• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
America is BETA free because they nuked Canada and Japan was taken back between episodes 2 and 3 by using these things called G-Bombs.

You bastards! No maple syrup or bacon for you, one year.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, we only made 1/2 of Canada uninhabitable. But pretty sure 1/2 of Canada was already uninhabitalbe so its OK :thumbs:
navel fluff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
This seems to undermine the explanation the franchise has (though I haven't heard it in any eps I've seen) that humanity gave up its differences and merged into one fighting unit to try and kick some CG alien ass. If we've merged, why do the Soviets still have secrets? Aren't we all in this together now? What purpose would having any secrets serve, if any of the allies fall, the Soviets fall as well. They couldn't protect their own country by themselves, I wouldn't bet that they could hold Alaska by themselves with whatever secrets they've concocted in their base.

Because in this world, there is still quite a bit of political competition and "them vs. us" going on between the remaining major world powers (at this point, basically Japan, America, and the Soviet Union). The original VN does a good job of illustrating ways the three of them tend to cross one another, particularly America and Japan. I don't think it has anything to do with actual real-world racism bleeding into the writing, though, because in the Muv-Luv world, it's damn near a universal opinion. All three major powers think the other two are plotting to get a monopoly over any given resource, up to and including TSFs and even manpower.

Of course they're suspicious of one another; all life on Earth is in very real danger of being wiped out, so humans are going to crack and start getting paranoid they'll be backstabbed while they're most vulnerable. That happens in large-scale wars, and TSFs are designed to combat not just the BETA, but human troops as well... that should be pretty telling in itself. All the infighting and intrigue is something even the main character in the VNs, who is from our world and thus has our "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST COOPERATE FOR A COMMON GOAL ALREADY" perspective, gets frustrated with time and time again. People do that under pressure.

And also because, as someone said before, America has that little... "insurance policy" in case the Soviets decide to start taking too many miles for America's inch.

On another note, someone before made a gripe about the timeline of WWII and everything afterward being changed, and it is a little jarring to think about, especially if you don't hear the full explanation that's given in Muv-Luv Unlimited about how the altered world history went down and affected things to the year 2001. It seems contrived, but even so, it effectively sets the stage for the kinds of drama Muv-Luv and Total Eclipse both touch on. Although the political drama can be really drawn-out and tough to sit through, it still helps illustrate the state of the world and how that shapes the people in it. If the Muv-Luv franchise has any strengths, one is absolutely in worldbuilding and depicting exactly how different this world is from ours, and why.

...I'd argue it has a lot more strengths than that, actually, but let's stick with that for now.

Personally, I'm happy with TE so far except for the fact it is spreading itself a little thin on introspection, as the review pointed out. Not thrilled, but I'm okay with it so far. I still maintain that it's best enjoyed once one has already played the original visual novels and/or read the TE light novels, though. It's not like other series haven't done similar condensations in their anime adaptations -- Umineko and Fate/Stay Night come to mind. There are probably tons of others that only make sense and become enjoyable once you've experienced the original incarnation of them, too.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="navel fluff"]
Echo_City wrote:
It's not like other series haven't done similar condensations in their anime adaptations -- Umineko and Fate/Stay Night come to mind. There are probably tons of others that only make sense and become enjoyable once you've experienced the original incarnation of them, too.

Which makes them failures as stand-alone adaptations.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Perhaps it does, but they're not so stand-alone when in the context of being an otaku in Japan, for whom these are made.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

The JSDF doesn't exist in Muv Luv, since WWII ended differently (Germany got A-bombed rather than Japan) and Japan does have a proper army, the Imperial one that you mentioned. Yui works directly under the Shogun which is why she's allowed to have a Takemikazuki.

lolwut? Srsly?! You're joking, right? I was kinda interested in this show, though I've fallen behind on the eps, but this sours the show for me. It also raises a lot of questions pertaining to the integrity of their historical fiction.

Hey, wouldn't it be similar if the US started making shows where it did not lost the Vietnam War or the South won the Civil War................ Laughing

LordByron227 wrote:
Well, we only made 1/2 of Canada uninhabitable. But pretty sure 1/2 of Canada was already uninhabitalbe so its OK :thumbs:

Yeah, but which half was nuked? Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yeah, but which half was nuked? Laughing

The BETA hive landed in Saskatchewan, so the middle half Laughing
navel fluff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Objectively, yes, though if I'm frustrated enough with an otherwise promising adaptation's ability to explain itself, I usually seek out the source instead. 99.999999% of the time, the original is better fleshed out. But this isn't anything new with anime based on VNs.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Hey, wouldn't it be similar if the US started making shows where it did not lost the Vietnam War or...

You mean like Watchmen? Smile
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
naval fluff wrote:

Because in this world, there is still quite a bit of political competition and "them vs. us" going on between the remaining major world powers (at this point, basically Japan, America, and the Soviet Union).
Japan and the USSR only "exist" because America gave them land. I don't see what they're bringing to the alien fighting party, the USSR doesn't seem to have any super-awesome-mega-weapon that helps out the humans, and the Japanese don't seem to have anything impressive either, just a mecha that is a POS that they keep forcing upon the main character. They aren't bringing anything to the fight that the Americans couldn't bring themselves, at least, not that I've seen.

They aren't "superpowers" if they've lost their country and survive because another country took them Wink
Quote:
Hey, wouldn't it be similar if the US started making shows where it did not lost the Vietnam War or the South won the Civil War................
The US making a show where it didn't lose the Vietnam War wouldn't be remarkable, and hasn't been, as the US did not lose the Vietnam War. The US military was never resoundingly crushed by the enemy in combat.

Muv-luv as a franchise is predicated upon radical shifts in how World War II was resolved. Shifts so radical that they really do need to be explained as there seems to be no way that they would have happened. America's nuclear bombs were first designated for Germany, but we were able to win conventionally before they were ready/needed to be deployed there (our nukes weren't even famously tested until after Germany surrendered). What does Muv-luv say to explain how Germany managed to hold out long enough that our nukes were ready for them and how they managed to put up such a strong defense that we were forced to employ them?

How Japan managed to come out of WWII without having to unconditionally surrender or be soundly defeated really needs to be explained as it is not plausible currently. The USA had Japan cut off from the world, the so called "home islands" were on their own, with little food and resources. While Japan did still hold resource-rich parts of Asia (like China) they were unable to reliably ship those resources back to the home islands. Not only that, but their forces on mainland Asia were getting their asses handed to them by the Russians.

We had them under siege, they were running out of supplies and food, and we were poised to crush them militarily. We've seen Grave of The Fireflies, and the country depicted within that movie was not one that had the ability to resist the Allies. If they didn't surrender, we would have crushed them. The American government was dead-set on an unconditional surrender. What happened to change that?

If they don't come up with a plausible historical fiction then there was no point in even trying, they could have saved money and time by just giving us mechs fighting aliens with a fair dose of fanservice. I don't want to see Total Eclipse become another poorly-constructed, illogical Japanese historical fiction like Zipang, especially when it started out with such promise.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I don't want to see Total Eclipse become another poorly-constructed, illogical Japanese historical fiction like Zipang, especially when it started out with such promise.

I'm pretty sure your questions are outside the scope of Total Eclipse anyway.

If you want the answers, go play MuvLuv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, even though the Imperials didn't unconditionally surrender, the way several characters talked about the 2nd World War in game, it seems as though the conditions were still quite harsh. One could only assume that the "conditions" of the conditional surrender were similar to the ones the Japanese were pursuing prior to the Atomic Bombings. Namely, cotinutation of Monarchy (and in this series the Shogunate) and not much else; i.e. they would still have to give up their spoils of war and all.

Also, Japan was not given US land in this "universe", only the Russians (and I don't think there are any specific details saying what the conditions are so one could assume its a lease of part of Alaska the US doesn't find particularly important).

There is a particular timeline which would result in most of the world getting ruined/flooded (because of AMERICA fukyea) and we've given/leased land for the Japanese refugees.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

If they don't come up with a plausible historical fiction then there was no point in even trying, they could have saved money and time by just giving us mechs fighting aliens with a fair dose of fanservice.

And people would still complain about that. Rolling Eyes
Let me guess: You're going to rant on Gundam next because it doesn't establish it's fictional setting?

Do you even Google?
Here.

First link.

There are spoilers abound on that wiki but that page should be enough to answer your complaints about the setting.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the timeline said that Japan accepted unconditional surrender "contrary" to IRL? That makes no sense since they did accept unconditional surrender.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

If they don't come up with a plausible historical fiction then there was no point in even trying, they could have saved money and time by just giving us mechs fighting aliens with a fair dose of fanservice.

And people would still complain about that. Rolling Eyes
Let me guess: You're going to rant on Gundam next because it doesn't establish it's fictional setting?

Do you even Google?
Here.

First link.

There are spoilers abound on that wiki but that page should be enough to answer your complaints about the setting.
Thanks for the link. Regretfully it answers none of my questions, and as LordByron227 pointed out, it is actually incorrect concerning actual history.
Quote:
If I remember correctly, even though the Imperials didn't unconditionally surrender, the way several characters talked about the 2nd World War in game, it seems as though the conditions were still quite harsh.
Only problem here is that, besides MacArthur fruitlessly protesting, there don't seem to be any ranking members of the Allied powers who would have consented to letting the Japanese keep their Emperor.

This series has a plethora of media fleshing out its backstory, and it strikes me as a franchise that wants to be more than just fanservice with no regard for a serious plot/backstory, yet its backstory in the show is full of holes and none of its other media plugs them. Seems to me that this show is trying to rise above other fanservice mecha shows like Infinite Stratos but is falling short. If they weren't going to do historical fiction right, which they so far aren't, I don't see why they wasted the time and money half-assing it.

One other thing: How does America "lease" its land to the Soviets? They have no country, few resources (and none of note), and no money. I wish I could lease a property for free...

I wanted to get into the show, the "historical fiction + Blue Gender" seemed kinda cool, but as a mild history enthusiast, I sadly can't. Not when they're being less historically accurate than Hetalia, combined with a slew of other plot implausibilities. It trolled me Sad Sad Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5