• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Closed Case Files

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Last I heard though, Best Buy will have them in early as an exlusive tomorrow (the 25th). So you might be able to pick it up early.
Yep, and for only $15.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Batman3777 wrote:
In the first shelf picture, third row, does anyone know what box set that is between the ROD TV Collector's Edition and the Rosen Maiden LE set? The one that says "Warning" on it?

I'm pretty sure that's Excel Saga. I've never seen the boxset in anything other than slimpack, so correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like Menchi on the side there. And if it says "Warning"? Yeah, that's probably Excel Saga...

And hey, I have that same copy of The Princess Bride!

Yup! You're correct! I googled the Excel Saga box set and saw the same box! Thanks! Laughing

I have the same copy of PB, too. Inconceivable!

I'm glad bamboo referenced the Hardy Boys, because that's what case closed reminded me of when I first heard of it. It always amazes me how many different complicated ways the writers could (can? Is CC still going?) come up with to kill someone... and sort of scares me. Shocked
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
GATSU wrote:
More importantly, though, did you see Twilight, Bamboo? And if so, would you care to comment? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have not seen Twilight, nor have I read the books. However, my friends have convinced me to go this week, so I can surround myself with all the gaggling vampire fangirls. Did you love it, Gatsu? I bet you were the first in line. ; )

My group and the bosses went to see it after work. IMHO, t'was OK; we came there to riff it anyways. Laughing

But I'm not suprised it made a whopping $70+ million this weekend, what with all the young women (teens and early 20s) and guys in that theatre. For a mere $37 million movie, it's obvious the open ending will earn a sequel. What intrigued me more was the vampire and Native Indian mythologies in it. I don't recall encountering the "bling-bling skin" in vampire mythology before, but a friend said it may have come from the Egyptian mythology of the undead.

But one thing I gotta say about it: it's so shoujo-y!!! Embarassed
Many shoujo anime have done the same things as the movie.

The girl friends with us went in a bit scared because it's a vampire movie (we see a lot of horror flicks) even though they knew there's also romance in it. Then they came away totally in love with the vampire guy! (The girl isn't bad herself, in a cute girl-next-door kind of way.) I should know; I drove one of 'em home and experienced her fawning for a half-hour. (Kinda like how many of youz fawn over anime/manga characters.) Laughing

And advice to you guys, confirmed by the girl friend (and those of youz who have seen the movie will know what I'm talking about): if you like a girl, don't be overly nice to her in the beginning. You gotta be a little bit of a douche bag. Girls hate it when they don't know what a guy has something against her. They're intrigued by it and will pursue it (and you for it), even when it makes them mad at the start. In her own words, it's girls' vice and downfall. If you're too nice, you'd just be lumped into a good friend to have. Laughing

One other note, it was interesting that both main locations in the movie I've just been to not too long ago. So it brought back memories of the familiar sceneries and, of course, weather. Wink

pparker wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
The only thing I didn't like was how short the episodes were.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on this, but I thought I remember listening to a past Right Stuf podcast where they explained Tweeny Witches were set up to be short episodes. Apparently they would be placed in between normal-length shows on Japanese tv.

I thought the show timings seemed strange too until it was explained that way.
The length does seem odd for this type of series. First time I've seen a dramatic show done this way, since it's usually for episodic comedies that don't want to drag out the humor or as you say are used to fill odd slots between other shows. I recall reading about it, but not a specific reason why it was done.

IIRC, Tweeny Witches was part of a complex half-hour timeslot in which about three ~8-minute shows were triple-billed together, and that's why it didn't have the normal OP and ED themes (to maximize the time for actual content).

Batman3777 wrote:

I'm glad bamboo referenced the Hardy Boys, because that's what case closed reminded me of when I first heard of it. It always amazes me how many different complicated ways the writers could (can? Is CC still going?) come up with to kill someone... and sort of scares me. Shocked

Yep, IIRC, a decade in the 400s and still going, though the eps/yr has been gradually lessening lately.
Terinos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
wow

another Haruhi Bunny Girl collector!!

missing Ryoko Asakura though...that was a tough buy since it was sold out as soon as it was made available...i was lucky enough to find it on Amazon Japan....

Ryoko is in the mail as I type this. I'm just waiting on her to arrive.
Terinos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I have to ask, Sammy (if you're reading this) where in the ever living hell did you find that Urd figure?! Shocked I would kill (not literally...but maybe maim a bit) to have one myself. Mind sharing when and where you got that lovely figure?

I got the Urrd/World of Elegance figure in 2006 from e2046.com. It's a resin figure.
Terinos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...someone tell me I'm not the only one amused that the Haruhi Bunny Girls are having their space shared with...Gandalf. Oh, you pervy wizard you.

Man that made me laugh, I may have to take him out of the box some day and set him with them. I usually don't collect non-anime figures, but that came to me from my parents as a christmas present a few years back, so I proudly display it with everything else.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I would consider giving Tweeny Witches another try in a cheaper form (actually meaning all together in one place form like a thinpack) because I got the first set way back when and watched it all, but even when the "things started to get interesting" part at the end of it, I still didn't care enough to finish it by getting the next set because I sensed some enviornmental issues getting in the way of my enjoyment.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The Gandalf thing had me cracking up, too. Way to get your mack on, Mithrandir! Very Happy

From appearance alone, Tweeny Witches seems like the sort of thing I'd never try, but the description makes it sound really intriguing. I'll have to keep my eye out for it.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
when I started watching TV again a few years ago, I looked up what kind of anime I could find On Demand (unaware then of The Click article.) I watched about 15 min of the trash that is Guyver before I could take no more. The Guyver was being heavily advertised at the time. It made me quite sad to realize that massive advertisement campaigns are launched for such crap, while more worthy shows go under the radar of those who don't follow fansubs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Guyver seems to be popular with those sci-fi/giant monster fans (trust me, the fanart is enough of an indicator). I don't think I could get much into it, no matter how much I tried to pay attention. I heard the 2005 series was supposed to be kickass stuff, but I honestly may never try it. It's not my thing.

The dragon on the cover of the Teeny Witches third DVD, anyone know if he's a major character?

I see you have an Elwyn figure in your collection. Wonder why they only released the Shining Tears girls Rolling Eyes
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Terinos, I have to say that I LOVE that Souseiseki and Suiseiseki figure. Is it a garage kit or an actual licensed figure? :O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
It looks like a cartoon

A cartoon that looks like a cartoon? No wai!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

The dragon on the cover of the Teeny Witches third DVD, anyone know if he's a major character?

That's their house, actually Razz

I have to say, I personally didn't get much out of Tweeny Witches. It was stunning to look at (LOVED the character designs) and the story was quite unique and interesting, but the pacing was completely out of whack, like it had been directed by an overeager puppy - toward the end it felt like the major plot points were being pulled out of absolutely nowhere. That and Arusu was monumentally annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

That's their house, actually Razz

I have to say, I personally didn't get much out of Tweeny Witches. It was stunning to look at (LOVED the character designs) and the story was quite unique and interesting, but the pacing was completely out of whack, like it had been directed by an overeager puppy - toward the end it felt like the major plot points were being pulled out of absolutely nowhere. That and Arusu was monumentally annoying.

Their...house? O_O

Awesome! Anime hyper

Does he talk?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3