturbed and something clearly bloody happened with his crush. But his inner voice and reactions to the world are incongruitous with that dark side.

He has too much opportunity to be his real self to say that he has been deceiving everyone. I guess the question is simply does the death of 1 nice orc and a fragment justifying his mind break / snapping. Im not sure, but since people kept talking about this show as it gets dark I saw it coming. So it wasnt a shock, just interesting that he could just shank the girl in the neck.

What is clear is that he doesnt appear to have learned his lesson. Of killing for necessity and protection of the demi humans. Instead its just emotion for him.
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe the ANN critic gave Moonlit Fantasy such a low score. This episode truly showed the main character's progression in the world he was forced in to. I have to ask, "what show has the ANN critic been watching"? Our main character has been overly merciful and kind to all he has encountered. Only after members of the mists have been needlessly slaughtered has our Young Master finally taken justifiable action.

This episode finally made the series worth it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with James on this one, this episode wasn't great.

It wasn't quite clear what was going on (it seemed like all 5 (3 adventures, orc and fragment) all went through a gate) and the tonal shift was a bit extreme. I do think the calm way he finished her off was well done though.

After that he seems truly conflicted when he gets back with the girls, but then a moment later he's back to normal and it's been basically hand waved away.

I wonder if this shift was better set up in the source...

He makes a big deal about leaving, but can't he enter the demi-plane from anywhere? Isn't it like a pocket dimension?

Quote:
When it comes to Tomoe's fragment, I wasn't even aware that she was a thing that even could die, and I'm not sure why Tomoe can't just poof out another one.

Same. I figured she was more like a small magic "clone" of Tomoe.

If they created a small fake town for adventurers to trade with, why would they also store things there they wouldn't want adventurers to get to? Shouldn't the place have just been a mostly mock town for show?

Also after what happened I can't believe they're going to continue with it. I'm not sure I see the value of letting potentially dangerous and antagonist individuals in just for trading. I can't see it as helping bring the two sides any closer to understanding.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:26 am Reply with quote
This series has not really focused on what has lead up to this episode and thus made it not work.

It's in the manga and web novels but skipped in the anime. The extremely shallow goddess (nicknamed 'Bug') has blessed all the humans in this world leading to their arrogance getting out of hand. They are horribly racist towards everything non-human. Over the course of the story leading up to this point Makoto has been befriending the demi-humans while being alienated, hurt and used by the humans. Mainly and simply because of his looks. He wants to have a good relationship with the humans but he slowly starts to see them for what they really are, but still pretending not to see it.

This one event really starts to makes him pretty racist towards the humans from here on in. To the point where he stops caring if they die at all. A he becomes more god like he's losing his own humanity. The way he deals with any opposing humans and the two summoned heros starts becoming darker and darker. This anime has not even touched on anything with the heros and how horrible one of them is because of his arrogance.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote
Thats not a great attribute for a main character, though other stories have managed to pull it off through style and clear motivation (Death Note, Overlord). Losing touch with humanity while turning those around him more human also feels like a conflict.

As the review said that kind of disregard for others can become juvenile cruelty for the sake of being edgy, if the characters involved walk down the path of spite and vengeance. But that in and of itself can be okay if the story flows into it.

It would be nice to have alternative views out there other then racism between the demi humans and hyumans. By the way is the misspelling of human when talking about them an indication of a racial slur?

A thought occurs to me, if the heroes and humans are all like that. That might explain why the series excluded the heroes point of views from the books that has been mentioned. Because showing heroes being mean or violent to demi humans wouldnt make for enjoyable content.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
It would be nice to have alternative views out there other then racism between the demi humans and hyumans. By the way is the misspelling of human when talking about them an indication of a racial slur?

This is something partially lost in translation and partially not properly explained in the anime. To put it simply, humans as in homo sapiens don't actually exist in the world Makoto is stuck in. What exists instead is Hyumans (specifically pronounced in Japanese as the English word for "human" but with a heavy emphasis on "u"), a similar species that developed under the Goddess's blessing and inherited her good looks and unfortunately her terrible personal values. There is an instance in very early chapters where Makoto describes himself as "ningen" (the regular Japanese word for humans) and is informed that those are the ancient species Hyumans developed from that didn't have the Goddess's blessing and therefore slowly but surely died out.

So no, it's not a slur. Hyumans from the Goddess's world are fundamentally different from Humans on Earth and are referred to with different words.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
People who doesn't like this from the start may miss the point of what make Makoto different from other MC. He's like that from the start. Those who understand won't ever call the 'in the next scene, it's like nothing happens' as a bad writting but as a 'deep inside he doesn't really care'. Good job. Way to make the supposedly one of the most 'what make the series good' as a one of the most 'what make the series bad'.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Thats not a great attribute for a main character, though other stories have managed to pull it off through style and clear motivation (Death Note, Overlord). Losing touch with humanity while turning those around him more human also feels like a conflict.

As the review said that kind of disregard for others can become juvenile cruelty for the sake of being edgy, if the characters involved walk down the path of spite and vengeance. But that in and of itself can be okay if the story flows into it.

A thought occurs to me, if the heroes and humans are all like that. That might explain why the series excluded the heroes point of views from the books that has been mentioned. Because showing heroes being mean or violent to demi humans wouldnt make for enjoyable content.
The heros are other isekai tropes mainly loser to harem protag and justice protag and as far as i remember the heros never mistreat demihumans but dont stop the mistreatment they see.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
If anything the flashback with the cat depicts Makoto as being Psychopathic from childhood. That his happy go lucky attitude is a face he wears. To give the reviewer credit it does conflict with his normal personality. We do see moments of makoto being disturbed and something clearly bloody happened with his crush. But his inner voice and reactions to the world are incongruitous with that dark side.

Now that you mention it I don't think they properly showed what he did to make Hasegawa cry, if it went beyond a normal rejection.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
People who doesn't like this from the start may miss the point of what make Makoto different from other MC. He's like that from the start. Those who understand won't ever call the 'in the next scene, it's like nothing happens' as a bad writting but as a 'deep inside he doesn't really care'. Good job. Way to make the supposedly one of the most 'what make the series good' as a one of the most 'what make the series bad'.
"Deep inside he doesn't really care" isn't good writing. As James said, it's just typical teenage grimdark nonsense. It only works as good writing if it creates a conflict with some reason he should care, aside from a generic "because society." Indeed, the fact that shows like this are fairly common now means "because society" doesn't even work as a conflict, as the community seems to want this kind of thing, now.

He doesn't have to care, but that also doesn't mean him not caring is an interesting character trait. When Tomoe and Mio went nuts in an earlier town, probably a bunch of people died. But it wasn't milked for pathos. The main character not caring about other people doesn't have to turn into a big dramatic arc where the show has to keep coming up with excuses for why the main character becoming a murdering psychopath is justified. And if that is the path they want to go, it has to represent some kind of conflict, either internal (he's torn up by the morality of it) or external (he faces powerful forces that leave him no choice but to go this route). This show has neither. It's what made Slime and Overlord so pathetic, too. Redo of Healer at least functioned as an (unintentional) parody of the idea, but it's the endpoint of this kind of writing.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
If anything the flashback with the cat depicts Makoto as being Psychopathic from childhood.

I rewatched that scene, and I really need to understand why that scene makes him Psychopathic. It seemed like he found a dead cat and his mom had to explain death to him. Now if he was the one to kill the cat, I would completely agree with you, but in no way does that scene say that is what happened.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
From what I understand reading over discussions its meant to demonstrate the Makoto had to be taught that losing life is sad unlike his sisters. That he failed to comprehend its sadness without explanation.

Im prepared to be wrong of course, we are all exploring this show as it comes along.

As an aside I did a little skimming of the manga and found that there was a whole 2 stories about the shop with ogre training and the academy that we seem to be skipping. Including a whole thing about him going about not wearing a mask.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4