• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Poll [2004-06-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
I would never of been able to see something like Rose of Versailles here without fansubs, and do you really think Kodocha would of been licensed here without it being a popular fansub title for what, the last 10 years? Anyway, yeah, on new anime titles, I agree, fansubs are pretty much useless now. But there's a lot of great old anime titles that don't have a chance of being licensed.
haze-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I also feel that fansubbing is becoming less and less of a necessity these days. Not too long ago, fansubs were used to introduce fans to an anime that was unlicensed to generate demand for a legit release by legitimate distributors. Unfortunately that has fallen flat on its face because people have just been taking advantage of a service performed for free rather than buying that legitimate release.

Fansubbing still has some purpose though. There are some series that just will never arrive in America either because they are obscure and have minimal followings (Bottle Fairy) or they are old (Akage no Anne, Future Boy Conan).

What I do dislike is people trying to justify their thievery and leeching. I wish Nagashi and other free-loaders can just admit that they're cheapskates and don't want to support the industry. Stop hiding behind facades like I'm doing it because I hate big business/capitalism or the DVDs are too expensive and BS like that. It doesn't cut it.

Rage-demon, it has been rumored that Jungle Guu may be picked up by AN, but that has not been confirmed.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
haze-chan wrote:
Rage-demon, it has been rumored that Jungle Guu may be picked up by AN, but that has not been confirmed.

I've also heard those rumors. They started when AN grabbed jungleguu.com. Sadly, however, most signs point to them not having it. This doesn't mean that i'm not still keeping my fingers crossed. Wink
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="littlegreenwolf"]I would never of been able to see something like Rose of Versailles here without fansubs, and do you really think Kodocha would of been licensed here without it being a popular fansub title for what, the last 10 years? quote]

I've been waiting for Kodocha to come out for many years. I've been watching the fansubs for quite some time now and I'll say that because of the fansubs I'll probably buy them. We already bought the entire manga series because of the fansubs.

For me fansubs are useful for access to old or obscure anime series that will never come out in the US. One that immediately comes to mind is Legends of the Galactic Heroes. This has such a small following (and so large) that the chances of it coming out is minimal. However, at least I've seen the tip of the iceberg because of fansubs.
Sanitarium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been waiting for Kodocha to come out for many years. I've been watching the fansubs for quite some time now and I'll say that because of the fansubs I'll probably buy them. We already bought the entire manga series because of the fansubs.

For me fansubs are useful for access to old or obscure anime series that will never come out in the US. One that immediately comes to mind is Legends of the Galactic Heroes. This has such a small following (and so large) that the chances of it coming out is minimal. However, at least I've seen the tip of the iceberg because of fansubs.

Same here, fansubs are usefull, when you want to watch more rare series, that never got released in your homecountry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I find it ~very~ interesting how any topic that even remotely mentions Fansubs devolves into a fansub discussion.

This topic should be about live action anime/manga adaptations and whether or not they should be brought over to North America.

Personally the fansub discussion is pretty much dead. Fansubbing isn't going to stop, fansubbers are going to continue following a variety of different ethical codes, and people on both sides of the discussion are not going to be convinced to change their minds. Meanwhile those of us in the middle are going to be seen as "in the other camp" by both sides.

So why bother talking about it and repeating what's already been said a billion times?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3