• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
Kuu, Haibane Renmei
vs.
Osono, Kiki’s Delivery Service

Sticking with Kuu for being the far more mature character with the more far reaching impact.

Group D-26
Tanda, Moribito – Guardian of the Spirit
vs.
Euphemia li Brittania, Code Geass

Tanda is a decent supporting character and an important one to boot, but he lacks the presence, color, and originality that would make him as memorable as other characters who have made it this far.

Euphemia is also a very important character that serves as catalyst and an inspiration and even far after the focus shifts off her character. Her ideals and what she stands for as long as her style of governing comes full circle and has an impact that extends nearly to the end of the series. Not bad at all for character who's really present in the first season. Also compared to Tanda, she has far more character, soul, and presence as a character. She's not at all boring or dull, which Tanda can unfortunately be like on occasion due to his very much submissive nature and role to the story.

Group D-27
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
vs.
Pedro, Excel Saga

Ami is a complex and multidimensional character that has a tremendous amount of development, so much in fact that I would definitely consider her a main among other characters of the main ensemble, such as Minorin. Pedro while admittingly more narrow is effective at what he does, and more importantly he is in fact a supporting character. I think one of the reasons why some people don't consider her a main is that she is one of the last characters added to the main ensemble. However, when we are disqualifying character like Aramaki is much more background, but clearly a part of the main group, Ami can't be here either.

Group D-28
Akio Furukawa, Clannad franchise
vs.
Gai Daigoji/Jiro Yamada, Martian Successor Nadesico

Strange to see Wakaba supporters be so critical of a character plays a very similar role, but in much more rawer, in your face, and less refined way. As others have said, Gai's strength lies in the fact that he has a tremendous amount of influence for having screen time in the first volume of the show. He serves as an inspiration, and a parody of pure hearted, but rather simpleminded and brash hero. And he he does a mighty good job at highlighting both the strengths and weakness of that character type in a parody like fashion.

Akio is a fun character, who's humorous and has Okazaki man up from time to time in his serious mode. However, compared to other supporting characters like Ushio he is much less effective at doing what moe does best, which is to illicit emotion and have a hard hitting and sometimes melodramatic impact that fans of the genre love. I also found his wannabe cool humor to be very hit or miss, and much less effective than some of the other comic relief efforts in the show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:

Sticking with Kuu for being the far more mature character with the more far reaching impact.

Not going to argue against your vote but I have to admit confusion at the half of your argument that Kuu is more mature than Osono. Are you confusing Osono with someone else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Strange to see Wakaba supporters be so critical of a character plays a very similar role, but in much more rawer, in your face, and less refined way.

That's because with Wakaba, her character strongly influences those who had known her after her swan song whereas with Gai, only Akito cared about and acknowledged him after his demise.

Quote:
As others have said, Gai's strength lies in the fact that he has a tremendous amount of influence for having screen time in the first volume of the show. He serves as an inspiration, and a parody of pure hearted, but rather simpleminded and brash hero. And he he does a mighty good job at highlighting both the strengths and weakness of that character type in a parody like fashion.

What kind of influence would that be? Only Akito was influenced by his over-the-top behavior and only the presence of another character later in the series led the Nadesico crew to become influenced to try out Gekigengar. The anime influenced the crew instead of the otaku.

Quote:
Akio is a fun character, who's humorous and has Okazaki man up from time to time in his serious mode. However, compared to other supporting characters like Ushio he is much less effective at doing what moe does best, which is to illicit emotion and have a hard hitting and sometimes melodramatic impact that fans of the genre love.

Also consider that Akio had more presence in his series and unlike Gai, had a positive influence on how he influenced Tomoya and Nagisa. Moe titles don't always have to illicit melodrama and emotional manipulation and as much as I hate Clannad, I do have to agree with Key that Akio's presence made the series more bearable to watch with the serious moments he displayed, even if his humorous side was hit-or-miss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
Kuu, Haibane Renmei
vs.

I really need to get around to seeing the latter, but even so I feel fully justified in voting for Kuu here. At first I didn't even like her so much as a character, but it can't be denied that her spoiler[day of flight] and the events that preceded it and followed were heavily impacted by Kuu's spoiler[departure]. I think this is similar to Wakaba for me in that the character spoiler[felt more important after she was no longer there].

Group D-26
vs.

Like all of the choices in this round, this one seems pretty clear cut to me.. Euphemia drove spoiler[Suzaku into exposing Lelouch and betraying his childhood friend, and basically gave Suzaku the constant motivation to continue and to act the way that he did for better or worse]. She was the key to pushing the plot, and her spoiler[defamation following the accidental geass was one of the most chilling and memorable scenes from any anime I've seen to date.] I felt a great deal of sympathy towards Suzaku after those events.

Group D-27
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
vs.
Pedro, Excel Saga

Ami is a steamroller and I hope she wins the tournament. Her impact on the series was very subtle and well crafted, and seeing her develop was one of the best parts of the series for me. One of the small but awesome scenes for me in the series is her reaction to Ryuuji where, from her haughty model persona where she decides she is mature and adult-like, he gives her some groceries and tells her she should eat properly, and that she was childish on the inside. Her realisation that Ryuuji saw right through her facade from day 1 and her gradual coming to like him was executed superbly and honestly I found her to be the most enigmatic character on screen in the series; whilst her role comparably isn't as major as say Minori, Taiga or Ryuuji, she definitely steals the limelight in my book. Her "playing house" talk with Ryuuji and the "Are your feelings of guilt gone now" comments reverberated through following episodes and her impact on the other characters and on the finished series as a whole is completely worthy of being crowned "Best Supporting".

Group D-28
vs.

Akio; I honestly don't know Gai at all but Akio managed to be a very good balance of comedic relief and at the same time maturity and strength. One of the most touching scenes in After Story for me, was after spoiler[Okazaki came back to take Ushio home, and Akio is sitting with Sanae on the porch. Akio tells Sanae that their burden has been lifted and that she can let it go now, and Sanae is finally able to grieve the loss of their daughter.] Even writing about that scene is bringing back that feeling... Like I was feeling their grief as well. Over the course of the series Akio was endearing enough that you came to like him, and developed subtly; to the point where you didn't even notice how important he was until a really climactic moment like that that kicks you right in the guts.

I think I will probably be hard pressed to change my votes of any character here, but next round will definitely be a more difficult choice for me.

EDIT: Kuu had a genderswap moment there for a second.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

I'd argue that the moment itself would be of limited importance if the character hadn't received some prior build-up or, moreover, if there was no long term impact (causal or thematic) as a result of what happened. There are far too many characters who always stayed in the background and didn't come out into the open to do anything remotely noteworthy until the very last minute, which provides little or no emotional investment for both the audience and the rest of the cast, but I believe that isn't the case here. Euphemia does belong to an existing character type but the specifics, in my opinion, can and do make a difference.

Well I don’t remember anything that Euphy does that stands out. Everything she does is pretty much what can be expected from a peace-loving and good-hearted princess, yes the SAZ was a bold move, but I remember that Lacus from Gundam Seed also does things that can be considered as bold, for example: When she helps Kira and her action amounts to betrayal, so I don’t see how Euphy is different from the rest of peace-loving princesses, trying to achieve something she believes in is what I expect from this type of character. The only thing that makes her memorable in comparison to the rest of peace-loving princesses is not her personality, but that she is used in an unexpected way at the end of the first season when the SAZ spectacularly goes down to hell and she sinks with her drowning ship.

Of course I understand why someone who hasn't seen Gundam Seed, Wing etc would not find Euphy’s personality boring and uninteresting.

And I agree with what Psycho 101 wrote in his post:
Quote:
I feel she's more supportive and drives the plot and character relations along situationally. Granted yes she does provide important points where she moves the plot along but I feel on her own she is not as full as a character as Tanda is. I think his impact is more based on his character and not on the situation like with Euphemia.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
I always seem to jump into these in the middle...but oh well, better late than never!

Group D-25: Osono
Osono always makes an impact on me when I watch Kiki. Even though she's got a pretty small role, she's a very sweet, memorable character, and I always look forward to seeing her when I watch the film. Admittedly I haven't finished Haibane Renmei yet and the arguments for Kuu seem very strong...but Osono really does stick in my mind every time I watch the movie, so I can't really bring myself to vote against her. (And I figure she's likely to lose anyway.)

Group D-26: Tanda
I haven't seen Moribito and I like Euphie a lot, but the argument and clip in the guide convinced me. Tanda really seemed to be a great supporting element to Balsa. The arguments for him here in the thread only confirm to me that he seems like the right choice.

Group D-27: Ami Kawashima
This is a TOUGH one--Pedro is one of my favorite characters in Excel Saga. But Ami has a greater impact on her series as a whole, and I love the character development she goes through during Toradora!, so she gets my vote.

Group D-28: Akio Furukawa
I was REALLY entertained by the clip for Akio, but since I hadn't seen either series I wanted to read the arguments--and the arguments against Gai are strong enough that Akio gets my vote. Plus, between the debate for Akio and the clip, I actually want to watch Clannad now, and that seems like a particular mark of a good character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

I don’t see how Euphy is different from the rest of peace-loving princesses, trying to achieve something she believes in is what I expect from this type of character.

Well, I could always go over all the details once again...but isn't what Tanda does something you'd also expect from his type of character though?

That argument can be easily turned around. What's more, like I said before, I'd still want to hear more about what makes Tanda stand out from other characters with a similar personality, role or character type. This remains quite relevant now that you've brought it up, curiously enough, in the opposite direction.

With the notable exception of Key's own write-up, many of the current arguments for Tanda in this thread have been rather vague and a little too general in my opinion. I also seem to recall that his personality has been criticized before and even a few of his supporters have admitted that he lacks "color" compared to others, so he's not entirely above being criticized for the same reason.

I didn't really want to dwell on what Psycho 101 wrote, given his own request, but I don't agree with that argument either.

In the case of Euphemia, I don't really think character type should be everything when, to say the least, context and impact also matters. The event that has been described as memorable had a profound long term impact both explicitly and implicitly, but it really wouldn't mean anything if the character hadn't been developed beforehand, even starting from an existing character type.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
It's actually a little difficult to put into words why I voted for Tanda. He however has a certain richness of character. It's like you can feel the character thinking beyond what is required for the plot. Euphemia seems to fit in her roll a little too well. While this does seem a little unfair as characters from shows with generally richer character development will be at an advantage. It really isn't a better character is a better character.

And spoiler[although her fall was well executed it often seemed as I was watching CG that she was being set up for it. She was too sweet, too determined. And too successfull. I was only half surprised at her death. But I was surprised at the manner of it.]

That's my case for voting Tanda anyway Smile
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
I’m just bored with peace-loving princesses, Sunrise use this type of character in every Gundam series, I’m tired of watching over and over again a peace-loving princess in almost every Gundam series. I admit it probably would be different if I were unfamiliar with Gundam series. I don’t deny that the event is memorable and has an impact. I just that Tanda maturity and in general personality mattered more than in Euphemia’s case, IMO.

Tanda stands out in this sense that he is a well-done and solid character, he has no flamboyant personality, so it would be very easy to make him totally bland and uninteresting, yet it is not the case and he menages to be memorable without being “colorful”. Unfortunately, I cannot go into details, as it is three years since I have seen Seirei no Moribito.

Besides, another reason why I vote for Tanda are the clips, I remember this scene with Tanda or rather I watched a bit and it was enough to jog my memory and I remembered what will happen next*, I even remembered that Tanda says something about becoming more knowledgeable in herbs and treating wounds because of Balsa, whereas in Euphie’s clip I forgot around 98% of what is shown in the clip. I consider this a good indicator of who is the more memorable character for me.

*I don’t read descriptions for clips unless I'm not familiar with the series the clip is taken from.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
...I'd still want to hear more about what makes Tanda stand out from other characters with a similar personality, role or character type.

I'm trying to think about what characters I'd compare to Tanda's personality and role. It almost feels like he should be a soft-spoken mentor, but compared to the heroine, he's too young for that. I think the closest comparison in the remaining characters in this tournament is Winry Rockbell: an emotional anchor for a childhood friend on a dangerous journey seeking redemption for past sins. He's more actively involved in Balsa's mission in Moribito than Winry was with the Elrics, though, even including Winry's expedition to Drachma in Brotherhood. Tanda wades shoulder deep into the mystery of the spirit possessing Prince Chagum, and takes the risk of delving into a not fully understood (parallel) world in an effort to find the truth.
Another point that may perhaps separate Tanda from other characters is that he kind of plays the role of Balsa's wife. Forgive me if that seems a little sexist, but given the slightly historical setting, it seems somewhat unusual that a male would patiently wait and play the domestic role: caring for the sick or injured partner, cooking, etc; while the female is off on the dangerous adventure.

Olliff wrote:
However, when we are disqualifying character like Aramaki is much more background, but clearly a part of the main group, Ami can't be here either.

Aramaki is hardly a more background character. Of the characters in GitS, the only ones with more presence are Motoko herself and maybe Batou. Besides which, there was virtually no complaint about Ami made during the nominations phase, compared to a significantly more widespread debate regarding Aramaki's position among the major players of GitS. I'm not saying this can't be a reason to vote against her, but it feels more like sour grapes from those who wanted to see Aramaki in this competition.

Let's go back to Key's criteria for nominations a second.
Quote:
2. Must not reasonably be considered one of the primary protagonists, primary antagonists, or a member of the primary duo or ensemble. (Examples of series which have an ensemble rather than a true lead include Tokyo Majin, Yokazura Quartet, Red Garden, and Baccano!) As a rule, being listed in the top character group in the cast listing on ANN's Encyclopedia page for the title is an indication that the character is a primary protagonist or primary duo/ensemble member.
2a. In cases where there is a primary ensemble but there is still technically one lead character (e.g. Sailor Moon), the ensemble takes precedence and eliminates all involved characters.

Regarding part 2, Ami is clearly not the primary protagonist or primary antagonist, nor is she of the primary duo. That leaves her potentially being a member of the primary ensemble, but in this context, it a primary ensemble requires that there is an equal focus among all members of the ensemble. Of Taiga, Ryuuji, Minori, Kitamura, and Ami; Taiga and Ryuuji are clearly the dominant figures, and so it's not the excluded type of ensemble.

Part 2a addresses situations like shonen adventure series and sentai shows where the leader is the main character but the ensemble is still a major focus. I suppose it could also be applied to slice-of-life shows like Hidamari Sketch where Yuno is the main character but Miya, Hiro, and Sae are almost as equally important, but again, there are two main characters in Toradora, so the situation still doesn't match the exclusions.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

I didn't really want to dwell on what Psycho 101 wrote, given his own request, but I don't agree with that argument either.

If you don't want to dwell on what I said given my request then why are you mentioning me/it at all? I don't appreciate people talking about me/what I said as if I'm not right here. I've made it pretty clear the past 2-3 tournaments that I don't not want to be drawn into these arguments nor have my posts used as ammo to make points against other people. I've been yelled at in the past tournaments for such things so I am trying to stay out of it.

In case I have not been clear enough about it then let me crystal clear now. Stop doing it. My reasoning and opinions behind my votes are there solely because they are required, and I prefer not to simply give some one sentence blip if at all possible. So I give as much reasoning behind my vote as possible and then that's the end of it. I do not want my posts used in these petitions to/for any particular match up. Period. I do not appreciate people mentioning them, or me, either in a sort of third person sense as if I am not in the room. So please stop. Have whatever opinions you want but leave me out of them. Argue and debate for whatever candidate you want but leave me out of it. Thank you.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It'll take me a while to answer, much less read, the previous posts...but I do want to get this out of the way.

Psycho 101 wrote:

If you don't want to dwell on what I said given my request then why are you mentioning me/it at all?

Let's not beat around the bush here: I believe it's clear that I was replying to Aylinn, who quoted you.

I don't mind taking a little heat here, but my reply wasn't really aimed at you/what you said outside of a casual mention of my disagreement. The vast majority of my post has absolutely nothing specifically aimed at anything you've said. I'm sorry if there was any misunderstanding, but my intention was merely to acknowledge it.

If someone else brings up your argument, just casually pointing out that I disagree shouldn't be an issue. However, I now understand that this probably shouldn't be done either, so I'll make no further reference to you or your posts regardless of what anyone else does first. I believe that's about as much as I can do.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Before I go on to my votes, I'd like to mention how disappointed I am that we are once again discussing the primary-character-or-not issue for characters who are in the tournament. Let me point out that by having passed the initial selection process, these characters have by definition been recognised as valid supporting characters. You are welcome to disagree, but further quibbling on this matter is not relevant to this thread.

It is generally Key's prerogative, this being his tournament to run, to decide what goes or does not go. Nevertheless, I'm going to put on my moderator hat here and say that I have had my fill of this pointless bickering, and I am going to be moderating posts from this point on, with those arguments treated as off-topic posts. I am not going to brook any discussion on this, and if you think my decision sucks, you can complain to the higher-ups, but that is my call, and I am going to enforce it. I trust that is entirely clear.

On to my votes:

Group D-25
Kuu, Haibane Renmei
vs.

This is a hard one... really, both characters are worthy to go on, being solid and estimable supporting characters of equal merit.

Kuu's influence on the story rests on her being a person who has completely come to terms with the climactic event of the haibane experience, the Day of Flight. There is a certain sense of anticlimax to Kuu's departure, because she seems so ready to go -- but it is precisely her clarity and ease that serve as an example to the others. She is a proof that there is nothing to fear or regret.

Osono is not a mother figure to Kiki, nor is she an older sister. She is an instant friend, a person who sees clearly the potential dwelling in Kiki, and cherishes it, without coddling her. Through the opportunities offered by Osono, Kiki manages to learn the important lesson that self-reliance doesn't mean that you can't rely on your friends.

It's a toss-up, and I'm tempted to pick the winner by a coin toss, because it's so extremely even. All the same, I feel that would be a cop-out in this case, so I'm going to go with Kuu, by a fraction of a smidgeon of an iota.

Group D-26
vs.

This one is a hard choice, too, but in the end, I believe Tanda does contribute more to the story of Moribito than Euphemia to CG, so I'm going to vote that way. Anyone who votes the other way has my enthusiastic support, since Euphemia is a fine supporting character, too (even though I don't care much for the anime itself).

Group D-27
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
vs.
Pedro, Excel Saga

At this point in the tournament, all the chaff have been winnowed out, and the participants are closer to each other in level. However, we've now gotten to the first instance of one character being clearly outmatched by another that we've seen in quite a while. There is little dobt that Ami dominates the supporting cast of Toradora!, in a way that Pedro does not, for Excel Saga. Pedro is a fun character, but he doesn't carry much more weight in the series than Ilpalazzo-sama does, whereas Ami completely outshines almost everyone else. Obviously, I think she deserves to go on.

Group D-28
vs.

Oh, my. Two comedic figures, steeped in macho self-importance and intense loyalty. Both equally hilarious, both equally touching. Akio's deep devotion to his family, overlaid with semi-ludicrous bravado, is a perfect match for Gai's pompous manliness covering his willingness to sacrifice himself for the good of the team. It's hard to imagine a more even match.

I really don't know which one to pick, so I'll just close my eyes and say Akio Furukawa.

- abunai
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
Kuu, Haibane Renmei
vs.

There is not much more I can say about Kuu. Her spoiler["Day of Flight"] essentially changed the tone of the series. It was lighthearted but progressively changed. It starts when there is mentioning of the Haibane's purpose.

Kuu's spoiler[departure from the series was a very emotional one]. Many of the main characters are brought to a grim realization that the same could happen to them one day. For her emotional pow, lasting impression on the main characters, and story progression, my vote goes to: Kuu.

Group D-26
vs.

I am going to give my wholehearted support for Euphemia li Brittania. Here are my supporting arguments.

"Euphie" has a tremendous influence on four characters, two supporting and two main. It is funny when you think about it, a supporting character supporting another supporting character, but I digress.

1. Nina Einstein

"Euphie" meant well when she stood up to defend Nina during a hostage situation in the first season. Somehow, Nina's admiration quickly turned to obsession and stalker-ish. Nevertheless, meeting the Princess face to face was a dream come true for Nina.

After an unfortunate accident, Nina becomes emotionally and mentally unstable. She attempts to create a bomb which will kill her killer (spoiler[Lelouch/Zero]) and her at the same time. Luckily, this did not happen as evidenced by her appearance in R2. She still harbors animosity towards Euphemia's killer and has successfully fully developed her mass destruction device code named F.L.E.I.J.A. in R2.

In the end, Nina strives to avenge Euphemia's killer though albeit a little misguided. She means well but eventually comes to her senses near the end of R2.

2. Cornelia li Brittania

"Euphie" shadowed her sister to see what Viceroys do on the political side. Euphemia was even appointed sub-Viceroy of Area 11. Despite her low position on the political ladder, she makes decisions that are not within her power such as appointing her own personal Knight and setting plans for the Special Administrative Zone of Japan. Despite all her, blood bonds are deep and strong as Cornelia supports "Euphie" through all this, with a feeling of uneasiness.

After her spoiler[death], Cornelia goes as far to leave the Brittanian military to clear the blemish that has been wrought on Euphemia's name.

3. Suzaku Kururugi

"Euphie" develops a relationship with Suzaku over their common views on achieving peace. She goes as far to appoint Suzaku as her personal Knight which draws negative attention to her and Suzaku. Nevertheless, the two fall in love. All is well until the unfortunate Special Administrative Zone of Japan incident.

Suzaku, like Nina, wishes to seek revenge for Euphemia. Before the huge climatic battle at the end of the first season, Suzaku calls Lelouch. spoiler[Unbeknownst to Suzaku, Lelouch killed Euphemia before she can cause any more damage. Before heading off to the final battle, Suzaku calls Lelouch for some last minute advice. He asks if Lelouch feels the same way he does pertaining to hating someone so much that you just want to kill them. Lelouch responds knowing that same feeling. Shortly after the call ends, the climatic season finale/big battle commences.]

4. Lelouch Lamperouge/spoiler[Lelouch vi Brittania]

Euphemia is the one opponent that Lelouch can not topple with brute force or his strategies and tactics. He sees her as a strong opponent and was willingly going to support her SAZ plan. Of course, the best laid plans can go awry. spoiler[After killing Euphemia to end her Geass influence, Lelouch sheds bitter tears for her as he gives the command which initiates the season finale]

Needless to say, it was hard for me to determine who among the two protagonists was influenced more by Euphemia but the evidence is there. To Suzaku, the two shared a common view and were implied lovers despite their ranking differences. To Lelouch, they are half-siblings yet Lelouch genuinely cared for Euphemia. He even said that Euphemia is the first woman he ever loved.

My vote goes to: Euphemia li Brittania.

Group D-27
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
vs.
Pedro, Excel Saga

I am not familiar with either characters and series but arguments seem to favor Ami for her depth and substance.

My vote goes to: Ami Kawashima.

Group D-28
vs.

I have the same situation where I am not familiar with either characters and series. Reading through the posts, I see much support for Akio.

My vote goes to: Akio Furukawa.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Group D-25
Kuu, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Seen both. Osono shows better support to the main character Kiki, but Kuu is a good friend to Rakka AND plays a major role in a significant aspect of the whole series. I think so far abunai has put it best in explaining why she is so important to the series' story.

Group D-26
vs.

Read all the arguments. Gonna have to stick with Tanda. He is a great supporting character, for without his help, the whole story might have fallen apart. Not gonna say much else. Don't want to incur anyone's Euphiemia wrath...

Group D-27
Ami Kawashima, Toradora!
vs.
Pedro, Excel Saga

I just started and finished watching all of Toradora! the other day and I must say, I thought Kushieda was by far the best supporting character, but oh well. Even so, Ami Kawashima still has the edge over Pedro.

Group D-28
vs.

I haven't seen Clannad, but I'm still voting for Akio Furukawa over Gai. He seems like an interesting enough character to move on. That is until next round...

Overall I think it's obvious that Group D is the weakest. I'm finding hard to really get excited over any of these matches.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 73