• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Character designs that ruin everything.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
I hate it when an anime has generic characters who all look the same, so they're all appealing as humanly possible. In titles like When They Cry it seems like it would throw off the spooky atmospere it's trying to create. (Haven't seen this yet)

I've been watching Gilgamesh, and its character designs are sometimes great looking and other times annoying. They tend to overdo the 'dead-eyed stare' and the lips freak me out.

With the When they Cry thing, when I first saw this I thought the same thing, however I believe that the character design did wonders for this show, because for a lot of it, it was supposed seem to be a happy, almost slice of life type show with people making friends and what-not, then it hits with the crazy, mind F*CK, mutilating people in horrible ways and still makes it look creepy with the EYES and the laughs. This show was great. Can't wait til season two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Just all the time, every scene made me wonder, "Why is her hair like that? What reason would she have to do it that way?" Sure, anime hair is one of the most unrealistic things around, but Piano is one of the purest this-could-actually-happen slice-of-life series around, which is why the bizarre hairdo was so distracting.

Her hair bugged me as well (although I didn't particularly enjoy the series in the first place though.) Every time I looked at her, I saw Skuld from Ah! My Goddess. On the other hand, one of the key reasons I got through Piano quickly was that I loved Yuki's character design. I have no idea why, there was just something about that fresh, energertic look of hers that drew me in.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
No love for One Piece.

When I didn't watch it as much I would also think think how ridiculous some of the expressions on the characters are. When I did watch it more I grew to like it. I guess it can be goofy sometimes but I can appreciate what it does with it. One Piece is something that is able to have me use my imagination. I think its art does have unique things about it.

I like how Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry) can be light hearted one moment and then another moment it becomes all creepy. Like another poster I was also thrown off at first when it looked like it was just some slice of life anime. To add to that, I thought it was a random one. I like the character designs for the series and the design for the second season (Kai) is even better.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Akagi
I do not need a bishounen fest to enjoy anime and am more than content with realistic character designs even if they are not at all attractive but Akagi is simply horrible. Every single character is ugly in a comical way, with beak-like noses and horribly squinty eyes. It seems as if they were aiming at parody which is not the case. Painful to look at through and through.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Hisashi Hirai is actually my favorite character designer ^_^'. I'm a big fan of the character designs in SEED, Fafner, and now Heroic Age. I know I'm usually alone on this one, but I find them really attractive... which is probaby why I don't mind that everyone looks the same...

Hirai did an awesome job with Ryvuis and Scryed, he seriously went through the motions with SEED/Fafner/Destiny though....
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven

Something about the way every character in that show is drawn just seems off. That's not to say I don't like any of the character designs, it's just that the way their drawn seems really inconsistent, or something. I really can't put my finger on it.

Oh, and that hippie looking guy is the worst character design ever.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty open when it comes to character designs. Rarely do they ruin everything for me. I didn't really like the designs for Vandread, but it didn't ruin the whole show for me. I have an increasing distaste for the big-eyed, cutesty character designs.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Usually I don't get too bothered by weird character designs (after all, I first learned to draw from Shaman King), but one character whose look really annoyed me was Yuuko from xxxHoLiC. It was especially irritating because she's such a cool character, and everyone else in the anime was reasonably proportioned. It just seemed like she was too tall, her neck was too long, her arms were too skinny in proportion to her shoulders, and the less said about her gargantuan breasts, the better. She looked fine in the manga, but I don't know what the anime character designer did to her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Character designs rarely really ruin a series for me, I can respect most artistic choices or styles. Excessive fanservice does sometimes annoy me a bit as it seems so unnecessary, distracting and effects the immersion negatively if it feels out of place.

The only other one I can think of off hand is Gankutsuou. It wasn't just the odd fill they used in their animation but the designs themselves that just turned me off from the series. There were of course other factors as I wouldn't let character design decide whether I like a series or not but it certainly didn't help in this situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.::Lain::.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Character designs rarely really ruin a series for me, I can respect most artistic choices or styles. Excessive fanservice does sometimes annoy me a bit as it seems so unnecessary, distracting and effects the immersion negatively if it feels out of place.

The only other one I can think of off hand is Gankutsuou. It wasn't just the odd fill they used in their animation but the designs themselves that just turned me off from the series. There were of course other factors as I wouldn't let character design decide whether I like a series or not but it certainly didn't help in this situation.

Same here... It's either the weird fill (which doesn't move with the characters) or the character design itself but I'm getting nausea everytime I watch this.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'll agree with the poster who said everything after 1999. Most designs are identical nowadays, with the only difference being what that person is wearing. It makes a creepy series less creepy, or a dramatic series less dramatic if they all look happy bright eyed and cutesy.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
DNA2, everything designwise is horrible.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
The only two instances when character designs have turned me of from a series where when they cry and saber marionett j to x. It's not the cuteness that i had trouble with in WTC but i just found the designs to be bland and ugly. When it comes to SMJ-X i just didn't like how they skewered the designs from the 1st season+OVA. Even if they were cartoony at times you could at least always tell that you were watching anime and not feel like you were watching a bad american copy.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I found Mizuki Tachibana in Gravion to be distracting. I understand the concept of busty women, but hers were so big that I found it distracting in a bad way, like I wanted her off the screen so I could continue enjoying the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a show I'm not watching partially due to character design, but also due to the 4kids dub. The combination of the 2 absolutely made me hate the show. (I am aware of the new dub, maybe I'll be able to watch it someday)

Zatch Bell is another where I just don't like the character design generally.

I also don't really like Eureka 7, though certain features of it's design are found elsewhere and I don't mind it. Strangely enough, I didn't like the dub of the show either even though people I normally like are in it. I think that is probably due in large part to character designs just being unattractive to me in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5