• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Southcross wrote:
running Firefox here, 1.5, the tab shortcuts aren't working properly for me. when I hit e for Encylopedia or f/v/m the tab switches then almost immediately switches back to News.

I'd suggest upgrading, 2.0 has been out for awhile and tends to work much better with sites that have compatibility issues with the older Firefox. I'm using Firefox 2.0 and the tabs up top are working without a hitch for me.

.Sy wrote:
Anyway, I like the cleaner layout. I do see some room for improvement in the "Forum" section. Not to be too picky, but could we please have a bigger font? It's a tad too small for my liking, and slightly larger text shouldn't take up that much more room.

I like the font size as it is, it's a standard font size used in most programs and websites. There are controls in most browsers to bump the font size up a little if you so wish.

And about the Bandai banner mentioned earlier, I've been noticing that too in the old layout as well so I think it's just a bad banner ad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't access the beta site at all. Shocked

I either get a '500' error code or 'Application error(Rails)'.
Maybe you're fixing something at the mo?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
peko wrote:
I either get a '500' error code or 'Application error(Rails)'.
Maybe you're fixing something at the mo?

Yes, that was when Dan was fixing it and had to shut it down temporarily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Laughing

You guys surprised me!

I was adding some catagories to my "My Anime" section and it went from Old ANN to New ANN when I was clicking to add a catagory. I almost went "What the Hell's wrong now!" Laughing Laughing

Seems to be working okay so far.

Thanks for making the lettering in the comments section darker. Much appreciated!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Okay, I kinda don't recognize this forum anymore.

It's weird yet cool at the same time.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
My first honest reaction upon seeing the 'new' layout os ANN was, "Oh my god... why!?" Simply put: I. Hate. It.

Ugh, my heart sank when I saw how it'd been converted to a single-sided main page, and the color changes don't help. I really loved it as it was, especially the double-sided information and navigation systems.

Anyone else feel this way? *sigh* This is really depressing me already... Crying or Very sad
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree with you. At first I thought it was one of those domain squatter places, but nope, there's the columns, there's the anime news....
Erg. It looks too generic.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
I’m not loving it, but I don’t think I hate it (although it is painfully plain), except for one huge annoyance. The site is now much bigger than my screen width-wise, and I have to keep scrolling over to see everything on the right. And I have to keep scrolling back and forth just to read this forum, because the ends of all of the posts are off the screen. I think it’s that massive banner’s fault. Not everyone has huge screens, guys. Anime cry

Or is it something I’m doing wrong? Is there a way to fix it? I’d hate to think I’ll have to scroll all over the place just to see everything on ANN from now on, since I use the site about a million times a day.

I also have to say I liked all of the navigation on the left better as well. Definitely not liking the top thing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
I’m not loving it, but I don’t think I hate it (it's painfully plain), except for one huge annoyance. The site is now much bigger than my screen width-wise, and I have to keep scrolling over to see everything on the right. And I have to keep scrolling back and forth just to read this forum, because the ends of all of the posts are off the screen.

It's configured for monitors that are at least 1024 pixels wide (1024x768).

However within a short while we will be creating a version of the site for 800 pixel screens.

640 x 480 we just won't be able to support Sad

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Personally I find it hard to read the forums with the text being so small, and also going through my anime it feels like it take forever to scroll through it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Obviously we're undergoing some "growing pains" the new version of the site, with its new back-end, is more memory intensive than we had anticipated. More memory for the web-server, and and additional server are on their way.

Memory should hopefully be in tomorrow. New server in a week or so.

-t
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
It's configured for monitors that are at least 1024 pixels wide (1024x768).

However within a short while we will be creating a version of the site for 800 pixel screens.

Mine is 800 wide, so that’ll be great! I can only hope it'll be really soon; this is more than a little annoying. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well I'm going to bring about a change in pace here and say that I actually like it. It's missing the aesthetic appeal of the old page, but if Dan eventually does convert the old themes to the new design it will solve that one issue I have with it and the rest seems great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
The search bar at the top right gets cut in half here, I only get the bottom. Happens in Safari but not Camino.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
What I like and dislike about the new layout:

- The new search bar.

I think I've said this already, but wow am I impressed with the new search bar on the top right! It finds pretty much everything; if I saerch a title it finds the encyclopedia entry for it right away with all mentions of it in articles following, if I search a username it gives me their profile followed by their MyAnime list followed by posts they have made in the forum. The previous search engine seemed to refuse to search into the Encyclopedia, MyAnime lists, and forums, so this is definitely a refreshing change. There's even a seperate search in the Encyclopedia!

- The new layout.

Call me crazy, but I actually like the new design. It looks more "modern" in a way and while it is less unique to the ANN Style (Jadress is gone, the signature ANN shade of blue is gone, etc.) it is aesthetically pleasing, and complements the ad better too.

- Easier to navigate.

Everything is in one neat little corner now (News, Views, Encycl., Search, etc.) instead of a big long list where you had to scroll down to find things. There are quick links to columns and quick links to New anime In Japan/Licensed/Top 10 in the Encyclopedia too. The difference between the search bar in the forum and the general site search bar is no longer hard to comprehend.

Dislike

- Small font.

Ya, I agree with others, it's kind of hard to read such small print sometimes, especially in the MyAnime lists. It's not a huge problem, but occassionally I have to strain my eyes a little bit to see some small text.

- It's slow.

Probably temporary, so not really an issue.

- Links are frequently broken.

Same as above.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9