• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note's 2nd opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Skys wrote:
As with any genre, there will be songs people like and those people do not, but I believe blanket statements against a genre should not be made based on limited exposure to it. In any case, I was fine with the second opening. I thought it fit well with the show. I agree with NocturnalUX, the song does a very good job of portraying Light's state of mind and the overall direction the show heads in the second half. I do not believe a more common genre of music for anime would have had the same effect.

If you're referring to me, then you're wrong about something. I don't have limited exposure to it. I've heard it too often courtesy of my younger brother and his many CDs of various bands. I just find it unappealing.

I am just referring to people in general and myself at one point. Originally, I really did not like metal too much, but after carpooling for around half a year with one of my friends who listens to excessive amounts of metal, I found out that not all of it is that bad. The contrary actually, there is some metal which is actually very good.

I digress, though, I was just stating that I believe before someone makes an assertion such that a whole genre of music or anything for that matter is not good, that one should have a sound understanding of that genre first. I just hold dislike for blanket statements because it seems like there are always exceptions if one looks for them.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
i read the [expletive] thing. Its WRONG, you know how many translations there are out there, take the first one you see and believe it, bullshit.

Actually if I were to believe the first thing I hear then I would believe they were saying the "f-word," but since people with more knowledge of Japanese than me have explained what it is, I no longer believe that.

Last edited by Veoryn87 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:

Actually if I were to believe the first thing I hear then I would believe they were saying the "f-word."

Same with me. Originally, I thought they were saying the F-word (I am sure I'm not the only one), but that can be attributed to my lack of knowledge of the Japanese language. I had not known of the Japanese word 不安(fuan), so when they are saying 不安か(fuan ka) in the song my first thought would be to try to understand the word using the language I do know, English. Consequently, the word that sounds most similar is the F-word. But now knowing this Japanese word, I can see how I could have so easily mistaken it; the language I grew up with is dominating over a language I still do not know much about. Also, I am sure the band intensionally used 不安か because it sounds similar to the F-word, so that further drives the confusion.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
Ya, well I trust my Japanese blood more than a fake translation site.

K then;

here's another one,
and another
oh look, here's the music video with Japanese subtitles.

And they all say the same thing.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
okay, well that doesn't really do anything for me.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Facts?
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
facts or speaking/being japanese.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
"facts or speaking/being japanese" do nothing for you?
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
me being japanese does, a kusoga, i'm done with this kuso. Lost cause. In any case, the song kicks a whole lotta ass and has EVERYTHING to do with death note.

Last edited by sanosuke32 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
How about a photocopy of the official insert booklet lyrics? Does that do anything for you?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7165/booklet07ma5.jpg
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out whether the song itself or the images that accompany it are more unintentionally hilarious. It's a toss-up at the moment. Razz
emodusty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
DeathMetal or the F word it was awsome.
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Death Metal is being discussed on ANN? The sky is indeed falling!

I actually knew about Maximum the Hormone before I knew about their connection to Death Note (I wouldn't classify them as death metal though). I thought this was a refreshing step away from the usual J-pop clishés. Now bring on At the Gates, Ensiferum and Anaal Nathrakh!
sodafiend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
I personally like the second opening and ending of Death Note but I like a lot of hard rock/metal songs. I was surprised when I first watched the show to hear an opening and ending like these. There are a few exceptions but for the most part I was used to hearing Jpop songs in openings that were neither memorable or appealing to me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I know no one is interested in this discussion anymore, but I just wanted to make mention of some degree of metal I can tolerate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJCMjKVPAPI

Now, I know what you're thinking, "A metal version of this song!?" It actually has a nice mix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6