• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Well, not the last seven years. But they still haven't had any huge blockbusters as of late, other than The Smurfs stuff. Well, MIB 3, too, and that's about it.

yuna: Skyfall is technically MGM's. That last Spider-Man movie did ok, too, but it still made less than Raimi's part 3.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
(Sour grapes and obtuse rambling).

Your post made no sense at all. Sqaure's main IPs were exclusive to Sony platforms for years. It is no longer financially feasible to support Playstation,

Every major multiplatform game Square Enix has released over the past decade has sold significantly more on Playstation consoles than any other platform. Even taking in Eidos produced titles, where the reboot of Tomb Raider seemingly sold best on PS3 despite SE having an exclusive marketing deal with Microsoft for that specific title.

Actually, I don't even know why I'm addressing you here... you're clearly taking the piss as I don't believe anyone could seriously be this wilfully ignorant/detached from reality.

AiddonValentine wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Skyfall and The Amazing Spiderman, both from 2012, together earned over $500 million at the box office in the US alone.

Skyfall earned about $800 million from international box office receipts, and another $100 million or so in disc sales.

But I guess that's not enough to constitute a "hit" in some peoples' minds.

I detect a hint of generic Sony hatred in some of these posts.

And I want you to think about this for a second:

That still wasn't enough. That wasn't even CLOSE to evening Sony out. Despite earning that much, it's still not stabilizing the company at all. That is literally how bad their debts have been.

Completely beside the point what relevance those films earned in relation to how much debt Sony are/were in at the time. The initial claim was that the studio had not produced a single 'hit' in some time... this has been proven completely wrong.

Stop trying to move the goalposts.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:

Completely beside the point what relevance those films earned in relation to how much debt Sony are/were in at the time. The initial claim was that the studio had not produced a single 'hit' in some time... this has been proven completely wrong.

Stop trying to move the goalposts.

Except I never said anything like that. Someone else did. I didn't move any goalposts. I'm fully aware of Sony making a few hits before we had someone claiming they didn't (and they're wrong). Still, doesn't exactly change the truth that it isn't enough for Sony and in fact paints an even worse picture for them. It means that despite some of their films making hundreds of millions, they're still having to lay people off and sell divisions in order to make the black.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh shi- I'mma get in on this.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
HOO BOY, was Zac spot-on about those anti-*Company* fanboys coming out of the woodwork or WHAT?

Everyone else has already countered with the facts, so all I'll say is this: all I BUY is Sony. TV: Sony Bravia, 2011, GREAT TV. Mom's laptop: Got her a VAIO, very nice, until she ruined it and the keyboard doesn't work anymore. -__- Blu-ray player: Sony. Fantastic player.

Console...wait...why don't you take a guess? In fact, guess whose consoles I've bought consistently for the past 11 years (when I do play consoles rather than PC, BTW).

This year I plan on getting a Nintendo 3DS. This will be the first time in 15 YEARS that I have bought a Nintendo console, or a console other than Sony's, or a handheld other than Sony's.

Point is, Sony consistently churns out quality products, people including me will buy from them as long as they do so.

ESPECIALLY the Japanese.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sony never seems to have products at competing prices so it's not hard to see why it's doing badly. The Japanese's marketing skills are falling behind times. Honda is another good example. You can see dozens of cars from other makers here, like Vauxhall, Ford, or BMW for each Honda. And this is the city where Honda manufactures for Europe. Times are tough and if they can't adapt they surely go down.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I read about this, I don't know what to say to be honest since stock market ain't my expertise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
This thread reaffirms my old observation that internet forum opinion pieces from armchair experts are some of the most entertaining reading available. Hysterics and incoherent rage tend to be the high points.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
This thread reaffirms my old observation that internet forum opinion pieces from armchair experts are some of the most entertaining reading available. Hysterics and incoherent rage tend to be the high points.

Parading over a paradox you have clearly not solved yourself doesn't make you look any less of a fool.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Y'all are just stupid and ignorant. This is clearly a sign that Sony is desperate for capitol so they can finally do what they've obviously been trying to do for years: Entice a buy out from Coleco. It's all but guaranteed now. Expect to see the Coleco Telestar Plus in stores by next Christmas. It will be a Next-Next-Gen game console/tablet/waffle iron. At which point, all PS4s, even those already sold, will be gathered up and thrown into the sea. Really, it could not be more [expletive] obvious if you know anything about the games industry and aren't just a stupid fanboy with an agenda. Rolling Eyes
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've lost all hope in SE over the years, just push ff15 out and happily go bankrupt if it bombs Crying or Very sad
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can think an entire company is going under when they have the highest selling console on the market.

It literally boggles my mind.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Expect to see the Coleco Telestar Plus in stores by next Christmas. It will be a Next-Next-Gen game console/tablet/waffle iron.

So it plays games, is portable, hd, AND makes food? I'd buy that. Oh, and i like the name telestar.i really do.
Btw what square enix pc games are people talking about? If only really seen ports of console games. Portable, on the other hand i've seen a lot.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can think an entire company is going under when they have the highest selling console on the market.

Really this boggles your mind that much?? I've dealt with the gaming community way before becoming a part of the anime community online. It's nothing new, every time a bit a bad news comes out the community sees the worst case scenario happening.

Now if you want my opinion Sony is going to fine, square enix will continue to make games for the sony platforms and other devices as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Really this boggles your mind that much?? I've dealt with the gaming community way before becoming a part of the anime community online. It's nothing new, every time a bit a bad news comes out the community sees the worst case scenario happening.

Now if you want my opinion Sony is going to fine, square enix will continue to make games for the sony platforms and other devices as well.
Nice to see a post that makes sense Very Happy and yea the gaming community is a dumb place :lol:not all of them but the fan boys who fight over stuff Rolling Eyes they drag stuff down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6