• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
The majority of negative reviews boiled down to the fact that it wasn't exactly like the anime and only purists actually cared about that.

The majority of negative reviews, including the one on this website, were mainly focused around how poor of a show it was. Because it was a bad show on multiple levels (shot composition, narrative, dialogue, direction, etc.), irrespective of the original. But whatever helps you sleep at night (maybe you can console the creators for losing their amazing show to "purists" and nothing else).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
God, even if it was bad I expected it to get at least another season. I can't remember the last time a Netflix showed got canned like that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
animedude1982 wrote:

I know one thing. Netflix realizes they made a mistake and pissed off the Bebop fanbase. they're probably now breathing down the neck of the guy directing the Gundam adaptation. Sunrise and Netflix execs are probably checking every script, storyboard, design etc.,

Wait you’re serious?

Animechic420 wrote:
Maybe the show should’ve went in a different direction from Cowboy Bebop. Like have it just take place in the CB universe, but with different characters.

Would work if Cowboy Bebop had interesting side characters that were actually interesting. And if the fan base at large cared about them.

Kadmos1 wrote:

Actually, in situations like this, the actors and actresses do deserve some blame. They could have easily said "No" to the project.

????

That wouldn’t in no way stopped the show from being produced.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
one piece cast is leagues better

LOL no, it isn't.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The show tried so hard to be the anime, copying plots, imagery, music that it's hard to separate the two when talking about it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I’m not surprised at all.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
It's a shame. This really deserved a second season. But the anime purists had to remind us how toxic they can be.

Man, just stop being delusional. You're always the same person who says in these threads that a "vOcAl mInoRiTy" hated the show because it wasn't faithful to the anime, when in reality, A LOT OF PEOPLE just didn't watch the show because it just sucked from almost every level, not only as an live action adaptation of the anime, but as its own product. Every website that talks about this show that has a comments section have a very big amount of people who agree the show is bad in several fronts. Honestly, unreasonable contrarians like you who keep seeing something of value in this show, and keep saying the "toxic anime purists" got the show cancelled are an actual vocal minority.

Netflix cancelled the show because people didn't watch it, and NF only cares about money. Low viewer-numbers don't bring money nor new subscribers, hence, it was cancelled. End of story.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Maybe the show should’ve went in a different direction from Cowboy Bebop. Like have it just take place in the CB universe, but with different characters.

Would work if Cowboy Bebop had interesting side characters that were actually interesting. And if the fan base at large cared about them.

I think I'm among the minority that likes the VT episode / character to the extent that I do, though she's obviously not one that could sustain a show on her own. Interestingly enough, Dai Sato started an online short story of her Cowboy husband (set during their youth) but never finished it. It's been decade(s) since I've read it, but that would've been an interesting conduit for a show attempting to further explore the Bebop universe, focusing on these two and those in their orbit. There would've been so much creative freedom there that I think fans could've accepted, giving us a look at the world a generation before our crew, without the risk of serious fan blowback.

Bebop's characters are obviously beloved and all, but the defining feature of the show is its eclectic style and its low-key thematic delivery. If a show measured up in those two key areas and featured new characters and stories, I think it could be well-received. Not that it's all realistic to expect a Western live-action company to bankroll a tangential concept like that in 2021, and I highly doubt Watanabe will ever revisit the property in such a manner. Then again, maybe he'll feel compelled to prove the idea of Bebop could be revisited via some similar avenue in order to wash the aftertaste of the LA out of our collective mouths, heh.

The LA was at its best (I struggle to even type those words) in the one (?) episode where it told an entirely new story, or at least twisted it to feel new, with Faye and her faux surrogate mother. Like, it was still far from great, but it was probably the best result of their creative ambition. The show would've been far better off if it avoided the disaster of Vicious/Julia, curbed the enormity of winks and inferior retellings of previous anime episodes, stopped trying to tie absolutely every element together from a plot perspective (rather than from a thematic one per the original), and simply told more offbeat stories with a creative twist like that one.[/i]

Last edited by Spoofer on Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:16 am; edited 3 times in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
animedude1982 wrote:
I know one thing. Netflix realizes they made a mistake and pissed off the Bebop fanbase. they're probably now breathing down the neck of the guy directing the Gundam adaptation. Sunrise and Netflix execs are probably checking every script, storyboard, design etc.,

Netflix only cares about money lol they're not gonna "realize" anything, given their track record with mediocre-borderlining-in-horrible live action adaptations. Also, you're pretty naïve to think that Netflix are gonna listen to anime fans for input on their shows, when they're supposedly hire writers for this kind of content who claim they're "fans".
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
The anime fans attacked the actor playing Ed over less than a minute of screen time. You can't convince me the toxicity of the fandom had nothing to do with this.

That scene's scorn is 100% justified, though from my own experience, almost universally I see the criticism of the scene directed towards the choices made by the producers, and most people having extreme empathy for the poor first-time actor who's gonna get saddled with that baggage. It wasn't the actor's fault.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to see it get canceled because I thought the live action Cowboy Bebop was good and had a lot of potential but it also had it's short comings. The cast and new Yoko Kanno score was the best part and I thought the action scenes and visuals were actually pretty good for a Netflix TV series. You can tell they had a blast making the show and there was a lot of passion in it but a lot of questionable choices were also made. The biggest issue was with the Whedonisms of the script and I felt like the episodes were padding the stories out to fill in a full hour and the Vicious storyline was just not that good. I think they could have worked out the flaws if they were given a second season so it's too bad we won't get to see the rest of it. Even with it's flaws I still think the live action Bebop was better than a lot of other shows on Netflix. I also think how they handled keeping Ed some kind of plot twist surprise was badly handled and they should have just revealed them right in the casting announcement instead of keeping it some weird secret and making everyone unnecessarily mad.
livin_large

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I dont understand why more adaptions don't do this. Well, I mean, I do understand, they want the big characters everyone knows for more views, but creatively, this approach makes a lot more sense. Have a random American kid get the Death Note and ask what would happen in that scenario, rather than trying to Americanize Light and the other characters. In this case, maybe follow another bounty hunter and his crew as they take down criminals, with maybe a few nods to the original Bebop crew and setting. That's the only way I can see these adaptions ever hoping to work. But the problem is that's not as brand safe or as marketable as trying to reinvent the wheel these adaptions keep trying to do.

One Piece is going to be just as bad. Only way I could see that working is if they follow a small time pirate group in one of the blue seas with low stakes, or maybe some kind of Marine procedural as they investigate and protect a town from pirates.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I also think how they handled keeping Ed some kind of plot twist surprise was badly handled and they should have just revealed them right in the casting announcement instead of keeping it some weird secret and making everyone unnecessarily mad.

Yeah, everyone just assumed that releasing a sneak peek of a character the producers were obviously trying to keep secret two days after the show's release was damage control. They knew people didn't like the show, even before being released. Thats why they did what they did with the Ed reveal, with the "Lost Sessions" teaser, and showing the shot-for-shot remake of the anime's OP credits.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well that was quick. Thought it had at least one more season. Also what does 74 million viewing hours so far means? I honestly can't remember how Netflix calculates their viewership anymore but is this good or bad?
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Well that was quick. Thought it had at least one more season. Also what does 74 million viewing hours so far means? I honestly can't remember how Netflix calculates their viewership anymore but is this good or bad?

It's confusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9