• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

Hmmm, if my ears don't deceive me (but they might), that's Hiroyuki Yoshino voicing Dagger's imprisoned songwriter. Which would indicate a connection between him and Strawberry Heart. Maybe he goes missing when he has to be interacting with Dagger?

It's pretty obvious at this point that Strawberry Heart is King. I feel like perhaps King actually doesn't want Dagger to succeed, therefore he's contacting Cyan through the guitar to give her tips behind Dagger's back. But he hasn't been able to lately since Dagger's been contacting him more often.

Of course, that's just speculation. There's no way of knowing yet, seeing as anime and game canon are different. Strawberry Heart is just a normal guitar in the game, and Dagger and King don't exist. So not even those of us who play the game know where this is going. Well, we know what the upcoming Chuchu drama is to an extent, but that's about it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
So the game actually has a story? Since I couldn't care less about spoilers, I think I'll read up on it.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
So the game actually has a story? Since I couldn't care less about spoilers, I think I'll read up on it.

Yeah, the main game mode, Tour, is the story mode. After you beat the boss in each area of Tour you unlock an episode (episodes are just text and images) about the band you just played as in the boss battle. I'm not sure much about the specifics as I can't read Japanese, I only know very basic stuff about it from reading what people who know a little bit of Japanese have said.

There is someone currently working on translating the in game episodes though, but so far they've only done the first three Trichronika episodes. I could PM you the link if you want.

Not really much in terms of spoilers though since the two canon are so drastically different.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
That`s all they`ve gotten to on the translations? My tablet messed up so I`ll need to replace it but maybe I should help out on the translations. Wasn`t putting too much effort into it since I thought it was being handled.

Bands like Criticrista are much better if you know them from the game since the bands act very similar and a lot of dialogue is the same. In fact the forest training scene with salaryman Rom is actually a card in the game.

I didn`t think Dagger`s head looked like a spade. I really have no idea what he`s supposed to be outside of a mass of dark energy. Surprised he let Ogasawara live. Hopefully Criticrista will become Despair Witch.

Pretty sure they won`t get one, but another season would be great if they could plan a good variety of songs. Even if using the songs from the game. It really hurt the double performance that Criticrista was just a reused shot. Need to show my support because Sanrio is big enough to seize upon this if it works out ok. Also, another season would be free to be about the bands if Dagger is wrapped up and the dark monsters are dealt with.

Most likely not happening, but I really enjoy the feel of the property.

Also, JaggedAuthor, it`s not so much a storyline as it is scenes with the bands. Most of the dialogue is about before and after performing. And, in general most of the stories are things about each member. It`s a rhythm game so there isn`t really that much need of an overall plot. During the events they have characters from different bands interact, but really it`s just something to help flesh out the members of the different bands like the flavor text on the cards.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
That`s all they`ve gotten to on the translations? My tablet messed up so I`ll need to replace it but maybe I should help out on the translations. Wasn`t putting too much effort into it since I thought it was being handled.

It's a recent thing that's been going on, I think they started a week or so ago. It's only one person doing all the translating, so it will take some time. Other people are helping out by emailing screenshots of the episodes, I've emailed the first two Rapezziauto episodes myself.

Nyaomix wrote:
In fact the forest training scene with salaryman Rom is actually a card in the game.

That's because that card is directly based on the scene in the anime. In Japan during the airing of each new episode a code is released to get a new card based around the episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
It's a shame I'm not big on smart phone games. If they released a port for the Vita or 3DS, I'd be all over it.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It's a shame I'm not big on smart phone games. If they released a port for the Vita or 3DS, I'd be all over it.

I'm normally not either, but I really enjoy SB69. The gameplay with tapping is fun and adds to the challenge, especially during high speed challenge events since you need a good reflex to hit the notes in time. The game gets incredibly hard on 7 and 8 star difficulty. The difficulty goes up at a pretty steady rate too. SB69 is really the only mobile game I play.

This is how ridiculously hard it can get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1LXGGQ-DYs

Its gameplay really wouldn't work on something like the 3DS, since you can only have it recognize you tapping one spot at a time.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Another big thing that makes it nice is that it`s very easy to progress in the game. In game money is easy to obtain and is useful for upgrading bands. The only real money thing is collecting the cards which you can amasss a good amount of that currency in the game. It`s a well modeled free to play for the fun value. Sadly where i am now the connection is not the best so I have some response issues but only slight ones. Couldn`t manage a 7.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Another big thing that makes it nice is that it`s very easy to progress in the game. In game money is easy to obtain and is useful for upgrading bands. The only real money thing is collecting the cards which you can amasss a good amount of that currency in the game. It`s a well modeled free to play for the fun value. Sadly where i am now the connection is not the best so I have some response issues but only slight ones. Couldn`t manage a 7.

I can barely do 7 stars and I've been playing for four months. Of course, that may just be because I don't have much experience in rhythm games. I'm getting better at 7 stars though.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode #10:

This episode really showcased Takanashi Yasuharu's style of music; it quite similar to his dramatic tones in Naruto Shippūden and Fairy Tail, but it still delivers.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
"Episode 10 showcases another example of the series cramming too much plot into just over 20 minutes."

Agreed. The majority of us game fans aren't very happy with it either. This series really needs to be longer to give everybody the proper amount of time to develop. The game has no problem doing it due to its format, but when you have an anime series with only 12 episodes and 5 important bands, it's hard to do.

It should be double the length IMO. Also if it was, they'd be able to have more bands appear too. Fans of bands who aren't the main 5 in the anime (and keep in mind the game has 20 bands, and focuses on all them equally) have less to look forward to than those whose favorite band is one of the main 5. The majority don't appear at all (picture/logo cameos don't count, every band got one of those).

Honestly, I'm amazed they waited this long to reveal Chuchu wanting to be solo in the anime. Us game fans were waiting, and from what I've seen, most of us (myself included) are disappointed that is was wrapped up so damn fast.

But I digress. The entire time I was wondering when we'd find out about what exactly happened to Criticrista, but nope. Nothing on that, even though the ending of last week's episode made it seem like we'd find out here. Hopefully we'll find out in next week's, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

"Since Chuchu was rarely portrayed as an overly-ambitious character prone to fits of jealously, the episode only works if viewers are willing to ignore her previously established personality."

Not really, no. Chuchu is good at hiding her intentions, this applies to the game too, she is very much in character in this anime, they get her down pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0StqnYO8Qw

"Practice hard, and be the springboard for my solo career, huhuhuhwahahaha" ~Chuchu 2013

Last edited by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the same fashion as a Sailor Moon victim-of-the-week, Chuchu's insecurities, jealousy, and darkest desires make her a target for Dagger, who plays on her wish for stardom by inviting her to join his record label alone.

Hahaha! Sailor Moon is the first thing that crossed my mind when Dagger set his sights on Chuchu.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
not a game player there so:

Quote:
Since Chuchu was rarely portrayed as an overly-ambitious character prone to fits of jealously, the episode only works if viewers are willing to ignore her previously established personality.

we got a scene on a previous episode when they revealed that the plasmagica characters all had secrets, 3 of them already came out with confession so having chuchu turn dark because of her secret works, tho I agree that it could have been directed better, but plot wise it was solid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
Was that elevator ride a sort of shout-out to Utena? Smile

I think I fall on the side of not enough foreshadowing with Chuchu. If you don't play the game, just mentioning once that she's ambitious doesn't tell us she's secretly as ruthlessly ambitious as she was in this episode. As the girls pointed out, being ambitious isn't a bad thing, it's what you do in service to it that can be bad, and we've never seen her behavior suggest anything like this before, so for me it came off as really manufactured dramerz.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was that elevator ride a sort of shout-out to Utena? Smile

Since the character's name IS Chuchu, this would work on two levels...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7