• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The beginning of Episode 3 was bumpy, but after that it was smooth sailing. I find myself getting used to the new character designs after every new episode and I’m of the mind that facial animation has improved from previous seasons. Hopefully, Studio Passione can make more improvements as the series progresses. Kunou is a nice, cute addition and bold Asia is fun as well. I’m looking forward to seeing how the encounter at the end of the episode will turn out next week.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Random question, and this time not related to a metaanalysis

Do you think the power combat of DxD will be any good? I didn't mind the fights in the first two seasons; they were fun and creative. But so far, we only really have Issei vs Sairoag as reference and I want to know what people think will happen in episode 4.

I also ask because currently, my reference is a bit skewed after Episode 22 of Fate/Apocrypha which, while not good in choreography, had good animation and art, and cool effects so my thoughts would be very wonky if i tried to grade DxD

Itll get better. Think of it like the original Dragon Ball. As time went on the fights and the stakes escalated and along with it is the creativeness and intensity
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The character design tweaks have been a downgrade rather than an improvement, and they look especially rough in the first few minutes of this episode.

Maybe because I liked the new rounder, bouncier character designs from the start, but I did not saw any downgrade. Maybe it is because Konosuba made me appreciate this kind of animation or maybe it is because I prefer the fuller non-skinny bodies than the cool beauty of the old ones, but for me it has been ok, specially if we take into account that Passione is a new studio and albeit the people doing the drawings obviously have prior experience, bad management could create a "Jiggly Heaven" (Shirobako reference).

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4,

I know Leviathan said she was going to guard the perimeter (although given that the other side seems to be able to teleport at will I don't see much point in that), but why isn't Azazel taking part in the fight? I know they got someone strong coming in as backup but it sounded like he was just passing on this fight for some reason.

Also, Issei mentions Saji was a strong enemy during the Sitri game. I'm assuming that's something from the novels as I don't recall them having an official rating game. Would someone be kind enough to point out which volumes the anime has skipped over, I'd like to understand some of the references they make.
James S.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 4,

I know Leviathan said she was going to guard the perimeter (although given that the other side seems to be able to teleport at will I don't see much point in that), but why isn't Azazel taking part in the fight? I know they got someone strong coming in as backup but it sounded like he was just passing on this fight for some reason.

Also, Issei mentions Saji was a strong enemy during the Sitri game. I'm assuming that's something from the novels as I don't recall them having an official rating game. Would someone be kind enough to point out which volumes the anime has skipped over, I'd like to understand some of the references they make.

As Azazel stated in episode, he has to watch over everyone, kinda like a general, and manage all the supernatural forces present so he can't actively participate this time.

As for the Gremory vs Sitri rating game, it was SUPPOSED to happen during BorN. If TNK had just adapted volumes 5 and 6 and left 7 to be a movie or something, the Gremory vs Sitri fight would take place during the first half of the season representing volume 5, the second half would be the Gremory vs Astaroth fight that took place in volume 6 with Issei going Juggernaut Drive, of which the retcon called Episode 0 showed the climax and ending. Volume 7 as a movie would show the proper Loki fight as well as the Vritra mode that was mentioned in episode 2. Get ready to see that in 1 or 2 episodes because it's honestly amazing.

One gripe I had with this episode was some of the cut content. Due to having to make up for the disaster called BorN, Passione really had to cut stuff so they could implement proper flashbacks and whatnot so stuff could make sense as we saw in episode 3? with Connla the guy who Issei's fighting at the end of this episode.

As a result of that, we missed Issei and the gang visiting tenryu-ji which is basically the heavenly dragon temple which got some comments from Ddraig, and they also cut out the portion where Azazel shields Asia's eyes when Cao Cao appears due to him wielding the holy spear, which would be very damaging for Asia as she's a very devout believer and a devil, which would have an adverse effect compared to if she was still human. Other than that the episode was done well enough and Le Fay finally makes an appearance.

Fun fact: Despite being a prominent female character in the series, after Le Fay's appearance in Volume 9, she has never once been seen naked in any of the DxD volumes following to date, of which we have 25 main volumes as well as 4 side story DX volumes, and she has never been seen naked in any supporting media either which ranges from video games to official bonus art.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
James S. wrote:

Fun fact: Despite being a prominent female character in the series, after Le Fay's appearance in Volume 9, she has never once been seen naked in any of the DxD volumes following to date, of which we have 25 main volumes as well as 4 side story DX volumes, and she has never been seen naked in any supporting media either which ranges from video games to official bonus art.

And yet spoiler[she still joins the harem]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. A new stand-in for Freed shows up to oppose the more knightly characters, with his only distinguishing characteristic being a silver third arm that allows him to wield three swords

Oi, don't blame the dude for looking like his brother...
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
On a positive note, grumpy drunk Rossweisse going all Gate of Babylon on everyone was super entertaining to watch.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... it sounds like I’m having more fun with this season than the reviewer. I agree that it would be better if the guy at the end of Episode 4 was taken care of sooner rather than later, but other than that, I found the episode overall to be pretty engaging. Cao Cao’s appearance could’ve definitely been handled/executed better, but I still find myself somewhat curious to see at least how exactly he will end up going forward with that mindset. This was also the episode that I finally have gotten fully used to the new character designs. I find myself liking Kunou more whenever she’s onscreen. Le Fay being a fan of the boob dragon definitely had me scratching my head and a bit suspicious too. I found Issei’s reaction to her being a fan to be humorous and quite fitting. Drunk Rossweisse going on a rampage was funny to watch as well. I don’t know if many anime-only people watching this will be on the same page as I am, but I’m personally feeling pretty satisfied right now with how Hero’s played out so far.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Hmmm... it sounds like I’m having more fun with this season than the reviewer. I agree that it would be better if the guy at the end of Episode 4 was taken care of sooner rather than later, but other than that, I found the episode overall to be pretty engaging. Cao Cao’s appearance could’ve definitely been handled/executed better, but I still find myself somewhat curious to see at least how exactly he will end up going forward with that mindset. This was also the episode that I finally have gotten fully used to the new character designs. I find myself liking Kunou more as she spends more time onscreen and Le Fay being a fan of the boob dragon definitely had me scratching my head and a bit suspicious too. I found Issei’s reaction to her being a fan to be humorous and quite fitting. Drunk Rossweisse going on a rampage was funny to watch as well. I don’t know if many anime-only people watching this will be on the same page as I am, but I’m personally feeling pretty satisfied right now with how Hero’s played out so far.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this season a lot too, maybe the only thing I don't like much are the flashbacks with the skipped content (although it's not the studio's fault).
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This was supposed to be the chance of High School DxD to return to greatness after the poor reception of the 3rd Season, Born, but it seems that´´´´s only a dream. I feared this season would end up being a cas of the author not understanding how anime adaptations should work and begging the studio to be as awfully faithful to the novels as possible(aka. a 1:1 copy of the novels), and so it is. But wait, it has bigger issues: The character artstyle is now inferior to TNK´´s adaptations, the fanservice is just there and boring, and even the fight scenes lack finesse, inventiveness in the coreography, or the creativity of better fights in shonen series.

Then there are the episodic reviews detailing the many issues at the moment, and I just can´t help but abandon this franchise completely. We don´t need a copy of the source material to make for a great ecchi action series. Season 2 will forever remain a high point in the franchise(it´s like an Arrow type of situation)

To me, Ichei Ichibumi reeks of being a manchild that thinks the best adaptations have to be obbligatorily a copy of the source material, and I can´t help but disagree with him this time. Good thing I ws concerned with going back to the franchise, because now I bail out of it. Novel fans might enjoy it, I won´t. At least season 3 offered a good storyline for Akeno(even if it was not in the novel, it was a good addition).
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
This was supposed to be the chance of High School DxD to return to greatness after the poor reception of the 3rd Season, Born, but it seems that´´´´s only a dream. I feared this season would end up being a cas of the author not understanding how anime adaptations should work and begging the studio to be as awfully faithful to the novels as possible(aka. a 1:1 copy of the novels), and so it is. But wait, it has bigger issues: The character artstyle is now inferior to TNK´´s adaptations, the fanservice is just there and boring, and even the fight scenes lack finesse, inventiveness in the coreography, or the creativity of better fights in shonen series.

Then there are the episodic reviews detailing the many issues at the moment, and I just can´t help but abandon this franchise completely. We don´t need a copy of the source material to make for a great ecchi action series. Season 2 will forever remain a high point in the franchise(it´s like an Arrow type of situation)

To me, Ichei Ichibumi reeks of being a manchild that thinks the best adaptations have to be obbligatorily a copy of the source material, and I can´t help but disagree with him this time. Good thing I ws concerned with going back to the franchise, because now I bail out of it. Novel fans might enjoy it, I won´t. At least season 3 offered a good storyline for Akeno(even if it was not in the novel, it was a good addition).

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/8i89b0/so_high_school_dxd_is_into_another_mediocre_season/?st=jgzjqq62&sh=3401a9b7

1st Comment is your reply.

PS:Stop posting this everywhere. I don't wanna have to keep replying. <.<
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
was that actually the school that the other Hero faction group attacked? Looks more like what we briefly saw of the underworld back in season 3 when they were traveling by magic train

Joshua Zarate wrote:
I don’t know if many anime-only people watching this will be on the same page as I am, but I’m personally feeling pretty satisfied right now with how Hero’s played out so far.

yeah, I pretty much feel the same way you do
James S.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
was that actually the school that the other Hero faction group attacked? Looks more like what we briefly saw of the underworld back in season 3 when they were traveling by magic train

I'd like to point out that Rias and co were talking about Old Satan faction remnants and had nothing to do with the Hero faction. The subtitles are there for those who can't understand Japanese for a reason.

AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
. A new stand-in for Freed shows up to oppose the more knightly characters, with his only distinguishing characteristic being a silver third arm that allows him to wield three swords

Oi, don't blame the dude for looking like his brother...

On a side note, Siegfried and Freed aren't brothers. spoiler[They were part of an institute in the church where the training caused all those who were apart of it to have white hair. Freed does have a sister though. And no she's not part of Issei's harem nor will she ever be.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
James S. wrote:

I'd like to point out that Rias and co were talking about Old Satan faction remnants and had nothing to do with the Hero faction. The subtitles are there for those who can't understand Japanese for a reason.

Old faction, hero faction, whatever. simple mistake. a place got attacked, was just curious where it was
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10