• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FUUTO PI

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
Terui! They didn't even need to show him transform, just watching him bust some skulls untransformed was enough. Pretty surreal hearing Tada Banri, Saitama, and Miyuki Shirogane voicing Kamen Rider Accel.

(I wish they'd translated his catchphrase as "Don't ask me questions!").

Look at the way Tokime seems so entranced whenever Shotaro talks like a detective! She could listen to him do that all day.

Fuuto PI continues to have the most boobs of any Kamen Rider series when we have Monako taking her shirt off or Tokime's top getting ripped.

Akiko is more than happy to teach Philip about BL.

I had a feeling someone on the makeup team would turn out to be involved somehow since Maji-P was too obviously suspicious.

Tokime finally comes through and really helps out, trying to live up to all the faith Shotaro has placed in her.

FangJoker! The mid-season upgrade makes it's anime debut! I can't wait to see it fight.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
....Wait there has been a canonically gay lead in Kamen Rider? Who?

I mean that sounds awesome, I just didn't know it had happened!
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
I totally called FangJoker! And I was happy to see Fang itself, too, since the first episode cheated us out of seeing Xtreme (though we did hear it).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I will say that it seems a bit inconsistent that Tokime came off as such a wily, effectively evasive actor when she was presumed as an antagonist, while her being officially assigned to the Narumi Detectives team has suddenly turned her into a scrappy scrambling sidekick.

I'm not sure I'd describe her as scrappy, but there is a huge disconnect between Tokime the witch and Tokime the assistant tec. To me they feel like two entirely different characters, and unless I've forgotten a major scene or plot point (entirely possible!), I haven't seen any satisfactory explanation for such a radical transformation. Formerly she seemed cool, self-confident, and sophisticated, while now she's like a high school kid with a crush, all but nervously shuffling her feet and poking her fingertips while she shyly blushes (I said "all but" - she hasn't actually done that, I don't think, but that immature aura is all over her). I liked the cool Tokime. Not so crazy for the flailing one.

Lol at Shotaro the blood fountain.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
there is a huge disconnect between Tokime the witch and Tokime the assistant tec. To me they feel like two entirely different characters, and unless I've forgotten a major scene or plot point (entirely possible!), I haven't seen any satisfactory explanation for such a radical transformation.

We're only 5 episodes in, so there's still time to get a full explanation, but I think for now, I'd say that Tokime "The Witch" was part of her original con and that her true colors are showing more now that she's received genuine affection and care from Sho & co.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hey Chris; Why dont we get some weekly Geats reviews on here as well Wink
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
FangJoker's fight delivered! With all the slicing, dicing, and Fang Strizer! Bonus points when they caught Meganeura's attack mid-transformation.

Accel cameo. Just whetting our appetite before we get full Accel.

Well, sucks for Monako that her head makeup artist and emotional support is heading to jail for helping try to kill her, but at least now she knows that Maji-P really does care about and believe in her...and now they're going to get a fresh start from scratch together. Also detecting some romance vibes...?

Apparently Tokime's new outfit is anime original? And because they've been censoring her in China? I mean, I was fine with the translucent dress but her new one's more classy yet still attractive. Although that would be funny reasoning when they still go to the trouble of showing her off in her underwear as she gets dressed. And it's clothes her boyfriend bought for her!

It's nice to see Tokime finally finding her place with the agency and even getting her own Stag Phone. And she even gets along with Philip now.

Philip's sheer joy at discovering homosexuality is everything.

Aurora Dopant doesn't mess around. Also, giant skeletal brachiosaurus!
Joe Mello wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
there is a huge disconnect between Tokime the witch and Tokime the assistant tec. To me they feel like two entirely different characters, and unless I've forgotten a major scene or plot point (entirely possible!), I haven't seen any satisfactory explanation for such a radical transformation.

We're only 5 episodes in, so there's still time to get a full explanation, but I think for now, I'd say that Tokime "The Witch" was part of her original con and that her true colors are showing more now that she's received genuine affection and care from Sho & co.

Yeah, I think falling for Shotaro and his believing in her and the new chance she's gotten despite her crimes has caused her to be more genuine and open to others.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
Last week: Phillip learns what boys love is
This week: Eyes wide shut party.
Nextweek : oh myyyy
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
This golden-age mystery setup is easily the most excited Futo PI has gotten me thus far. I hope it sticks the landing when it comes time to unmask the killer.

The outline of the setup is more Christie than anything, but part of me keeps expecting a chart of subjects out of Kindaichi to pop up on screen.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It might simply be that I've at last accepted and settled into the pacing FUUTO PI is enforcing for its stories, but this still felt like the strongest introduction for an arc yet.

I don't think the qualifier is necessary. The 2nd case definitely felt like episode 20something of W, so transitioning to Bugmen Benoit Blanc is definitely attention-grabbing. Also, with the Aurora Dopant holder on site, there may be enough story to fill all 3 episodes.

As an aside, I do think the one scene set in the agency had a couple of good easter eggy type things, like Ryu being concerned about the Weather, and the reformed Dopant user and Crime Family Sub-Boss curling up in Tokime's lap.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Awww, they went and spoiled the murderer right in the ending credits! Come on, show! Don't do this! You have a fun and catchy ending that a lot of people enjoy rewatching, how can you just put a spoiler there...

Anyway, I caught up with this show, and I continue to love it so far. It's just silly buddy cop/hero comedy, with fun and likeable characters, that doesn't take itself seriously - just my kind of show!
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:47 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
....Wait there has been a canonically gay lead in Kamen Rider? Who?

I mean that sounds awesome, I just didn't know it had happened!

I don't think there has been, TBH. There have barely been any non-heterosexual Riders at all in the franchise, let alone leads. People will certainly interpret male Riders with close relationships that way, but as for anything resembling official confirmation:

-Decade: Kaito/Diend's actor Kimito Totani has said that he believes the character is in love with Tsukasa/Decade and portrayed him that way.
-Gaim: Oren/Bravo started off with the usual "lawl lookit the funny gay dude" comedy shtick but developed into a more rounded and dynamic character; on the other hand, his actor Metal Yoshida is heterosexual (his wife put in a cameo in a late episode).
-Zi-O: The post-series special "The Seven Zi-Os" portrayed Huere as being attracted to Sougo/Zi-O, but it was handled really poorly. On the oither hand, that entire special was handled pretty poorly.
-Zero-One: Naki's actor Satsuki Nakayama was asexual and non-binary at the time of filming, so out of respect the production staff said that Naki is NB as well (since the character is an android, "asexual" was just kind of there by default). Nakayama came out as a transman after the show had ended, but I don't know it that affects the character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
They certainly went far afield for those mushrooms, which only grow in northern Europe and possibly North America. Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote
I thought they came up with a pretty clever twist with the Dopant and the mystery in this episode.

Most people would assume one of the bridal candidates being the Dopant/Culprit would be too obvious, but instead it turns out that all of them are the Dopant but they were actually the victims, not the murderer, since the Memory was possessing them/killing them through alcohol poisoning.

We finally get our Accel Henshin! And it's glorious! As are hearing his catchphrase and seeing Trial!

We have notable Rider Fangirl and Lovekov voice Miku Ito as the Scream Dopant (and now that it's not a physical suit, female monsters can have jiggle physics), and Deka Pink as Kanna.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
This series has been my surprise of the season. The designs and animation are quite consistent too but I'm kinda surprised how a series famous from being a tokusatsu have their characters more prominent in their human forms and not suits. Guess the marketing is not that big.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4