• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the idol thing just has to do with her "cute and innocent" image, which I think was (is?) still popular in Japan. Some idols are marketed to be cute and childish, not sexpots like some of our American idols.

On another note, the harem grows!

spoiler[and does anyone else suspect that the child Touya met at the train station might be his tutoree?

Also, Yuki's manager's face as the taxi drove away scared the shit outta me.

Touya, Touya, Touya...I was so proud of him when he got mad and said that no one could ever take the place of Yuki, but then he got distracted by poor Misaki. I know she was crying, but has there ever been a teenage boy this uneager to get laid?!?! Seriously, though, it seems like he and Yuki have been through a lot together the more flashbacks they show of them.]
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
What exactly is so scandalous spoiler[about Rina buying cigs from a vending machine? Was she underaged to smoke (I thought she was in her twenties) or just because it would look bad if an "idol" smoked? ] Confused

From what I gather, the young idol image in Japan is of a pure, innocent and cute virgin with no vices--the otaku fantasy. Anything that mars that image could, especially for a debut idol, destroy the fan base and literally end her career before it starts. They had to do this scenario, I suppose, but it sort of disappointed me because of the cliche.

Kruszer wrote:
I also think Toya is kind of jerk for spoiler[ignoring the phone when he knew Yuki felt terrible about falling asleep like that and wanted to appologize really badly. He could have at least told her he was doing homework or something and didn't have much time and let her speak her mind.]

Touya in the best light is spoiler[torn between maintaining his relationship with Yuki and not wanting to damage her career. Given 1986, he probably didn't realize how damaging his sleeping with Yuki or even being in her apartment, and having that go public, could be to her career. But his not answering the phone is of course the wrong way to deal with the situation. The manager, too, may already be seeing that her plan is a bad one, after Yuki's mistakes in singing. I won't say yet that the show is heading down a road of cliches already done in I"s Pure, but it's definitely turning in that direction. If Touya ends up with Yuki, I'm afraid we have no other path to trod to arrive at the destination. ]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
^That should be Yuki's decision if you ask me, not some corprate dumba**es, and probabally not even Toya's, and she certainly seems like she wants him as a part of her life. That kind of meddling in people's personal afairs grinds my gears.

Episode 6: spoiler[Some background and development of Misaki was nice, though it seems like she'll be the stereotypical "sick girl" character in this anime at this point. Laughing]

I was expecting Yuki to be a bit pissed off or depressed that spoiler[Toya didn't show and she waited all night. However, when they next talked she didn't even bring it up and was happy and sweet as ever. ] Confused

Then there's Yuki's manager spoiler[not taking the hint and continuing her blatant and soul-less, canniving bitch role even though she's not fooling anyone. ] I'd like to hate her but I just can't, instead it ends up being some type of mixture of pity and condecension with a pinch of ammusement when he just spoiler[gets angry and pushes her off.]
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
ep 06

Am I right in that the quality if animation completely nose-dived? I try to say nice things when I can, and it's been awhile since I saw the last episode besides just reviewing the last few minutes of ep 05, but this episode frankly just looked like crap.

Really, the only action of interest to me was spoiler[Mizuki(?), the young girl, tailing Touya and Misaki at the end, mistaking her for Yuki. That continues into the next episode. I assume she is the tutoring client, but they just dropped that thread of the plot as if it never happened. ]

The series REALLY suffers when spoiler[Rina doesn't appear. She is the energetic, driving force amongst what has suddenly and incredibly become a bunch of stock, uninteresting characters. This really feels now like just bad eroge adaptation, and I can't believe that just one episode ago it was still fairly good.]

Again, I try to see the positive, but unless this episode is strictly an anomaly, I'll be very disappointed.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
episode 6

I wasn't too impressed with this episode either. spoiler[Yayoi is quickly becoming my least-favorite character (no wonder Touya constantly refers to her as a doll), and while I sympathize with Misaki, I really wish she would just wake up and go out with Akira already.]

It must needs be said, though, that we're half-way through and Touya has yet to make a move on someone other than his girlfriend. I'm actually pulling for a Touya and Yuki ending; I thought from the opening episode that they would be pulled apart almost immediately, but it's being done much more gradually and tastefully than I could have imagined.

I also want more Haruka!!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I found episode 7 to be highly amusing. The conversations between Toya, his dad, and Misaki and then later Toya and Rina and her brother were priceless. As was the look on Toya's face when spoiler[Rina opened the whole wall back. It was one of those great anime "WTF!?" looks. Laughing ]

And Rina spoiler[getting up close and sniffing him saying he smells like paint thinners.] Laughing

and the spoiler[green dot of paint on his head durring his whole conversation with the tutoree girl, which he never noticed. I don't know what her deal is since she obviously doesn't need a tutor.]

Anyway though, wow...Haruka spoiler[seems to be a little unstable there] in contrast to her normal attitude. Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I've also seen episode 7, and my main comment is:

Isn't this just a more serious, mature version of a harem series?

I mean, geez, Touya has, what, five young ladies to balance now? And all but maybe one seem to have some degree of feelings for him.

I really hope that at some point spoiler[someone smacks around that troupe of girls] since Yuki's clearly too nice to do it herself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've also seen episode 7, and my main comment is:

Isn't this just a more serious, mature version of a harem series?

At the heart of it, yes. The key here is how it's being done, I think (thus the words "mature" and "serious" are appropriate). But if you think about it, spoiler[Misaki seems to be the only one other than Yuki with professed/apparent romantic feelings for Touya.

-Yayoi is "doing her job"
-Rina is supposedly staying loyal to Yuki & that's why she's trying to get Touya a job, although this has been ambiguous throughout
-Haruka sees him as her support
-and I doubt they'll have his tutoree make a "big-girl" move on him (I certainly hope not); she seems to be filling the little sister role quite nicely.]

The saving grace of the series is the development of some of the "harem members"-mainly Rina and Haruka, as well as the relationship between Touya and Yuki. What makes it separate from a harem romance? Well, I generally avoid harem romances- the only one I've truly seen (though only half-way) is Ai Yori Aoshi, but I know that spoiler[Ai and Kaoru end up together]. In this case, I really have no clue if Touya and Yuki can make it-which is why I'm still watching. I'm curious to see if she just leaves him behind and goes off to be an idol, or if they somehow work it out, or if he gets together with someone else.

I thought Haruka's development in this episode was key-and it was excellent. As a teenager myself having gone through a recent world-shift, I can totally relate to her breaking down and feeling utterly alone over such an insignificant thing as her friend not being home when she needs him the most.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
episode 8 (I'll get to 9 later)

Well, things are really falling apart now. spoiler[I wonder if Touya and Yuki can be reconciled at all.

Rina's monologue shone brilliantly in this episode- I've rarely seen a monologue pulled off in such a wonderful way. It bobbed and weaved, it was whimsical and serious and struck the perfect balance between the two.

Uh-oh, though, Touya's gone over to the dark side- Yayoi. Even if he's being a cowardly sort-of jerk right now, the writers have done a good job of making him a sympathetic character, so it's hard to be too harsh on him. He's obviously hurting because of what he sees happening.]

There's so many directions to go from here, and so many characters and options, that I'm wondering how it will all be resolved in no less than 4 episodes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Yes that splash sound you just heard was this series jumping the proverbial shark into incomprehensibility. After episode 9 I really have no clue as to what is up with Toya but the man needs a Mortal Kombat style uppercut. I'm looking forward to seeing if this series can be salvaged and who he'll end up with. Mad Confused
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
episode 9 & 10

Well, it's gotten progressively worse.

spoiler[First of all, I don't see how anyone could get away with the kind of treatment the drama club leader's gotten away with towards Misaki. She really should have just punched him in the face, made out with Akira in front of him, and then quit the club.

Score for Misaki and Akira! I hope that's over and done with, since Touya still has five ladies to deal with, although Yayoi is just going to be a sex doll and Mana's certainly not going to be the winner, so the only true contenders for Touya's heart will be, in the end, Haruka, Rina, and Yuki!

I'd actually be much more impressed with some screen-time for a Yuki and Rina dynamic. The competition is bound to take a toll on their friendship, although Rina's been acting incredibly mature about it; it must be hard for her to deal with this kind of "betrayal" but she knows it's not Yuki's fault, it's that devious Eiji.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Epidode 11: spoiler[Well, Toya's still digging his own grave with Yayoi, who actually seems to enjoy his suffering *cough*bitch*cough*]

spoiler[It also looks like the presure is finally getting to Rina. Only natural since she has several things weighing her down at the moment.]
Crimsonhawk009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
So have many of you dropped this show? The half way point I thought at least was very good.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
I've watched it through the halfway point and will probably follow it again next season. Watching a more mature male lead try to juggle the attention of so many women is interesting, and the music insider stuff if good.

Not a top pick, but worth a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole first season, but I can only barely tolerate Fuuji. More mature, my tush, he's just an older version of the generic, nice-guy loser we usually see, except spoiler[he cheats on his girlfriend and she doesn't really mind.] I don't find Yuki particularly interesting, either. Haruka could be interesting if they bothered to focus on her, same with the younger girl. Misaki (that her name? the sempai) seems like she's done, so that leaves Rina, who seems to be getting pushed aside in the industry, and the ice queen. I want to like this show, but I don't like it nearly enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6