• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, SAO is horribly written.

No, bad writing would be if Sugou just showed up and grabbed Asuna by the arm and took her away with her putting up no resistance. There's no justifying her being taken that easily. However it's set up in such a way that her being captured was not the fault of any weakness on her part, as is her lack of action since she's in a situation where anyone, and not just her, would be unable to get out of.

Saving the girl is a simply plot line that's older than dirt, yeah, but simple and old =/= bad.

Sure it's no Shakespeare but the author was pretty young when he wrote it. It is competetant enough that it doesn't fall apart, at the very least.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
How come Medaka Box Abnormal wasn't on here. Its entertaining, has good visuals, and is well worth the watch. It should at the very least rank above Robotics;Notes, if not even higher.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
[Mod Edit: Removed. Don't post if all your going to post is "nuh uh, I'm always right", it does not contribute to the discussion in any way. - Keonyn]
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work. If Asuna was getting kidnapped every Tuesday like Princess Peach, then she'd have to turn in her badass card. But it's only happened this once, and she couldn't have done anything to prevent the kidnapping. And as far as I know it hasn't happened again in any of the novels.

So yeah, you're all over reacting.

You see, though, "damsel in distress" is most fitting for lighter works where deeper plot isn't really what you're looking for. However, the previous episodes of SAO seemed to hint that this was going to be more meaningful plot-wise, which makes the "damsel in distress" plot feel a bit lacking.

Maybe if the villain had a more interesting motivation and didn't just come off as a total slimeball, it'd be more compelling. And that's a big part of the problem. Yes, Asuna's being held against her will by a guy with admin powers named Sugou. But why did this Sugou character have to be as offensive as possible? I mean, yes, that gives Kirito more motivation to actually rescue Asuna. But for the viewers, who have to deal with his horrifically cringe-worthy villainy every time he appears, for many of us, it's just too much, especially in a series where such a cringe-inducing villain honestly feels out of place.

Bottom line is, I don't think anyone's overreacting. The show has flaws. For some, those flaws are not enough to make one dislike the show. For others, they're enough to drop the show. For me, they're enough to make me put it on hold for later (I like Suguha and Yui enough to make me want to watch it eventually for more of them, but just not right now), as well as probably keep the show from attaining anything higher than a 7/10.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Huh. We actually agree on something.

Had to happen eventually, I guess.

ikillchicken wrote:
-I've been debating whether to get into SAO for a while. I never got in on it originally but I have been tempted by, if nothing else, the sheer amount of debate it has stirred up. If after all though it just comes to a kinda cop out conclusion and them moves on to a totally different arc...eh, that sounds pretty lame so maybe I'll just leave it.

Are you insane? Don't start Sword Art Online, you'll regret it.

ikillchicken wrote:
-My Little Monster seems like the consensus sleeper hit for the season.

It's a bit quirky, but it mixes humour and seriousness well. It's more interesting than Suki-tte Ii na yo (also known as Say, "I Love You") which is very serious, and more watchable than Kamisama Hajimemashita which is a very typical Supernatural Romantic Comedy (think a Shoujo InuYasha but more laid back and with nicer leads).

Anyway, My Little Monster is a fun series, and even though it's Shoujo I'm definitely loving it.

ikillchicken wrote:
Code:Breaker - I'm apparently the only one who likes this show. Nothing terribly original but very well executed so far. Solid, interesting characters. Nice music, a good sense of humour and a well managed tone that lets it be both dark and funny.

Ugh, that girl is denser than dense and just spouts crap. I am perfectly okay with well-written characters who are staunchly pacifistic (like Vash from Trigun), but when they're badly written like she is they are just ultra-obnoxious. She's slowly getting a little better - she had some good scenes in episode five - but man if I don't just want to sock her.

The rest of the show is painfully, horrifically generic.

ikillchicken wrote:
Psycho Pass - Neat ideas lurking in the background but thus far pretty contrived execution makes it mediocre. Enough solid, good looking action to save it in the short term though.

This I agree with. I may have had high expectations because of Urobuchi, and the themes are really interesting, but he phones his dialogue and exposition in. Explaining to a top recruit how her gun works is an amazingly clunky piece of expository dialogue that rivals the infamous La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia. If I didn't already know that Urobuchi did PMMM I would have sworn that the two shows (PSYCHO-PASS and PMMM) were written by different guys.

ikillchicken wrote:
Robotics;Notes - I agree with Bamboo's assessment. If for some reason I was unable to continue watching this show I doubt I'd lose any sleep over it. Still, I've definitely found it moderately enjoyable. It's fun and has some nice moments in its own low-key way. I just hope we don't run into the weird time skips from episode 3 again.

Yeah, you're probably going to run into weird time skips again. I don't know that for a fact, but it looks like it will be an important plot point. After all, this show is connected to Steins;Gate, so don't be surprised if something interesting happens.

ikillchicken wrote:
From the New World - I'm still keeping up with this show because I feel like there are definitely some interesting ideas buried in here but thus far the writing has been pretty atrocious. They've done an awful job of structuring their apparent mysteries.

It's like two people are writing the show; one really good and the other atrocious. The premise is neat, the history and the mysteries are intriguing, the setting is captivating. But man does the execution suck. When half an episode is spent on nothing but non-stop exposition there is a critical problem with the writing.

ikillchicken wrote:
Magi - Tolerable enough and I suppose I even liked a few elements but I didn't find anything at all compelling about it. For the most part, I'm not seeing much here beyond a very forgettable action/adventure story. I never actually decided to drop it but I never got around to watching episode 3 which I think says something in itself.

I'm sad to hear this. But if the first two aren't doing it for you then episodes three and four are not a big enough change to be worthwhile watching.

I do think though that it isn't fair of you to accuse Magi of being "forgettable" even though (to me) Code:Breaker is even worse.

ikillchicken wrote:
K - Dropped. This is the most absurd load of nonsense I've seen in ages. I don't even know if they're being serious or trying to be tongue in cheek. It is actually sort of fun at times and has a nice energy to its more actiony bits but nothing to make it worth slogging through the other parts were it lapses into boring slice of life or worse, cat girl antics.

Good. It was absolutely not worth your time. The only reason to watch it is to make fun of it, and to marvel at how much money can be poured into such a god-awful story and characters.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
I am so glad that as soon as the SAO arc was done I said "I'm just going to end my experience with the show there" the law of diminishing returns proved to high on this series without a question best to stop while ahead. especially after hearing now that it has taken a huge downturn.

My Little Monster: I am so in love with this series. I normally like good shojo but this series is like a good mix of kare kano (his her circumstances) and kodomo no omocha/ kodocha. the fast pace is refreshing and wonderful, and the characters are good and really funny.

K Guilty Crown for girls enough said. though it is not as bad in terms of it's writing I am holding off on this show until it proves it is actually completely well written unlike episode 2.

HxH- Still amazing and a heck of a thrill ride.

Say I love you- not impressed with the first episode actually and it's because of the characters I am sure of it, they need to be somewhat unique to make me care I think. still haven't seen anymore of it yet.

Blast of Tempst- I am actually a bit put off by the character designs though it is defiantly a good show, something is off to me about it though and I can't figure out what, other then that it is bones animating one of their shows.

Space Brothers- yes it's good I still like muta and the other characters it's still different and interesting. though it is still a bit to slow and at times "meh so what"

From the New World- I showed the first 5 episodes of it to my no subtitle adverse roommate before I went home for break, and then called him recently and he asked me if the 6th episode had come out yet while we were talking about something else, to which I had to promise him that we would watch 6 and 7 as soon as they came out. my roommate in question is by no means an anime fan and he loves the show. so needless to say it's good. and episode 4 my mouth was open the whole time. though it is going a bit to fast.

Ixon Saga only seen episode 1 it was hilarious and I will watch more of it.

Kami-Sama Kiss- rather funny at times, but I am not sure how it will hold up may wait for dub.

MAGI- I loved episodes 2 and 3 I thought they were amazing. I didn't care for episode 1 that much but I thought 2 and 3 were amazing and pretty much pitch perfect

psycho pass- Interesting I think it will be very good, it seems to be laying down a strong foundation

btoom- will check out more of since it was on stream test and now got into top 5

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!- I watched two episodes and I can't help but feeling I am laughing at these people instead of at jokes. so this is dropped also I watched all of hyouka I really don't feel like watching another kyon ayi show.

Little animation I mean busters - I can't help negatively comparing it to clannad (in terms of story mainly not production) maybe it's because I can't see myself bailing my eyes out to this but I am having a hard time believing this is supposed to be keys best work. let alone one of the best visual novels. it's a fairly good to ok show but I am not seeing it 4 episodes in (though I thought episodes 2-4 of clannad was poor as well so).

jojo It was ok until I found out why bizarre was in the title, and then I started to dislike it

medeka box is back to being dropped yet again. occasionally
interesting but I still don't N whatever adaptations that much.

Hayate- WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS SERIES! I really liked the first season (which I am still watching) but I only made it halfway through episode 2 this show is pretty bad when you remove almost all the parody from it no wonder it and medeka box are not being covered this season just like flowers of rin-ne a while back

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention it before, but I noticed in Bamboo's review of Blast of Tempest she said "Tree of Beginnings" and "Tree of Zetsuen," which is actually not how they are referred to in the crunchyroll subtitles. But I'm bringing this up mostly because I find the various ways the trees have been translated interesting.

I've seen three different ways to refer to the trees. The first way was the "Tree of Beginnings" and "Tree of Zetsuen" (with a note explaining that zetsuen means "exceeding garden"). The second was the "Tree of Origins" and "Tree of World's End." And finally, the way crunchyroll refers to them is the "Tree of Genesis" and "Tree of Exodus."

While Beginnings/Origins/Genesis are all very similar, Exceeding Garden/World's End/Exodus are not. I don't know enough about Japanese kanji to know why the translations vary so much, but I suspect that "Exodus" is nowhere near a direct literal translation, and was chosen to create a biblical theme alongside Genesis. The question is, why?

I'm not sure why they'd go with a biblical theme, but even if they wanted to, wouldn't Revelation be a better term than Genesis? Afterall, Revelation is in some ways the opposite and counterpart to Genesis. Genesis is the first book of the Bible, Revelation is the last. Genesis describes the creation of the world, Revelation the end of the world. So if you wanted names for a creator tree and a destroyer tree, Genesis/Revelation would seem to fit the best.

But Exodus was chosen, and I wonder why. I am probably WAAAAY over analyzing this, but I thought some might find it interesting to point out.

I didn't realize it at first, but I see Medaka Box: Abnormal isn't on here. I know Bamboo wasn't a big fan of the first season, but she did manage to finish it. I'm curious Bamboo, have you seen any of the second season yet, and if so, what do you think of the show now that it's had some time to settle into it's genre change?

Also, I notice that Aoi Sekai no Chushin de and Ebiten, both crunchyroll shows, are also missing, though if I recall they both were late announcements, and for some reason only a single episode of Aoi Sekai no Chushin de has been streamed so far. I haven't seen either myself, so I'll ask the talkback thread: how are the shows? Is it worth Bamboo's time to add those alongside the TAN shows next time, or should she not even bother?

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Saving the girl is a simply plot line that's older than dirt, yeah, but simple and old =/= bad.

I agree that "simple and old" isn't necessarily "bad". However, "simple and old" is not Sword Art Online. Maybe if, from the start, SAO was going to be all "We're going to take the whole 'trapped in an MMO' plot and go completely old-school with it!", then... well, among other things, it would be called Ixion Saga DT. But since SAO started out passing itself off as an edgy and introspective look at the social implications of being trapped in an MMO, the fact that it is resorting to something so "simple and old" is disappointing in ways.

Quote:
Sure it's no Shakespeare but the author was pretty young when he wrote it.

Age of an author should never be an excuse for bad writing. Maybe an explanation, but never an excuse.

Maybe all those folks who got into Eragon back in the day disagree with me, but I do not sign up for a show expecting "writing that is good for a 15-year-old". I sign up for a show expecting writing that is good, period.

(Alternatively, I avoid expectations for good writing entirely. Not that that helped any in keeping OniAi, my expected guilty pleasure of the season, from being dropped due to getting boring. I suppose, odd as it may sound, K currently fills that role of "guilty pleasure with no expectations for good writing" at the moment.)
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's pretty much what it is. Your point? What do you expect Asuna to do about it? She's comatose in the real world and Sugou is holding her with his Admin powers in the game. Even if she escaped where would she go? He has total control over the system and could find her easily. While she's not exactly sitting around doing nothing anything she could do won't do her much good. She kinda doesn't have a choice outside of hoping Kirito will come for her.

Why do people act as though the author has no control over the story, like Reki Kawahara didn't decide to write the story in a way that made Asuna into a helpless girl waiting her man to rescue her from Evil Rapey Guy?

Quote:
The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work.

I'm sorry, who made that decision? The damsel in distress trope is bad because it reinforces millennia old misogynistic notions by reducing female characters to objects to be fought over by men.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! and Girls und Panzer

Girls und Panzer is my favourite along with Shinsekai Yori, but there's no way I'd call it the best.
Chu2Koi is just terrible. I guess you give it points for sincerity, but Florence Foster Jenkins believed in what she was doing, too.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
...and for some reason only a single episode of Aoi Sekai no Chushin de has been streamed so far.

That's because it is only 3 episodes long, and the next two episodes won't air until some time next year.
Durga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Not surprised to see SAO take a huge nosedive in the rankings. Once I knew where it was going, I dropped it. It was losing my interest before the arc transition anyway.

I haven't gotten around to watching the Funimation simulcasts just yet (Psycho Pass, Kamisama Kiss, Robotics Notes), but when I find time I might catch up on them. Here's what I have been watching.

Sticking with:
My Little Monster - One of the more engaging teenage romances I've seen in awhile. It's pretty funny, but it's the characters and awkward romance that's keeping my attention. This anime surprised me the most with how good it is, as I wasn't initially expecting much from it.

Space Brothers - Still love the characters, still love how it keeps me engaged despite the long run of the show. The slow pacing doesn't bother me.

From The New World - The huge info dump did bug me, but it served a purpose beyond just informing the audience. I do think it could have been handled better, but otherwise I'm liking the show, even the mutant rats.

Magi - Nothing super special about the show, but it's fun. I like the designs and Aladdin is adorable. Feels like it could easily be a dungeon crawler RPG with all of the importance on dungeons. I'd play a Magi dungeon crawler.

Ixion Saga DT - This feels like a guilty pleasure anime for me. The jokes aren't particularly witty, and there are only so many times you can make balls jokes (Fullmetal Ballchesmist?), but it's the silly tone of the series that saves it. It's constant knocks at RPGs and cliches are fun, if enjoyably stupid. Characters aren't all that special, but I give the show props for having an actual transgender character and not just a crossdresser.

Temporarily dropped:
Blast of Tempest: Just wasn't grabbing me. The animation is lovely, but it seemed like too much was going on for the show's own good and that it might collapse on itself. Will wait until it's over and gets more reviews before watching more.

I tried out BTOOOM and Pet Girl, dropped both of them after the first episode. Pet Girl I knew I was I was going to hate and checked out for curiosity's sake. I wanted to slap the protagonist of BTOOOM for being an idiot and an asshole, and looking ahead I knew the show wasn't for me. It has a nice OP, I guess.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
...and for some reason only a single episode of Aoi Sekai no Chushin de has been streamed so far.

That's because it is only 3 episodes long, and the next two episodes won't air until some time next year.

Ah, I see, thanks for the info. Well, I don't think they would really be much of a point in Bamboo covering that show at least.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Ah, I see, thanks for the info. Well, I don't think they would really be much of a point in Bamboo covering that show at least.

I saw that with a friend a while ago when I didn't realize it was hentai that show has an interesting concept but man is it horrible. and the ero elements are really awkward and just thrown in there.

also I think I can guess why they chose Exodus for the one tree name, setting aside the why biblical question,

you see genesis not only has the creation story but also adam and eve getting kicked out of Eden and eventually the set up to the kingdom of Israeli. then you have exodus which is story of Moses helping to release his people from Egypt and then take them to the promised land of Israeli. at least that is the way I remember it.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work. If Asuna was getting kidnapped every Tuesday like Princess Peach, then she'd have to turn in her badass card. But it's only happened this once, and she couldn't have done anything to prevent the kidnapping. And as far as I know it hasn't happened again in any of the novels.

So yeah, you're all over reacting.

Quote:
and which shows may those be that people not watching them is so tragic? :O

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! and Girls und Panzer

I agree with the first show but GUP is just plain a** boring to sit through. At least add some shock value like they did with strike witches or Upotte! to keep me watching.

... I don't have much to add since I'm not watching hardly anything anymore, I'll just leave it at that.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
That's pretty much what it is. Your point? What do you expect Asuna to do about it? She's comatose in the real world and Sugou is holding her with his Admin powers in the game. Even if she escaped where would she go? He has total control over the system and could find her easily. While she's not exactly sitting around doing nothing anything she could do won't do her much good. She kinda doesn't have a choice outside of hoping Kirito will come for her.

Why do people act as though the author has no control over the story, like Reki Kawahara didn't decide to write the story in a way that made Asuna into a helpless girl waiting her man to rescue her from Evil Rapey Guy?

Quote:
The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work.

I'm sorry, who made that decision? The damsel in distress trope is bad because it reinforces millennia old misogynistic notions by reducing female characters to objects to be fought over by men.

There goes people throwing around big words again, because they think it makes them look smart. I don't find anything wrong wit the cliche personally, some guys really do think this way and can not help themselves from doing so. I was raised to always help out/protect women in need but i'm old fashioned so meh.

Also don't put words in my mouth if choose you quote me. I know plenty of woman that kick my a** as well If i pi** them off. They don't seem to fit the damsel trope at all which is fine with me as well , I find stronger woman sexy.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15