• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Gad Guard Robot Adventure Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So why did you guys try to act like these license rescues were a big deal? They're not. We expected 10 new shows, we're only getting 5, and two of them were already expected.

Wait, we are getting five new shows. Sweet! I was only expecting two. These older announcements are underwelming to me since it looks like I own most of them. But I am excited about these two... err five new shows that are coming up.

Also, stop being grumpy. New shows is better than no shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, all that's left really is to ponder what those two unaccounted for licenses will be and to guess what will come out which day. I imagine they'll probably mention Oh! Edo Rocket tomorrow, and save Soul Eater (since overall it's probably a bigger license) for last.

One is probably Hetalia. The hint being on the same card that hinted towards Eva (which I imagine will be last).
I'm guessing they'll be announcing the five (maybe six) Geneon rescues first, then the new licenses.

EDIT: Oh, looks like I might be wrong about that Geneon first affair.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
roesnail wrote:
so after this ten day anouncement, what gonzo anime would funimation not have that another american company has since 2000. they got a few from adv, and now they are getting the geneon ones.

ADV still holds Full Metal Panic and Kaleido Star at the very least as far as I know, I think (and I would guess some others).

They still have Gantz. ADV just recently re-released the series collection.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, totaly burning me as far as Seto No Hanayome in favour of something I already have the R2 boxset for is TOTALY GOING TO MAKE ME BUY STUFF.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ADV's still got those three, Chrno Crusade, Peacemaker, Zaion, and FF Unlimited.
Bandai's got Blue Sub 6.
TP's got Samurai Girl.
Viz has Saikano.

Everything else is either Funi or former Gen though.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, all that's left really is to ponder what those two unaccounted for licenses will be and to guess what will come out which day. I imagine they'll probably mention Oh! Edo Rocket tomorrow, and save Soul Eater (since overall it's probably a bigger license) for last.

One is probably Hetalia. The hint being on the same card that hinted towards Eva (which I imagine will be last).
I'm guessing they'll be announcing the five (maybe six) Geneon rescues first, then the new licenses.

Oh God. I hope you're right about Hetalia. I doubt it since it hasn't even aired in Japan yet, and the subject material is pretty touchy in America (WWII? With the Axis Powers as the main characters? Yeeeeaaaah...) But I would give anything to support this show. It's currently my 2nd favorite title.

In short, if they licensed Hetalia, I can forgive this rescue licensing of lackluster shows.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
bci110 wrote:

Yeah, it looks like the pattern is announcing the Geneon rescues first (starting with - Ikki Tousen - and going up) and build up anticipation for the actual new acquisitions.

Nah, that would be too easy.

Anime exclamation Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho. Anime exclamation

Lance
FUNimation Christmas elf in training

So why did you guys try to act like these license rescues were a big deal? They're not. We expected 10 new shows, we're only getting 5, and two of them were already expected. So this means 3 new shows in reality.

Probably would have made more sense to do it in 5 days for the new shows, and then have an announcement of the other 5 rescues, or announce a new show and a rescue in the same day. To give the rescues any kind of special treatment is inane.

Every show is a big deal to someone. Some shows have large audiences, and some shows have small audiences. We let each show get their own spotlight.

Lance
FUNimation reindeer wrangler
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Gad Guard! I missed out on it the first time around so I'm looking forward to the re-release.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't know what, or if, Gankutsuou had any extras, but a cheap boxset of that would probably be more welcomed, since the singles on Rightstuf are expensive as it is at like $10 each.

Gankutsuou extras include Voice Actor Comments, Director Interview, Act 1 Storyboard, Promo Trailers, Commercials, Ending Theme Full Version, Art Settings, and a Fashion Gallery. $10 each seems like a good deal to me. Still pictures and reviews try but fail to convey just how incredibly awesome this series is.

Calculusman wrote:
Yeah, I probably would have announced a reasonably big title first (say Last Exile) and then maybe gone into some of the lame ones, just to get off on a good foot.

Last Exile was one of the lame ones. I don't get why people keep referring to it as one of the big titles. The series starts off with a lot of potential but it fails to deliver. The plot falls apart halfway through and important characters get dismissed without much excitement. Everyone I know offline who bought the DVDs regretted it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Busaiku Chama wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Oh God. I hope you're right about Hetalia. I doubt it since it hasn't even aired in Japan yet, and the subject material is pretty touchy in America (WWII? With the Axis Powers as the main characters? Yeeeeaaaah...) But I would give anything to support this show. It's currently my 2nd favorite title.

In short, if they licensed Hetalia, I can forgive this rescue licensing of lackluster shows.

The Axis Powers are clearly the bad guys. Its obvious that Germany, Italy, and Japan are attacking the rest for no reason other than power. Also one comic clearly protrays Japan has having psychotic tendancies (the one where he basically states that he will kill prisoners).

It's just that war is portrayed comedically (one of the rare exceptions is the American Revolution)

Also as I have stated Hetalia has a miniscule fandom and wouldn't be preliscensed as their is no need. Its not going to get a liscense war, as the type of series is not popular. Its most likely going to get something like a Mediablaster no-dub release unless it becomes popular with the fansub people.

The only upcoming show I can see being preliscensed is Fullmetal Alchemist due to the popularity of the first series.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I already own this, and thought it was mediocre at best. I wonder what will be announced next.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Good characters, good art style, good music...

Meh story and meh action.

It's a little better than some of the junk that followed from gonzo... *coughTRINITYBLOODcough* so it's at least a decent pick.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Probably would have made more sense to do it in 5 days for the new shows, and then have an announcement of the other 5 rescues, or announce a new show and a rescue in the same day. To give the rescues any kind of special treatment is inane.

Might have made you more happy, but what makes the most sense is what gets the most impact and discussion.

Companies don't want their smaller licenses completely overshadowed by their big ones.

This is part of why companies like Funimation generally avoid making a dozen plus license announcements at one convention any more (this summer's ADV and ARM Corp deals being an exception due to circumstances) and spread their announcements out over the calendar.

But there are also benefits to doing things all at once. Combined buzz.

I figure this one week of announcements is an attempt to get the best of both worlds, and also make the announcements during a period where there generally isn't much else going on in anime news.

As a consumer and reporter I'm not a huge fan of the format. But as a webmaster I love it (brings people back to this website every day) and I also understand why Funimation likes it, and from their point of view I think it is a good idea.

-t
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Another day another fail. I hope Funimation doesn't wait till too long to announce a show I actually care about. They should probably have announced the rescues earlier and just do the 5 new shows on individual days. Overall this is amazing underwhelming and if we don't even get 5 then I call this event overall a fail.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Considering that this series can still be purchased from Right Stuf for about $7 per disk, including the artbox, I would snag on the series from Right Stuf. You get all seven disks for about $49. Another $3 with the artbox. Cool

Last edited by Colonel Wolfe on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
bci110 wrote:

Yeah, it looks like the pattern is announcing the Geneon rescues first (starting with - Ikki Tousen - and going up) and build up anticipation for the actual new acquisitions.

Nah, that would be too easy.

^o^ Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho. ^o^

Lance
FUNimation Christmas elf in training

I have great faith in Funimation, you licensed the entire Dragon Ball series and rescued Karin. What ever is licensed, I am sure much anlitcal thought was put into licensing the series.

No they didn't.

It's been almost seven years since I've watched Dragon Ball, I must have forgotten Harmony Gold USA, Animax and other companies had a part in this series. Minor mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5