• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Sells Sailor Moon Bootleg as "Official Boxset"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
... Well, Amazon would stop pretty quickly if anyone cried lawsuit.

*twiddles thumbs and looks innocent*
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
So I take it that Amazon DOES sell bootleg material in the marketplace, then?

Amazon DOES NOT sell bootlegs in the Marketplace because Amazon doesn't sell ANYTHING in the Marketplace. Amazon's Marketplace works much like eBay or Half.com in that anyone can sign up for an account and sell things there. You'll probably never see pirated versions of U.S. music and movies there because the RIAA and MPAA have lots of power and money to support them. The anime industry in the U.S. isn't big enough to launch massive lawsuits and the Japanese don't seem to be very aware of the problems on eBay and Amazon.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I have to admit that I do own a bootleg copy of the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars complete series...looks a lot like what was shown too. I got it over a year ago and not at Amazon. I truly look forward to the day that I'm able to replace it with a legitimate release. I'm one of those people who truly, truly want one.

i too own a bootleg copy of this. If i'm stuck to bootlegs i won't pay less than $2 for a season. To see this for that price well...wow. I've never bought anything from Amazon.com...although I have to wonder why this particualr bootleg drew such intrest. I've heard in other fourms of many other bootlegs so...its puzzling.

Even though its a bootleg I stil can see why its there. They don't have time to check everything. Those emails you all sent? Probably at the end of 5000 or more other complaints/ issues like this. They'll get to it eventually.

If not... with all those reivews on the page anyone who tries to buy it has fair warning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Sailor Moon isn't the only anime bootleg I've found on Amazon. I'm sure there are others, if some more digging was done.

Not much is needed—the same set is being sold separately as "[4-DVD Box Set] Unofficial Sailor Moon Stars, Season 5".

one3rd wrote:
You'll probably never see pirated versions of U.S. music and movies there because the RIAA and MPAA have lots of power and money to support them. The anime industry in the U.S. isn't big enough to launch massive lawsuits and the Japanese don't seem to be very aware of the problems on eBay and Amazon.

Hmmm...

Motion Picture Association of America Contact page

New York (Anti-Piracy Office)
One Executive Blvd. Suite 455
Yonkers, NY 10701
(914) 378-0800 (main)
(914) 378-0048 (fax)

From switchboard.com:

Toei Animation Inc.
11150 W. Olympic Blvd # 1150
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310) 996-2240

I've already E-mailed both Amazon and Toei about this, since it came up in the Anime on DVD Retail Forum. However, onepolite—call, fax, or letter from each person here to the MPAA might draw further attention to the problem. Any contacts to Toei should also be polite and limited to one per person. I additionally encourage the readers to rate the Amazon reviews which highlight this set as a bootleg as "helpful" (click the "Yes" buttons at the bottom of each review).

Edit: Expanded post so as not to double post.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Thu May 17, 2007 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone thought of e-mailing Toei (and other studios) about Amazon.com selling bootlegs of their shows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What? You're saying there's a difference between a Toei dvd and a bootleg? Rolling Eyes
Considering Toei's Sailor Stars DVDs are remastered R2s and not just another one of their cheapo R1 discs, I'd say yes. I find it appalling that Amazon is not only selling this bootleg but is also selling it as an official set. What's more annoying is that some of the reviewers for it complained about the lack of a dub. Rolling Eyes But this isn't the first time I've seen Amazon sell bootlegs themselves. I saw a bootleg Rainbow Brite DVD boxset that they were selling from their site once but I don't know if it's still there or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't surprise me that Amazon is selling bootlegs. My local Suncoast took trade in for a few Hong Kong bootlegs as well...One for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and one for Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure. I thought about informing them of it but, I thought better of it. My only concern with that is how the hell they got it through the system anyway? I mean, they have to scan the barcode on the back and at every place I've traded DVD's in, they've said if it doesn't show up in the system, they can't accept it. The store right across from Suncoast in that same mall sells NOTHING BUT Hong Kong bootlegs...they seem to get away with it fine as well.

The Sailor Moon issue with Toei pisses me off royally, as well as the Saint Seiya issue. Honestly, they are a bunch of greedy bastards...the masters ADV got for the uncut releases for Sailor Moon were trash. Sound quality was beyond garbage. I'm not sure why they wouldn't give ADV semi-decent masters or why they wouldn't allow them to remaster the sound and picture...

The Saint Seiya issue pisses me off just as much. How the hell can they bank on an edited POS to carry the uncut release? Knights of the Zodiac was a bad edit on the level of Battle of the Planets or the first Sailor Moon release out here. For Toei to cancel ADV's rights for the series because KotZ failed is stupid. It was bound to fail when anime that hacked up doesn't fly on TV nowadays. The problem also seemed to be that they wanted another hit like DBZ on their hands, and that wasn't gonna happen with Saint Seiya. It's just too different...marketing it to modern kids on TV was a bad idea seeing as how the show is pretty well dated by most's standards. I'm sorry I got off topic...the mention of Toei gets me pretty pissed off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
The Sailor Moon issue with Toei pisses me off royally, as well as the Saint Seiya issue. Honestly, they are a bunch of greedy bastards...the masters ADV got for the uncut releases for Sailor Moon were trash. Sound quality was beyond garbage. I'm not sure why they wouldn't give ADV semi-decent masters or why they wouldn't allow them to remaster the sound and picture...

The Saint Seiya issue pisses me off just as much. How the hell can they bank on an edited POS to carry the uncut release? Knights of the Zodiac was a bad edit on the level of Battle of the Planets or the first Sailor Moon release out here. For Toei to cancel ADV's rights for the series because KotZ failed is stupid. It was bound to fail when anime that hacked up doesn't fly on TV nowadays. The problem also seemed to be that they wanted another hit like DBZ on their hands, and that wasn't gonna happen with Saint Seiya. It's just too different...marketing it to modern kids on TV was a bad idea seeing as how the show is pretty well dated by most's standards. I'm sorry I got off topic...the mention of Toei gets me pretty pissed off.

ADV did not license either Sailor Moon or Saint Seiya from Toei—they sublicensed them from DiC.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

ADV did not license either Sailor Moon or Saint Seiya from Toei—they sublicensed them from DiC.

They still had to get master materials from Toei I assume. I don't think DiC told ADV that they couldn't release any more Sailor Moon or Saint Seiya. Toei was the ones that had to pull the plug on it, as I don't think DiC would have that kind of power. DiC only owned the rights to the edited versions of both shows as far as I knew. I'm sure some exchange had to take place between ADV and DiC for said shows but, ultimately I'm sure ADV still had to talk to Toei about releasing uncut versions on DVD. I could be totally off though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
They still had to get master materials from Toei I assume. I don't think DiC told ADV that they couldn't release any more Sailor Moon or Saint Seiya. Toei was the ones that had to pull the plug on it, as I don't think DiC would have that kind of power. DiC only owned the rights to the edited versions of both shows as far as I knew. I'm sure some exchange had to take place between ADV and DiC for said shows but, ultimately I'm sure ADV still had to talk to Toei about releasing uncut versions on DVD. I could be totally off though.

You're only off partly. ADV most likely got all of it's material from DiC, who were the primary license holder for seasons 1 and 2 in R1. Toei wouldn't give them new materials to work with for whatever reasons (remember also that no DVD release of SM existed in Japan at the time, but it was being remastered for that release). DiC had unedited video, and may or may not have had the Japanese audio depending on who you ask. That's what they made the edited version from, barring the one episode both companies were missing from season 2. Toei didn't so much "pull the plug" as they simply didn't renew the licenses with anybody after the initial 1 year extension given to DiC. Top rumor is that it was Tacheuchi, since the manga license also wasn't renewed even though there was a want for it, and rights to the franchise reverted to her around that time. ADV was never barred from remastering anything. They simply didn't have time, and put the sets out as quickly as they could after being given the green light. Unfortunately, this lack of attention shows in production and subtitle glitches in both sets.

I have no idea what's going on with Saint Seiya. Perhaps it just didn't make as much money as Toei wanted for them to bother with it any longer in R1.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
thecactusman17 wrote:
Having said that, it looks like more than half the people who bought something at that site after loking at the collection actually did pick it up, which should indicate the viability of putting a legitimate product on the market to geneon (or whoever else owns distro rights to the series these days).

Thing is, Toei own's the distro rights, not Geneon or ADV. And while many companies have regularly asked Toei for the rights, Toei isn't letting anyone release any more Sailor Moon in the USA.

-t

Apologies, I first thought it was Toei and then saw that all the others were distro'd by Geneon, and so believed that they would be the likely vector for Americn release.
raithnor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
*sigh* That's depressing. I stopped trying to get DVDs on Ebay after my last two attemps to buy DVD resulted in bootlegs. The first I sent back, the second (from a totally different dealer) I just gave up on. Oddly enough they weren't HK/Chinese bootlegs but rather copies of the R1 release. Someone basically burned a copy to a DVD-R and silkscreened the DVD art. The cover packaging was a very good copy of the R1 release, printed on High-quality paper.

I know fansubbing is technically wrong and I try to limit myself to stuff that hasn't had a US domestic release. (Sailor Stars being a good example) Also, I generally make an honest effort to buy what I like, legally. (Just not necessarily full retail price) However I cast a pox on those who charge full retail price (or close to it) for something they essentially copied on their DVD burner.

I guess the moral of the story is I'd rather be branded a thief than a chump, if I had a choice.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
I have no idea what's going on with Saint Seiya. Perhaps it just didn't make as much money as Toei wanted for them to bother with it any longer in R1.

ADV released all of the Saint Seiya which DiC had licensed. I asked about it at Anime Boston's at the State of the Industry panel, and (for what it's worth, and if I recall correctly) David L. Williams stated that ADV would like to license Saint Seiya, especially to get to the newer releases, but that there is a "legal web" to deal with regarding licensing issues.

As for Sailor Moon, DLW flatly stated at AB's ADV panel that Toei refuses to license it, all of which (live action, Stars, et cetera) he would love to have "the instant" Toei will let ADV. The reason(s) for Toei's refusal are, as previously implied, unknown; to the best of my knowledge we have only rumors. ANN has a video recording of the ADV panel here.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
[As for Sailor Moon, DLW flatly stated at AB's ADV panel that Toei refuses to license it, all of which (live action, Stars, et cetera) he would love to have "the instant" Toei will let ADV. The reason(s) for Toei's refusal are, as previously implied, unknown; to the best of my knowledge we have only rumors. ANN has a video recording of the ADV panel here.

Geneon also said they still had some interest in it, and to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather they were the ones to get it. I just have more confidence in Geneon because I'm a biased fangirl. Very Happy Either way, though, I'd speculate the problem isn't completely with Toei since the manga license also has a lockdown on it. TokyoPop didn't willingly give that up and still wants it back. Though I'd prefer it went to Del Ray if it ever does become available again. We'd be much more likely to get that incredible new cover art if it did, since TP likes to have it's interns photoshop all their covers. And those ugly red logos that just keep getting bigger and crowding out the spine... yucky. They would so clash with the Mercury cover (and all the others except Mars).
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
I, too, have contacted TOEI in regards to this. I also contacted the BBC news website.... I don't think they'll really care but if there is slim chance the BBC would report on this, from a "famous retail site sells illegal DVDs" angle (which is the way I worded my e-mail) then I think Amazon might get a move on!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6