• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the second episode of Idol Incidents, and I think they embrace the premise more. This episode does pick up on policies less general than "Corruption bad" (That is still an important issue but kinda vague I'll admit), namely dumping trash without regard for the nuisance it causes the residents, both in terms of odor and visually. It was done legally (more or less) as it was dumped on private land owned by the (non Idol) Diet member, though he had some shady deal with the company (that runs amusement parks) doing the dumping so still the corruption bad thing. The main character has the idea to turn the trash , which mostly consists of props and the like from amusement parks, into an art piece and got it done with the help of some idols from another party and the locals, and not just magically through the power of song and dance. Ok they do convert the corrupt politician, the guy whose company is dumping the trash, and their lackies from being corrupt a-holes with the power of song and dance but I actually thought that and the rest of the episode was delightfully ridiculous. Though much of the rest of the plot is standard idol show fare and the choreography of the performance scene is not impressive. There was a scene at the beginning that nicely highlighted the absurdity of the premise, where the main character is on the floor of the Diet debating which kind of onigiri filling is the best but it turns out to be just a dream that that she was having while they were studying up on the issues, which plays into the sentiment "This is why you don't elect idols. They'll just vote on frivolous shit" while contrasting with what they and real politicians actually do. I don't know how many people would change their mind after the second episode, but it seems to be the delightful absurdity that I expected it to be, so I'll be watching.

Oh and the head of the bad guys had a line I enjoyed. "So long as the foolish masses don't demand change, our regime is safe" Can't see that happening Smile
catsspat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
A great example of why no one should take a single-episode review all that seriously, unless said person has other knowledge about the show, such as the original manga/novel, and other insights.

If you could be reincarnated and retain the memory from your prior life, that alone can enable an interesting story. The circumstances surrounding the reincarnation (new body, new location, and the new situation) can also make a huge difference.

I just hope that single-episode reviews don't turn away people from watching what could be a great series.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
catsspat wrote:
I just hope that single-episode reviews don't turn away people from watching what could be a great series.

I would not give ANN's preview guide such relevance. Let's compare the numerical scores of Saga of Tanya the Evil with Re: Zero (crunchyroll most popular anime in the world for 2016):

Tanya
NC 1.5 RS 3 TM 4.5 BD 2 PJ 2.5 average 2.7

Re: zero
NC 1.5 RS 3 TM 3 LL 3 JC 1.5 average 2.4

If you take Zac's opinion as a zero (instead of ignoring it) then Tanya's average drops to 2.25. It is clear that in this world of social networks, ANN does not have the kind of weight to bomb a series into oblivion (or people are only reading Theron's and Rebeca's reviews, take your pick).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It is clear that in this world of social networks, ANN does not have the kind of weight to bomb a series into oblivion

The New York Times gave the first Michael Bay Transformers film a horrible review, and that didn't stop a ton of people from seeing it, but I bet there were a bunch of people who decided not to check it out because they read a negative review of it. That's all people are talking about here.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
It is clear that in this world of social networks, ANN does not have the kind of weight to bomb a series into oblivion

The New York Times gave the first Michael Bay Transformers film a horrible review, and that didn't stop a ton of people from seeing it, but I bet there were a bunch of people who decided not to check it out because they read a negative review of it. That's all people are talking about here.

Back in 2007 when the transformer live action movie premiered, Facebook had barely been a public accesilble site for a year; Twitter and Tumblr had barely taken off and whatsapp was yet to materialize. So if back then the NYT diminished movie tickets by any measurable percentage with their review, I think the same kind of movie review nowadays would have negligible impact.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
^The point is not to reduce tickets or views but rather signal to viewers who agree with the reviewer(s) that the show/movie will be good or bad to them, relieving them of having to see something to know whether or not they would like it. Perhaps they may have less of an effect but that's because they can get the same thing via social media or more generally online. I can't say I appreciate the somewhat sinister intonations you are putting on it, intentionally or otherwise.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
I don't need more videos about how SAO sucks as a game too.

Taking a salty potshot at Mother's Basement there I see. But that doesn't really matter, since clearly plenty of other people want it. Supply and demand. I think it's pretty fine, since while a lot of people criticize SAO's story and characters, not nearly enough have dissected it's awful understanding (or lack thereof) of MMORPG gaming.

I'm interested in checking out Scum's Wish, heard really great things, but thanks to lovely Amazon I have no legal means of doing so. With that and LWA, why are all the good shows this season not available on Crunchyroll? Such a pain.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
I'm not familiar enough with the source material to say definitively whether this episode begins the adaptation of one of the follow-up story paths of the original visual novel or whether this is a transitional episode which is just borrowing snippets from the good and bad endings for the various potential love interests in the story.

As you said, it's the latter. Kotarou just talks about the memories, so it was really great that they instead showed what happened. Especially for the memory of him marrying Michiko, the VN never showed who she was so that was a treat.

Quote:
That goes doubly because the episode also doesn't give any indication at all about where the story is going to go next. What will happen now that Kotarou has had his breakthrough?

That thing Kagari was working on, The Theory of Life. From the last episode of season 1, when the world ended it cut to The Theory. One of the lines kept going but then fizzled out, signalling the end of that timeline.

As someone once said, "Typical Key, making everyone play the Bad End to get to the True End."

I'm surprised you didn't notice how unnaturally large and close the moon is.

Quote:
Whichever is the case, the technical merits haven't improved one bit; this is still far from being one of the better-looking or better-animated series out there. But as episodes in this series go, I don't see this as one of the problematic ones.

Funny you mention that, since they hired a new Chief Animation Director for Season 2 along with Nonoka. The memory of Shizuru was evident of her work. Plus, Shizuru is her favorite character (she also animated her scenes in the first hour-long episode).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher Wrote:
Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't notice how unnaturally large and close the moon is.

I'm not following the Rewrite series. However, I would like to point out that the moon is abnormally large and close to earth in quite a few anime. Usually with no special significance. I've always assumed that this was just an anime convention, unless, of course, the moon is actually closer to Japan than it is to the rest of the world. In supernatural anime it is frequently blood red in color as well as being too large.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
As much as I'd like to watch Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, I don't think I have the ability to really appreciate the show.

Don't let that stop you. Smile Watch the first two episodes of the first season, read the review for them, then read the posts for the episodes (you can skip the bickering ones Wink). If you feel ready, move on to the next, rinse, repeat.

I'm clearly in the expected audience for Rakugo, and I have only managed to complete the first half of the first season so far. It's a bit too static and talky for me. On the other hand, I happily completed Fune wo Amu ("The Great Passage"). So, Herald, if you don't find Rakugo to your taste give Fune wo Amu a try, though if you're in the US, Amazon has made that hard to do legally.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
^Well more expensive at least. Though I can see it being hard to agree to do even though I Went through with it and found it was worth it for myself.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Going with that weird weird in the "Chain Chronicles" TV show, per its Wiki article, "haecceity" refers to what the aspects of what makes someone or something a specific individual. It is a term coined by those following the ideas of Catholic Scottish philosopher Duns Scotus (1266-11/3/1308).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think BanG Dream! is the last anime of the Winter 2017 season to debut - or at least, the last one on my list to sample. As always, just wanted to thank the ANN Previewers for all their work. There's a ton of material out there to cover and I always appreciate getting multiple viewpoints. See y'all in about 10 weeks, I guess!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
I like BanG Dream! as it seems to exploring a slightly different tack, one of serendipity, than the likes of K-On where that band came together over the course of... really?... two years.

Quote:
Sound familiar? Yeah, there's definite shades of K-ON! here, right down to the (thankfully milder) moe overtones of the character designs, though this one has a different feel; it's nowhere near as relaxed and casual so far.

Yui imagined herself being menaced by Kruzer from Detroit Metal City in the first episode of K-On. People only think K-On as casual as a means to dismiss it. I fell in love in the series with my first episode of season 2 episode 1 when Yui pulled out a Pete Townsend whirlwind guitar move and I wanted to know where that came from.

Quote:
I never made it more than a few episodes into K-ON!, for instance

Yes, Theron, I got that one. My own impression of K-On was it's a series made by someone who absolutely adores rock music, especially from the era of the British Invasion and it wears its comedy genre badge with pride as well. It's a wonderful series that will stand the test of time, moe belittling or not.

Bang Dreams! only has the serendipity thing going for it for now. But the whole "The girls aren't starting a band but rather just finding one that was waiting to exist" plot happens a lot more in Western culture than Eastern. Most anime shows want to focus on the hard work and years of practice that goes into this sort of thing rather than... the more realistic; Reality is funny that way... of talented people coming together at exactly the right moment in time who can strum a few cords and two years later they have a string of number one hits.

They made it look easy because for them, it was easy. K-On like the band they were based on, some chaps named the Beatles, opted for the hard work route.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
Quote:
I also think there's a fairly obvious choice for who should be Being X

So, you thinking Jeremy Schwartz?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 33