• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Titles that don't make sense to you.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
How does that sound?

Wow. That was actually quite useful. It made me have a moment of wondering if I was in the right place.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
...I have no idea what is Tari Tari mean.

See the pattern? As far as I can tell the "tari" represents the present participle verb form. In English that would be words like eating, living, breathing, etc. I interpret the double "tari" to symbolise "being in the present" or "living for the moment", which suits the overall optimistic tone of the series. How does that sound?

Not to mention that the English translation of the episode titles followed the "X-ing & Y-ing" format. I also dug up a post from Crunchyroll that explains/interprets the title:

Quote:
Basically, it's a pun based on the new club's title. You'll find Japanese people rather enjoy puns and wordplay, so stuff like this isn't uncommon.

There are a lot of ways to conjugate Japanese verbs, one of which is a "list form" using -tari. You can think of it a bit like the gerund in English. If you forgotten what that means, it's just adding "ing" to a verb. For instance, "I'm reading, writing, and chewing gum." Tari is slightly different, but this should give you the general idea.

The new club's name is "Singing, Dancing, and sometimes Badminton Club". On the application form, it wasn't written using the -tari construction, but it could easily have been.

I also like to think that the English title of the show is "Doing This & That".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
To clarify Gosick:

Gothic is pronounced and written in katakana as Goshikku since there is no direct equivalent of the "th" sound.

Someone evidentally tried to translate this (accidentally or on purpose) back into roman characters without reference to the original word.

You can't really go wrong with "Go"
The "Shi" could be si, shi, thi... they chose "si"
The kku is some sort of k sound, they chose "ck" because of the sokuon.

It's like that story of a phone manual translated from Japanese by someone with just enough English knowledge to be dangerous. They composed the sentence "hook the phone" but didn't know how to spell "hook". They decided on "fu" for the first sound and "ck" for the second.....

jl07045 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
as for Neon Genesis Evangelion, the Japanese title makes sense to me, but the English title doesn't.

All i know is Neon is a chemical element. In the Japanese title(新世紀) it says "new world" or "new Century"

The English title is Greek for "Origin new gospel", which is literally nonsense due to incorrect grammar. They were probably aiming for "Gospel (eu - good, angelion - message) of the new origin/birth", which is likely an alllusion to Instrumentality. Also the Book of Genesis is called souseiki in Japanese, which is similar to shin seiki.

The standard translation for "Shin Seiki" is New Century, the individual kanji meaing new world/generation history/chronicle. Evangelion is from the greek εὐαγγέλιον, "good news" (commonly rendered via old english as "gospel").
The kids are from the generation born in the new century after the second impact in 2000, so you can interpret it as something like "Good News [for/of the] New Century/Generation/Era".
As stated, neon genesis just mean "new genesis" (neos being the root of the english prefix neo, which you should be familiar with).
I can only assume they were looking at the word genesis from a western (latin) rather than a greek point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
Baka and Test - Evil or Very Mad

They're idiots, and they're taking tests (and battles, more battles than tests).

I thought it was because it was written by an idiot, and was a test of the viewer's patience.

I would like to add Love Hina- I know 'Hina' refers to the Hinata Inn, but let's be honest here: 'Twilight' is a better love story than this. At worst, Edward's just possessive and Bella is shallow. Naru Narusegawa makes Bella Swan look like girlfriend of the year.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
As to Gosick, Someone has asked about the spelling of the title of the light novel/anime Gosick on a Japanese question-and-answer website, and an answerer has said that the creator Sakuraba Kazuki wrote the title was a compound which consisted of 'go' and 'sick' in one of her Gosick books.
Probably Ms Sakuraba also thought of wordplay on 'Gothic', though.

dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
^
See Shiroi Hane's post above you.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Lucky Star - Despite being the most-watched anime in my collection, the title has nothing to do with the series. It should have been titled "Konata the Star", because she is, you know. Don't deny it.

Fixed that for you. Anime smile
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
I dug up the Kadokawa edition of a Gosick novel by Sakuraba Kazuki and re-read the afterword in the book.
The afterword says that the title 'Gosick' is a compound which the author made of 'go' and 'sick' (≒ ill).
It also says that the title is related to 'Gothic', too.

lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have a thought on the anime title "Kiss Dum: Engage Planet" or "Engage Planet Kiss Dum" as it is sometimes called.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
I dug up the Kadokawa edition of a Gosick novel by Sakuraba Kazuki and re-read the afterword in the book.
The afterword says that the title 'Gosick' is a compound which the author made of 'go' and 'sick' (≒ ill).
It also says that the title is related to 'Gothic', too.

I can't help wondering if they were making excuses...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
You do realize that Aqua and Aria are both manga? Two volumes were made, titled Aqua, then right after, Aria started and ran for 12 volumes. So the anime didn't randomly change the title, it just went with the one of the second series (probably because it was running at the time)

Sorry, that's not my impression, which was once reading Kozue was asked to change the title to Aria because of a change in publications.

I'll admit, it's been a while since reading this, so I could be confusing it with another series.

Still, Aqua sounds better. Razz

@Shiroi Hane:
I had a feeling this was the reason. It didn't take me long to see Victorique and think "Huh. So the show is really 'Gothic'".

@Dessa:
I know I didn't clarify, but I dislike the title because FUNimation translated one word, but not the other, and still screwed it up. To me, it should be "Idiots and Tests", even if "idiots" is changed to "Numbskulls" because FUNimation is terrified of the word "idiot". They're... idiots for doing this.

@Chiibi:
If you don't stop spreading that lie, I'm telling and showing the world you're really a 62 year old man who lives with 13 cats and you haven't washed your boxers since 1968.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
@Chiibi:
If you don't stop spreading that lie, I'm telling and showing the world you're really a 62 year old man who lives with 13 cats and you haven't washed your boxers since 1968.

That's unusually detailed, especially the date and age . . . almost too detailed to be made up. Are you sure you're not actually talking about yourself?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ewwwwwehhhhh

I will never be able to unread that...Sad

Quote:
Naru Narusegawa makes Bella Swan look like girlfriend of the year.

I'm not a big Naru fan....but that is just wrong.
At least Naru has a working brain, self-respect, and independence. Bella is just an idiot who is completely dependent on an abusive jerk.

@Mesonoxian Eve: I get it, you're a Kagami fan. But to say she's the star of the show is a joke. She, her sis, nor Miyuki are nothing special. Konata carries Lucky Star. It is not Lucky Star without Konata's otaku antics. Don't kid yourself.

Also, I can assure you I'm quite a petite but attractive woman and no, you may not have my three sizes. :p As this as the internet, it's true I could be lying...so I don't know how to convince you I am female....except perhaps talk about things only girls can experience.
.........lol. I don't think you want me to go there...do you? Anime smile
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
@Dessa:
I know I didn't clarify, but I dislike the title because FUNimation translated one word, but not the other, and still screwed it up. To me, it should be "Idiots and Tests", even if "idiots" is changed to "Numbskulls" because FUNimation is terrified of the word "idiot". They're... idiots for doing this.

They only word they translated in the title was "to/and". The Japanese title is "Baka to Test". Test was already in English.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
so I don't know how to convince you I am female....except perhaps talk about things only girls can experience.
.........lol. I don't think you want me to go there...do you? Anime smile

I say go for it, as payback for the boxer comment
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6