• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Main Character, Staff Identified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
You know US shounen anime fans are fine with every female character in the history of their genre being a bishoujo, but as soon as bishounen enter the equation we start complaing. Are you afraid you're going to get turned on by them or something by those bi-sexual tendancies you thought you had kept at bay? Laughing
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HitokiriShadow"]
Tony K. wrote:
That Allelujah Paptism guy has a cool design, but what's wth the name, is that like a play on words "Hallelujah Baptism" or something?

What was posted on AoD actually has his name as "Allelujah Baptism." It's going to be really hard to take this guy seriously. It's just such a ridiculous name. Laughing

If people can take the name Kitty Kitten from Space Runaway Ideon seriously, then I don't think this one will be to much trouble. Although this is going to have more western exposure than Ideon did so it might be the butt of many jokes.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh God no......Please don't let it be another Gundam Wing team. What's wrong with having a female in the ranks? I like females....they make the world a much better place.....really....I like anime females a lot, so come on....at least one female lead. I hate anime with all male leads (Saint Beast anyone.....can't get gayer then that)

For an anime with a female main Gundam pilot, there's always Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. For a Gundam story with a female main lead, you have to go outside anime and check out Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Also I am excited about this stealth unit along with what might appear to be a sniper gundam.

The Gundam Exia's stealthiness is actually a throwback to the first Gundam series. Conventional radar and radio communications can't be used because of the spread of the GN particles—harkening back to Minovsky particles for the first Gundam.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
That Allelujah Paptism guy has a cool design, but what's wth the name, is that like a play on words "Hallelujah Baptism" or something?

Look up "Kyrios" for another not-so-subtle reference. Wink

Quote:
What was posted on AoD actually has his name as "Allelujah Baptism." It's going to be really hard to take this guy seriously. It's just such a ridiculous name. Laughing

It should be Paptism (パプティズム), not "Baptism." It looks and sounds like baptism (パプティズム) in Japanese, but a lot of people are not noticing that Allelujah's last name begins with a "pa-" instead of a "ba-."

Quote:
Here is what was posted on AoD:

Quote:

Pilot: Setsuna (Setsuna F Seiei), 16
Fated boy soldier born amidst the civil wars of Kyrgistan.

Setsuna's home was the fictional Kurdis Republic (クルジス共和国). Kyrgistan is pronounced differently in Japanese (キルギス共和国).

Last edited by Egan Loo on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Also I am excited about this stealth unit along with what might appear to be a sniper gundam.

The Gundam Exia's stealthiness is actually a throwback to the first Gundam series. Conventional radar and radio communications can't be used because of the spread of the GN particles—harkening back to Minovsky particles for the first Gundam.

Oh? I had an idea but just not that detailed of an idea that it went that far back. I thought maybe it was a throw back to the God of Death Duo Maxwell.....Maybe thats my Gundam Wing fanboy getting a little to excited. Regardless of series 7 blades and in your face attacking sounds like my kind of unit.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
You know US shounen anime fans are fine with every female character in the history of their genre being a bishoujo, but as soon as bishounen enter the equation we start complaing. Are you afraid you're going to get turned on by them or something by those bi-sexual tendancies you thought you had kept at bay? Laughing

I think the main problem is simply that the idea of a bishonen team in Gundam brings back memories of Gundam Wing which brings back bad memories to a lot of people. Gundam Wing isn't exactly highly regarded among Gundam fans. The fact that it resulted in bringing yaoi fangirls into their threads, discussion boards, etc, doesn't help.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

I think the main problem is simply that the idea of a bishonen team in Gundam brings back memories of Gundam Wing which brings back bad memories to a lot of people. Gundam Wing isn't exactly highly regarded among Gundam fans. The fact that it resulted in bringing yaoi fangirls into their threads, discussion boards, etc, doesn't help.

The makers of Gundam Wing very much wanted yaoi fangirls to like that show, I can't see how people were surprised by that. That would be like someone being mad that the Dirty Pair has yuri fans or something. But perhaps the fans only focus on the yaoi subtext, because there was nothing else good about it. The storyline was just a huge, gigantic mess, and the mecha combat went back to something similar to 70's super robo shows as opposed to the realism Gundam is known for. The biggest problem with the series was definitely not the bishounen character designs. I also think future Gundam creators would be well-advised to stop ripping off Tomino's story-lines and come up with something original for once.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
-Still needs to read the Gunpla article in Otaku USA-
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yay they revealed the characters~! Now we know more.
You can look at the model Gundams here
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Gundam Wing isn't exactly highly regarded among Gundam fans. The fact that it resulted in bringing yaoi fangirls into their threads, discussion boards, etc, doesn't help.

The makers of Gundam Wing very much wanted yaoi fangirls to like that show, I can't see how people were surprised by that.

I think the point HitokiriShadow was trying to get across with that last sentence is that Gundam Wing introduced yaoi fangirls into the Gundam fandom. Whether this was done purposefully by the creators or not does not change that fact.
Blanko4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:

You can look at the model Gundams here

Shocked Wow. Virtue Gundam is wide. I guess when they said it was well-armed and armoured, they weren't kidding.

I initially thought the the Dynames Gundam would fill the role the Strike and Impulse did in the CE universe. Now that I think it about it, Dynames sounds more like Astray Gundam Blue Frame. Now I'm curious if its adaptable to different environments as well as different weapon configurations.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Gundam Wing isn't exactly highly regarded among Gundam fans. The fact that it resulted in bringing yaoi fangirls into their threads, discussion boards, etc, doesn't help.

The makers of Gundam Wing very much wanted yaoi fangirls to like that show, I can't see how people were surprised by that.

I think the point HitokiriShadow was trying to get across with that last sentence is that Gundam Wing introduced yaoi fangirls into the Gundam fandom. Whether this was done purposefully by the creators or not does not change that fact.

They stereotype of yaoi fangirls being some kind of plague is stupid. I'm sure avoiding the discussions couldn't have been that hard for him.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
They stereotype of yaoi fangirls being some kind of plague is stupid. I'm sure avoiding the discussions couldn't have been that hard for him.

No offence, but I'm sure there are Gundam fans out there who wish they could have discussions about the series without having to deal with fangirls squealing about Heero and Duo being gay together... or something to that effect.

Digressing a bit, I have to comment that how anyone can fantasize about any of the Gundam Wing pilots in the first place is beyond me. While the show was OK to watch, I found them all to be flat and boring characters.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Is it just me or do you think were going to see a lot of Iraq War commentary in this series?

I don't mean to sound rude, but it's probably just you.

I also don't mean to sound indignant, but the show probably would be a commentary on the Iraq War if this were American-produced, but since it's a Japanese production, it's pretty much a given that it won't be; we're the ones at war with Iraq, and not Japan.

But enough about that. This isn't the place for any kind of political discussion.

Anyway, what interests me about this show, is that this is the first Gundam series to use the current calendar system. IMO, a U.S. TV broadcast (in a non-adult timeslot, but enough about that...) is guaranteed when and if this gets licensed (which if BVUSA does, I think we should give them another chance, but I digress...).

Finally, to those who think it will be another Gundam Wing, watch before you judge.

(imitates Elvis) Uh, thank you, thank you very much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5