• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club to Suspend [New Life+] Novel Sales After July 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

psiho66 wrote:
What is worrying is the message these 2 suspensions sends, that if a group doesn't like a manga, Anime Light Novel ect. if they cry enough the company will stop the creation of said property, Imagine companies in Japan accepting the complaints and demands of crazy PC Shonen Jump Weekly's nutjobs that are plaguing the west ,because they are harassing the company and the creator enough, I hope this never happens, but its a scary thought.

Oh for christssake. No this won't happen. There no way anyone go this far to put this kind of pressure for something as petty as "not liking something". You can't kind of outcry some random person opinion.

How much you want to bet?
Not really since Japan doesn't care about the west. now the east is different because right now there are tensions with n. korea and china.
青白

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
青白 wrote:

What is frustrating to me is that people can't seem to distinguish between the difference between the novel and the author, and compounded is that the author genuinely spent a long period of time making the novel successful, only to be axed for some immature things he said ages ago that more than likely no longer characterizes who the author is as a person.

The author wrote the novel, it's perfectly normal for the author's personality and actions to determine whether businesses want to do business with him. In this case, they don't.

It is not like the author behaves like a sociopath or psychopath. You normally would not do business with somebody if the person is difficult to work with, not because he has a different (or radical) political orientation. And like I said in my previous comment, how much of his present personality reflects the tweets he made in the past? Likely very little, considering it has being five years. The businesses seemed to have made the decision purely from getting cold feet after some trivial criticisms made by some nobody with too much free time.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

psiho66 wrote:
What is worrying is the message these 2 suspensions sends, that if a group doesn't like a manga, Anime Light Novel ect. if they cry enough the company will stop the creation of said property, Imagine companies in Japan accepting the complaints and demands of crazy PC Shonen Jump Weekly's nutjobs that are plaguing the west ,because they are harassing the company and the creator enough, I hope this never happens, but its a scary thought.

Oh for christssake. No this won't happen. There no way anyone go this far to put this kind of pressure for something as petty as "not liking something". You can't kind of outcry some random person opinion.

Not really since Japan doesn't care about the west. now the east is different because right now there are tensions with n. korea and china.

Not just that. You do not want to piss off one of your biggest markets, and China is one of anime's biggest markets. It's the same reason why Hollywood changed Red Dawn's antagonists from Chinese to North Koreans.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

psiho66 wrote:

Not just that. You do not want to piss off one of your biggest markets, and China is one of anime's biggest markets. It's the same reason why Hollywood changed Red Dawn's antagonists from Chinese to North Koreans.
Even thought there one of anime's biggest market, they also really don't care about China's feeling. It's more down to the political stuff cause let's behonest readers don't care about your political statements. So really it's just someone finding dirt and spreading over your face situation added in with rising tensions and boom you have this situation (Though it could also be the red dawn situation.) Tbh the series will probably continue in like 4 months though because nobody really paid attention to this except the political side of things.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:

It is not like the author behaves like a sociopath or psychopath.

So someone has to be literally insane before it's OK for the people around them to make the decision to not to want to deal with their rubbish? That's just absurd.

Quote:
You normally would not do business with somebody if the person is difficult to work with, not because he has a different (or radical) political orientation.

When someone pisses off one of your biggest market, that's a textbook example of them being difficult to work with.

Quote:

And like I said in my previous comment, how much of his present personality reflects the tweets he made in the past? Likely very little, considering it has being five years.

Neither you nor I know how much those tweets reflect the author's current personality. It's perfectly likely he's still just as much of a racist as he ever was.

But to be frank, it doesn't matter how much of a racist he is or isn't now. What matters is that his racism is causing trouble for Hobby Japan and J-Novel Club right now, so they're dropping him.

Quote:
The businesses seemed to have made the decision purely from getting cold feet after some trivial criticisms made by some nobody with too much free time.

Those 'nobodies' are one of the biggest markets for anime in the world, and those 'trivial' criticisms are about things that Chinese and Korean people feel very strongly about. They can choose to use all that free time to boycott HJ, so it's perfectly sensible that HJ ditch this scumbag to avoid that.

#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
Even thought there one of anime's biggest market, they also really don't care about China's feeling.

Considering how much money they make from China, I'm sure they care about their feelings.

Quote:
It's more down to the political stuff cause let's behonest readers don't care about your political statements.

When said 'policitical statements' are about mocking some of the worst things to happen to your country, as well as general racism, people do care about political stuff.

Quote:
Tbh the series will probably continue in like 4 months though because nobody really paid attention to this except the political side of things.

... You realize that Chinese and Korean people have memories, right? Why take the risk to piss them off all over again later?
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
青白 wrote:

So someone has to be literally insane before it's OK for the people around them to make the decision to not to want to deal with their rubbish? That's just absurd.

Quote:
You normally would not do business with somebody if the person is difficult to work with, not because he has a different (or radical) political orientation.

When someone pisses off one of your biggest market, that's a textbook example of them being difficult to work with.

Quote:

And like I said in my previous comment, how much of his present personality reflects the tweets he made in the past? Likely very little, considering it has being five years.

Neither you nor I know how much those tweets reflect the author's current personality. It's perfectly likely he's still just as much of a racist as he ever was.

But to be frank, it doesn't matter how much of a racist he is or isn't now. What matters is that his racism is causing trouble for Hobby Japan and J-Novel Club right now, so they're dropping him.

Quote:
The businesses seemed to have made the decision purely from getting cold feet after some trivial criticisms made by some nobody with too much free time.

Those 'nobodies' are one of the biggest markets for anime in the world, and those 'trivial' criticisms are about things that Chinese and Korean people feel very strongly about. They can choose to use all that free time to boycott HJ, so it's perfectly sensible that HJ ditch this scumbag to avoid that.

#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
Even thought there one of anime's biggest market, they also really don't care about China's feeling.

Considering how much money they make from China, I'm sure they care about their feelings.

Quote:
It's more down to the political stuff cause let's behonest readers don't care about your political statements.

When said 'policitical statements' are about mocking some of the worst things to happen to your country, as well as general racism, people do care about political stuff.

Quote:
Tbh the series will probably continue in like 4 months though because nobody really paid attention to this except the political side of things.

... You realize that Chinese and Korean people have memories, right? Why take the risk to piss them off all over again later?
And people generally don't care what an author said about your country. I'm sorry but the cold truth is they really don't care about their feelings and oh oh oh... their opinion. People who read are only there for the story and another thing is a lot of the people going against this author only had political goals and probably nvr read the story. I also like your memory statement, but is China and s. Korea really gonna care 4 months later? S. korea definitely won't since those dolts will probably be on a new issue like their birthrates, while China is still doing a trade war or talking to N. Korea. I mean the fact is people who read the LN(which is more popular in Japan still than outside of it) don't care what the author said in the past. Also considering Chinese and South Korean do the same without being called out, i think I have pretty strong arguments why it's only a politcal issue from a guy who was young and dumb and why it's not really that big of an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Author is racist.
He compared two subject.
Flat and Big boobs.
Damn, those whore really angry with him right now
Ah, i forgot about the Chineese born Japan.
Really racist. How can someone Born in japan yet called chineese? DAMN
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:
青白 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

And people generally don't care what an author said about your country. I'm sorry but the cold truth is they really don't care about their feelings and oh oh oh... their opinion. People who read are only there for the story and another thing is a lot of the people going against this author only had political goals and probably nvr read the story. I also like your memory statement, but is China and s. Korea really gonna care 4 months later? S. korea definitely won't since those dolts will probably be on a new issue like their birthrates, while China is still doing a trade war or talking to N. Korea. I mean the fact is people who read the LN(which is more popular in Japan still than outside of it) don't care what the author said in the past. Also considering Chinese and South Korean do the same without being called out, i think I have pretty strong arguments why it's only a politcal issue from a guy who was young and dumb and why it's not really that big of an issue.

If they don't care then why they cancel the anime and even suspend the LN? Your argument totally contradict with reality and not making any sense at all.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Zapdos wrote:

removed quote pyramid.

If they don't care then why they cancel the anime and even suspend the LN? Your argument totally contradict with reality and not making any sense at all.[/quote]notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
The ONE TIME racism actually gets someone in trouble in Japan, people throw their hands up and say we’re living in some Orwellian nightmare world.

‘Oh but what about that one guy who did a worse thing’

Alright, screw him too. But there’s really no need to jump to the defence of a boring untalented racist and his nationalistic power fantasy novel to make that point. This guy only got what was coming to him.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

If they don't care then why they cancel the anime and even suspend the LN? Your argument totally contradict with reality and not making any sense at all.
notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.[/quote]

Fans who are not Chinese or Korean would not care but the Chinese market does.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.

What do you mean "no fan is getting angry"? Of course they aren't. If they get mad about it, they're probably not going to be a fan anymore. The people who are pointing it out are potential fans who were lost because of the author's tweets/comments. And potential fans are just as or more important than fans because they're what allows a series to grow.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.

What do you mean "no fan is getting angry"? Of course they aren't. If they get mad about it, they're probably not going to be a fan anymore. The people who are pointing it out are potential fans who were lost because of the author's tweets/comments. And potential fans are just as or more important than fans because they're what allows a series to grow.
you can get mad at a series and still be a fan. It's sad that you think fans can't get mad. Also potential fans would be people who see his novel by chance not the ones who follow this debacle like they are morally superior.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
The ONE TIME racism actually gets someone in trouble in Japan, people throw their hands up and say we’re living in some Orwellian nightmare world.

‘Oh but what about that one guy who did a worse thing’

Alright, screw him too. But there’s really no need to jump to the defence of a boring untalented racist and his nationalistic power fantasy novel to make that point. This guy only got what was coming to him.
Did you even the novel? There is no nationlism in it and is completely deviod of his opinions irl. Also tweets 5 yrs ago=/=you in the present unless your one of those people who never change.(Ricegum)

Last edited by #TheGreatestP4P on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zapdos wrote:

notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.[/quote]

Fans who are not Chinese or Korean would not care but the Chinese market does.[/quote]Chinese market doesn't care when novels that contain real racism in it's content against japanese exist in their country and are striving. Once again, the only side that is mad is the stalkers who went on his/her twitter and started a fire like if they don't also have the same tweets from years ago. (Political nutjobs in short)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6