• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PW: Viz Media Lays Off Up to 60, Closes NY Branch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
animalcalls wrote:
It was only a matter of time, I suppose.

God help us all.

Imperialkat

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
This is sad to hear. More than half of the manga I actively collect are from Viz and I just got into their Sig Ikki line (good stuff there). More lost jobs is never a good thing. Hopefully this restructuring allows them to keep most of their titles.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Now I feel bad for not renewing my sub to the Shonen Jump magazine. But they have a point, there was no good addtional content to make me want to keep getting it. Man I feel like a parot repeating the importance of extras. As much as I love yugioh it bugs the crap out of me they only have extras about the cards and I don't play video games.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
...Unless some of them are the people behind the decision to censor a significant percentage of Viz's output (though it's highly unlikely). Phoquem, phoquem, the lot of 'em. They're the reason why I've kept boycotting the company, even after Trish Ledoux left. That's why they're short of one small sliver of their money. Maybe some other slivers as well because some others feel the same way; can't say for sure.

Just to let you know, there really aren't a lot of things being censored anymore. A few years ago the censorship policy seemed to have changed, so very few things are censored. And even so, it's rare that things that are censored hugely impact the story. Often I think it's a small safety net to protect the company from angry, raging parents or people who think it attacks their religious beliefs.

I know pricing was brought up earlier, and that confuses me. Viz has, in my opinion, a very competitive pricing scheme. Their Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat books are the least expensive books on the manga shelves (last time I checked). If you want a very high-quality niche book, of course you're going to pay a bit more. But you really get what you pay for... nice paper, wraparound cover...

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, and I wish all the best to everyone at Viz. Good luck!
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Dragynstorm wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
...Unless some of them are the people behind the decision to censor a significant percentage of Viz's output (though it's highly unlikely). Phoquem, phoquem, the lot of 'em. They're the reason why I've kept boycotting the company, even after Trish Ledoux left. That's why they're short of one small sliver of their money. Maybe some other slivers as well because some others feel the same way; can't say for sure.

Just to let you know, there really aren't a lot of things being censored anymore. A few years ago the censorship policy seemed to have changed, so very few things are censored. And even so, it's rare that things that are censored hugely impact the story. Often I think it's a small safety net to protect the company from angry, raging parents or people who think it attacks their religious beliefs.

Nothing should be censored at all. Those "angry, raging parents" should be told in no uncertain terms that they themselves are the parents of their precious little crotchfruit--not the media--so they themselves should do the jobs they took on when they decided to breed. The people who think that their religions are being attacked should also be told to bugger off. If their faith is so tentative that it can be rocked by a bleepin' Japanese comic book, then their minds should change, not the publishers'.

e/v.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Dragynstorm wrote:

Nothing should be censored at all. Those "angry, raging parents" should be told in no uncertain terms that they themselves are the parents of their precious little crotchfruit--not the media--so they themselves should do the jobs they took on when they decided to breed. The people who think that their religions are being attacked should also be told to bugger off. If their faith is so tentative that it can be rocked by a bleepin' Japanese comic book, then their minds should change, not the publishers'.

e/v.

Oh, I agree, nothing should be censored. However, Viz is a business and sometimes changes have to made in order to sell books. Children can't have "real" jobs, so in order for them to be able to buy manga, they usually have to get money from their parents (be it gift or allowance or what-not) or have the parents buy it for them. That said, if a parent doesn't like the content/cover/color of the spine, there's a possibility that they will not buy the book or let their child buy the book. Personally, I think it's dumb, but I'm not a parent. They're probably just "protecting" their child from the "dangers" of pantsless little boys and bare breasts. Viz knows this, so they are simply protecting their sales.
suika

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

For all we know, the IKKI and Signature series could be some of the more reliable sources of income, because they don't depend on money from fickle teenagers.

Actually, after reading today's Mangablog MangaBlog that unfortunately doesn't appear to be the situation. It's the franchise series and stuff aimed at those "fickle" teenagers that are doing better overall. Probably because most people outgrow manga once they are out of their teen years.

Emphasis mine:

Quote:
Every year, retailer Brian Hibbs does an exhaustive analysis of bookstore sales of graphic novels, using Bookscan’s cumulative sales information for the last week of the year. Bookscan doesn’t cover every bookstore, and sometimes things get misclassified, but overall it seems to be a pretty good snapshot. But here’s the thing: Not one of the Viz Signature books shows up in the list of the top 750 sellers of 2009. Not one. You know what sells really well? Naruto and Vampire Knight, of course, and Death Note still shows up near the top despite the fact that the series ended a couple of years ago. What is sort of surprising if you only read blogs is that the Pokemon and Legend of Zelda manga also do very well, better than most of Viz’s other books. But Pluto, Ooku, Oishinbo, even Nana (not a Signature title but one that is hugely popular in the blogospheres) are all absent from the list. The picture may be different in comics stores, but that’s a niche market, especially for manga. If these books aren’t selling well in retail bookstores, then Viz has a problem.

This is actually a fairly common situation in publishing—everyone knows that your blockbuster best-sellers, the ones sold in airports and Wal-Mart, support your more literary, less bankable titles—and I doubt that Viz will stop publishing these series they are so obviously invested in. I’m just sayin’.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well ****. They have a bunch of my favorite titles...Nana, Honey and Clover, Monster...Not freaking good. >.<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
suika wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

For all we know, the IKKI and Signature series could be some of the more reliable sources of income, because they don't depend on money from fickle teenagers.

Actually, after reading today's Mangablog MangaBlog that unfortunately doesn't appear to be the situation. It's the franchise series and stuff aimed at those "fickle" teenagers that are doing better overall. Probably because most people outgrow manga once they are out of their teen years.

Well, one thing to keep in mind about those Bookscan numbers is there are a LOT of outlets that those don't cover. They claim to cover 70-75% of book sales, but they don't cover some very big retailers (like Wal-Mart) and, more importantly for comics, they don't cover a lot of specialty retailers. Comic book stores are not included in Bookscan numbers, and while the number sold to comic book stores through Diamond (the major comic book distributor) are available, I've never seen anyone try to add up the Bookscan and Diamond numbers to really complete the picture. Add on top of that that while Amazon, B&N.com and Borders.com all report to BookScan, I'm willing to bet that specialty retailers like Right Stuf or Robert's Anime Corner Store do not, and that's also a significant chunk of business that's not being counted.

Brigid's main point, that pop-titles like Naruto and Vampire Knight vastly outsell well-regarded titles like the Sigikki/VIZ Signature lines, is definitely true, but I think leaping from "these books aren’t selling well in retail bookstores" to (basically) "these books aren't selling well enough to earn their keep" without having all the data is a little unfair.

While this is definitely sad news, I don't think this means the end of VIZ...far from it. Hopefully this just means they're just ensuring they survive this down economy by making themselves a leaner, more competitive company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn. It's very concerning if a company like Viz is in trouble when they have the few ongoing series that can actually be considered relatively mainstream.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I really hope this isn't as bad as it seems, because Viz Media and Funimation may be the only companies in the United States of America that license anime and usually give the licensed series English audio tracks.

Geneon is gone, like ADV and Central Park media, Bang Zoom is likely stop dubbing anime all together, possibily and Bandai and Media Blasters typically license anime subtitle only these days. Same with Sentai, save a couple of titles.

I agree it's concerning but on the bright side, it seems like Section 23 is going to start dubbing a lot more in the future. They're dubbing Guin Saga and going back to dub some of their older releases that we're sub only.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Dragynstorm wrote:
eyevocal wrote:

Oh, I agree, nothing should be censored. However, Viz is a business and sometimes changes have to made in order to sell books. Children can't have "real" jobs, so in order for them to be able to buy manga, they usually have to get money from their parents (be it gift or allowance or what-not) or have the parents buy it for them. That said, if a parent doesn't like the content/cover/color of the spine, there's a possibility that they will not buy the book or let their child buy the book. Personally, I think it's dumb, but I'm not a parent. They're probably just "protecting" their child from the "dangers" of pantsless little boys and bare breasts. Viz knows this, so they are simply protecting their sales.

Yeah--protecting them from people like me who want to read unmolested stories. Hence, my money goes elsewhere. Why don't they just license series they don't have to screw with to avoid the wrath of the masses of the asses who like feeding carpet-bagging litigation crocodiles and paralytically fear having to talk honestly with their own children? Phoquin' duh!

There's also that horse hockey about, "Oh, we got the consent of the original creators to chop the living bejeezus out of their creations." Well, Viz, show some accountability to those of us with the money you want and tell us what you said to them to get this consent.

e/v.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Uh, it's not like every single series that Viz puts out is edited. AFAIK, only a few shonen and kids manga have been censored, and even so it's been pretty minor stuff. Worth boycotting the volume, sure, but the entire series or publisher? Hardly.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Yeah--protecting them from people like me who want to read unmolested stories. Hence, my money goes elsewhere. Why don't they just license series they don't have to screw with to avoid the wrath of the masses of the asses who like feeding carpet-bagging litigation crocodiles and paralytically fear having to talk honestly with their own children? Phoquin' duh!
Which, uh, they do.

Boycotting an entire company when most of the series they put out aren't censored is, frankly, stupid. You just don't buy the titles they censor, and buy the ones they give full respect to -- like, say, Viz's Signature line titles. Is that actually voting for your wallet? As you say, "Phoquin duh."
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I agree it's concerning but on the bright side, it seems like Section 23 is going to start dubbing a lot more in the future. They're dubbing Guin Saga and going back to dub some of their older releases that we're sub only.

Great for the industry but bad for me. Razz

That means some of their $40 MSRP sets will go to $50 or $60.. Not really a big deal, but it's something that I factor in as someone who watches subs 99.74934% of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Uh, it's not like every single series that Viz puts out is edited. AFAIK, only a few shonen and kids manga have been censored, and even so it's been pretty minor stuff.

Sorry, but when the "Shonen Jump Advanced" *snort* line is so hacked up it makes you want to throw the book out in disgust, that is not "pretty minor." Covering up nipples in I''s, and even enlarging the one part where they were censored (as a joke) in the original Japanese book--no. Go away. Preferably out of business. Then maybe someone who cares about fans and art as much as money will get the stuff you previously used to wipe your backside and put it out the way it's supposed to be.

e/v.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6