• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Also, watch OVA 2 after this episode. It provides a more conclusive and humourous finale to the Bishamon arc, where Yato and Bishamon make a sort-of peace with each other.

Was already planning to do that this weekend, actually. Wink

I find myself in total agreement with Hope Gabriella about both the strengths and the flaws of both this particular episode and the season to date. Most of the sequel series that I have seen so far this year have been minor or major disappointments, but this one is easily the best of that lot.

Last edited by Key on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
zztop wrote:
Also, watch OVA 2

Was already planning to do that this weekend, actually.

I don't suppose there is any legal streaming (or even media) source for the OVAs that you guys would care to name. The encyc doesn't give me anything.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I find myself in total agreement with Hope about both the strengths and the flaws of both this particular episode and the season to date.

Gabriella Ekens is reviewing this series, not me. ^^;
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
First: New cast announcements for the Ebisu (Yomi/Underworld) arc - animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-06/noragami-aragoto-anime-reveals-more-cast-for-yomi-arc/.95078

Don't think I'm familiar with any of Fujisaki's VA's work, but still, I'm quite excited to hear what they make of the character. On the flip side, I'm actually giddy to hear/watch Ebisu in action Very Happy

(Not looking forward to what they make of the underworld though, lot of squick warnings there...)

-------------

Quote:
As it stands, we were pretty much never allowed to know Kugaha as a benevolent figure, so his betrayal doesn't mean anything to us. If anything, Bishamon and friends look a little dumb for trusting this obvious sleazebag.

I agree that Yato stomps all over the "show, don't tell" rule of narrative, but disagree on Kugaha's portrayal. This show in general, and this season in particular, has loads of examples of how the god-shinki relationship is almost ESP-level empathy, with the added dose of eternal gratitude on the shinki's side for getting an afterlife.

Yato feels Yukine's ups & downs almost before Yukine's acknowledged them, and it's a similar situation with Daikoku/Kofuku and even Tenjin & his harem. The fact that Kugaha is able to do his mustache-twirling bit is a big neon sign to the audience that things in Bishamon's "big, happy family" are *totally* messed-up. And like any dysfunctional relationship/family, there is bound to be abuse on both/all sides - it's totally fair to read Kugaha as an abused child lashing out. (though Yato's line was gold Smile

(Don't count Kugaha out either - his name was revoked, and he was exiled, but he's not *dead* yet, or at least no more than any other shinki.)

Quote:
It also looks like our heroes will have some time to decompress after all this sound and fury. I'm excited for that – after all this, give me some goofy Yato antics please. You have to make me laugh before I can cry again. My tear ducts are exhausted.

Quote:
Nora calls her boss “father,” so it looks like we're about to get Freudian up in here.

Haha, :sigh:... You have no idea how crazy this series can get. Looks like the anime is beefing up the action & comedy, but for a long while in the manga (not just these arcs), the pattern was, half-chapter of comedy antics, alternated with 1.5-2 chapters of pure emotional trauma punctuated by a punch right in the feels. Got so bad I dreaded a comedy scene because I *knew* we'd be paying for it later.

I think the one with spoiler[Kofuku & Daikoku's "kid"] is the one that haunts me the most, but that's "adult fears" for you.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
A bit of a nitpick, but: Bishamon didn't just exile Kugaha. After all, "all" she did to Kazuma was exile him earlier. No, she *dismissed* Kugaha from her service. Kazuma was, technically, still one of Bishamon's Regalia even when he was forbidden from entering her domain; Kugaha is no longer Bishamon's Regalia at all. I believe that makes him a nora.

I thought it was interesting that Yato stated that gods can't make mistakes -- I think he said "gods are never wrong", or something like that. I think this was probably a translation error. My guess is that Yato was trying to say that gods can't commit sins; you can translate "error" for "sin", but their meanings are subtly different from one another.

To put it simply, an "error" just means you made a mistake, like adding numbers and getting the sum wrong. Sin, however, involves moral choices being made by an agent possessing free will. So it's not that Bishamon was unable to make some sort of error in judgement. What I think Yato was saying is that gods are incapable of committing moral wrongs, which is basically what Kugaha was implying Bishamon had done, and why she need to be reborn.

Kugaha was a human, so apparently he didn't realize that gods simply are incapable of doing what he believed Bishamon had done (taking in all of those "useless" shinki), and him not realizing this undermined his entire justification for his actions. However, as Bishamon said, Kugaha *did* believe that he was doing the right thing, but that doesn't mean that he was *actually* doing the right thing. This is ultimately demonstrated by Bishamon releasing him from her service. And, of course, that meant he no longer had any business in Bishamon's domain and so was forcefully ejected from it.

I'm glad that it seems that a past wrong (Bishamon blaming Yato for what happened to the -ma clan) has been cleared up. I also liked that Hiyori calmed Yato and helped him see that his business there was over, leaving the rest to Bishamon, as was proper. Hiyori is totally the anti-Nora when it comes to Yato. Razz

I was also glad to see Bishamon finally happy. Before, there was also a sense that something was eating at her under the surface (for reasons we all know now), but they did a pretty good job of presenting her as someone who has exonerated those feelings and is finally her proper self. I think that, moving forward, she and her regalia should be able to grow in better, warmer way -- one that won't again lead to what happened in the past.

This was a very good and cathartic episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
They never explained why Kugaha's name was ineffective when Kazuma tried to use it to bind him. Maybe someone will bring it up next week, unless everyone acts like the whole affair is water under the bridge and moves on like nothing happened.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
^ I, too, was a little puzzled at some of the wording choices in the translations. Yato basically said that the actions of gods are always righteous, and in that sense they can do no wrong.

Also, Hiyori told Yato, "Let's go home, " not "let's leave." There's a subtle difference since "home" eludes to a place where one belongs.

There is a scene in volume 7 of the manga which I'm really hoping will occur in the next episode. There's actually a small spoiler of it already in the ending animation. Also kinda excited that Ishikawa will be voicing Fujisaki. ^^
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
There is a scene in volume 7 of the manga which I'm really hoping will occur in the next episode. There's actually a small spoiler of it already in the ending animation. Also kinda excited that Ishikawa will be voicing Fujisaki. ^^

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that was gonna be next episode. One part of me really wishes it is because it's simply that great a chapter, but another part of me wants that to be the end episode because it's that great a chapter. It probably won't be the latter though, unless they significantly change some stuff, but ah well. Having two 10/10 episodes in a row can't be bad.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that was gonna be next episode. One part of me really wishes it is because it's simply that great a chapter, but another part of me wants that to be the end episode because it's that great a chapter. It probably won't be the latter though, unless they significantly change some stuff, but ah well. Having two 10/10 episodes in a row can't be bad.

It's gotta be the next episode or the one after at the latest. I doubt they'll change the order of things to have it be in the last episode, though I totally get your feeling. I nearly cried when I read the chapter over a year ago, and I just know I'm going to get teary when I see it animated.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Are they really going to be able to do another arc in the number of episodes they have left? It doesn't seem possible.

And I am also looking forward to that one scene from Vol 7. Probably my favorite moment in the series so far.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Are they really going to be able to do another arc in the number of episodes they have left? It doesn't seem possible.

And I am also looking forward to that one scene from Vol 7. Probably my favorite moment in the series so far.

Exactly what I thought when I learned that the entire season wouldn't be the Bishamon Arc. =) They did a good job with squeezing that into 6 episodes so I hope they can work their magic for the Ebisu Arc too.

Ooh, does that mean they will spoiler[reveal Yato's real name??]

"That one scene" is going to be great~! I'm getting excited just thinking about it!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
and i wanted a bit of analysis the " gods can do no wrong" part...oh well.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

It's just retread territory from Season 1, though. Yato said the same thing when Yukine was doing his thing back then.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
The "God can do no wrong part" is pretty much semantic, like stealing something but justifying it saying you're just "indefinitely borrowing it so its not stealing". Bishamon action lead to the death of hundreds of regalia at this point, pretty big wrong/sin in my book. Of course the person who said those word was a God himself so it's hardly an unbiased source. Unless you consider regalia less than people, which seems to be the opinion in the world of God considering they go ape shit when a regalia dare to work for more than one God.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

It's just retread territory from Season 1, though. Yato said the same thing when Yukine was doing his thing back then.

It's one of the themes that binds the Bishamon & Ebisu arcs - essentially an exploration of the gods' will / actions being above mortal concepts of good & evil, regardless of the damage done. (By one POV, the whole series is this, and the question of "is this right?".)

GokuMew2 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Exactly what I thought when I learned that the entire season wouldn't be the Bishamon Arc. =) They did a good job with squeezing that into 6 episodes so I hope they can work their magic for the Ebisu Arc too.

Do you guys mean the bit with spoiler[Hiyori's shrine]? I assumed that would somehow be reedited to close the season. Certainly there would be just as much (more!) need for cheering-up/affirmation of life/family at that point as when it originally occurred.

Plus, with the amnesia arc moved to S1, there's a certain lack of payoff - like introducing a gun in Act 2, but the shooting scene was moved from Act 3 to Act 1.

I suspect that they'll use a similar approach as with the first half - focus on setup and exposition for 2-3 eps, then save the last 2.5-3 eps for the action sequences. We might not even get all the reveals related to Father until the very end (make a nice hook for a S3 Very Happy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12