• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Tamers might have had a larger cast but only the core three digimon went trough multiple digivolutions. The rest either never digivolved (calumon, leomon, marineangemon) or only had one or two. Also some like marineangemon had no speaking lines aside from its attack name. Ryo and his partner unfortunately had most of their backstory in a game. So even with the larger cast most of development was on the core trio, jerry and impmon
Yes, but Tamers is still not a "small" cast by any means. It's the largest cast in the franchise and they still pulled it off. On the flip side, you have Frontier which is the smallest cast of the franchise and that was very divisive with the fandom. But my point is that it's not the size of the cast or how early or late they introduce concepts that matter but how well the writers can balance the writing and it's too early 11 episodes in of a 66 episode show to say definitely so far. Especially with how Digimon has typically been a show with a slow start and a strong second half.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not really seeing any storytelling issues this guy does.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
I just found it hilarious that Togemon couldn't help Mimi cause he was holding the giant steel piece, but then once he evolved the piece just... disappeared. Ultimately the evolution didn't do anything to help them, the real hero is steel piece that realize he was in the way and left. Plus the evolution made Togemon much smaller, so even during the evolution it would probably have squished Mimi. Laughing

Oh and Greymon could totally have used his chest missile or fireball while he was holding the piece.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I mean... it's not like all the problems with the show forgoing characterization and emotional investment for plot progression, action and evolutions weren't already present right there from the very beginning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, at least the show has more going for it than tri. At this point, I'm just in it for the animation and cool fights. If I can turn off my brain and enjoy the Michael Bay Transformers movies, I'm sure I can do the same for this.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe part of it is because I was never a big fan of Koushiro whereas I always liked Sora in the original, but I find it odd that I wound up enjoying Sora's a lot more than Koushiro's despite the fact that I can recognize that the latter's evolution upgrade/character development was handled better. From a purely "how well was the idea coming across" point of view, Koushiro's growth felt far more natural, a better pay off to what we'd seen previously. But it was also just about him (and Tentomon). Sora's was pretty clumsy, but I really enjoyed seeing that team working together. Even in Koushiro's episode, my favorite bits were the ones with the other team's personalities bouncing off of each other. Sora's group just seems to be more team focused while Koushiro's is more about the character's individual personalities, and I've just always preferred the former.

I do wish that Yamato's and Sora's had been better executed like Mimi's and Koushiro's. But I also wish we got more group interaction between Taichi, Mimi, and Koushiro (I mean, neither Taichi nor Mimi even seemed to realize anything was wrong with him). I'm hoping that Joe's will manage to hit that sweet spot and have both as he feels better set up for development than Yamato and Sora, but he has also shown that he wants to interact with his teammates.

I don't know what the plan is for the series after next episode, but I really hope we get more episodes like 8, where all the kids were able to have nice moments as a group. And more digimon partner interaction would be welcome too, like Tentomon in this one and Gomamon in the one before.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
As a longtime Digimon fan who loved the older seasons because of a lot of the character drama, I'm fine with the reboot being more focused on the action adventure fantasy aspect if that means we don't have to have the whole subplot about Sora and her mom again.
WhatIsLove123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
How's the anime going? Haven't watched it yet
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hack25 wrote:

I think it's solid, but it's best not to compare it one to one with the original. It's more or less doing its own thing, and I think it does a pretty good job of doing it.
WhatIsLove123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Hack25 wrote:

I think it's solid, but it's best not to compare it one to one with the original. It's more or less doing its own thing, and I think it does a pretty good job of doing it.

Watched the original when I was a kid. Not all episodes but it was a fun show. Angewomon is my favorite
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Hack25 wrote:

Yes and no.
It's basically using all the old narrative beats but putting them in a much more concise and structured story without some of the more mundane or drama heavy episodes of the original Adventure. This is leading to what some people feel as pacing issues or Digivolutions that feel less earned but required.

That said if you've seen A1/A2 and the Movies and you enjoyed those you'll likely feel right at home here. If you didn't enjoy A1/A2 for whatever reason or you grew up with later seasons like Frontier you might be at a bit of a loss for seeing this reboot to something that looks nothing like what you're accustomed to.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:48 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Hack25 wrote:

If they didn't want us to compare it to the original, they shouldn't have used the same characters. Period. Comparing the live-action Mulan to the original is perfectly valid in showing how horrible the live-action version is. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that the same people who say not to compare the two are perfectly fine with comparing them when the new one does something better. Hm... Yes, I admit that the action and animation has been far improved, but that's pretty much it. No emotional investment in the characters, no build-up to the respective evolutions, no sense of cohesiveness in the world-building, no stakes, a focus on action and plot at the expense of everything else... you get the picture.

Ironically, I personally think that the only reason I can even bare to even sit through this show is because I've watched the original. This show has been so shallow and flat that I've been bringing over all of the characterization from the original show and filling in the gaps myself. It's also precisely because I know that we have the angel Digimon and the Megas to look forward to that I'm pushing onward. This 6-episode-run of soulless, repetitive Ultimate evolution spam has been so, so draining. Not sure why they haven't given us more room to breathe or explore the Champion forms or spaced the Ultimate evolutions out a little bit more to give them more individual significance and importance.

Speaking of the Ultimates, my issue with the Ultimates is that there doesn't seem to be any special unlocking criteria that separated them from their Champion forms. With the original, some of the episodes might have been equally meh, but they had to find and use their tags/crests in order to reach Ultimate (it's not until they reached the end did they realize that they were the embodiment of their crests). Even in Tamers, they needed the Blue Card in order to reach Ultimate. Here, all the kids needed to be was more gung-ho? If they weren't going to make the Ultimates a reward for or a physical realization of their character growth, they should have added some other kind of restriction or hurdle for them to overcome to make the evolutions feel more earned.

Now, I'd be really, really happy to be proven wrong, and now that this Ultimate arc is over, they have a perfect chance to do so. However, we know that Angemon/Angewomon is coming. I'd be REALLY pissed if they deliberately made the next boss so powerful that it's able to defeat 6 Ultimates just to set the stage for Angemon/Angewomon or the start of yet another spam of evolution episodes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they didn't want us to compare it to the original, they shouldn't have used the same characters. Period. Comparing the live-action Mulan to the original is perfectly valid in showing how horrible the live-action version is. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that the same people who say not to compare the two are perfectly fine with comparing them when the new one does something better. Hm... Yes, I admit that the action and animation has been far improved, but that's pretty much it. No emotional investment in the characters, no build-up to the respective evolutions, no sense of cohesiveness in the world-building, no stakes, a focus on action and plot at the expense of everything else... you get the picture.
I mean you could do that if you want to but I can guarantee you're not going to enjoy the series with that approach. And constantly comparing the reboot to the original is an approach that I find overlooks the flaws of the original series in the name of nostalgia. Might I remind fans about Sora's whole character arc in the original series or the whole contrived drama around Hikari's pneumonia, or how the original always had male Digimon constantly harassing Mimi for her affections. I love the original Adventure but I do think Digimon fans have this tendency to put it up on this pedestal where it and maybe Tamers are the only good seasons of Digimon and the strengths of other seasons get overlooked while fans amplify their flaws at the expense of everything they did right. I remember for years fans hated 02 and their characters for not being as good as the original Adventure. Then Tri came along and now everyone loves 02 and was ruthless in criticism of Tri for not having the 02 cast in it among other issues. And it's partially this burning drive the fandom has to always compare every new Digimon anime that comes out to Adventure why we're so over-saturated in Adventure related content nowadays. Yes Adventure: is trying to have things both ways to an extent of wanting to play up the nostalgia angle while also appealing to a new generation of fans, but we're at this moment for the franchise partially because the fandom never allowed the franchise to grow beyond the original to begin with.

Quote:

Ironically, I personally think that the only reason I can even bare to even sit through this show is because I've watched the original. This show has been so shallow and flat that I've been bringing over all of the characterization from the original show and filling in the gaps myself. It's also precisely because I know that we have the angel Digimon and the Megas to look forward to that I'm pushing onward. This 6-episode-run of soulless, repetitive Ultimate evolution spam has been so, so draining
This is another thing with Digimon fandom where I don't understand the completionist attitude a lot of fans have to watch all of every Digimon related content even if they're no longer enjoying it and it's becoming more of a chore than something you do for fun. Fans did this all throughout Tri even when they were long past the point of enjoying it anymore. For me even when it comes to "bad" Digimion I still can have fun with it and I try to put my expectations that Digimon is a kid's show and not every entry is not going to be on the same level of Digimon at it's highest peaks. But just because shows like Frontier and Xros Wars aren't Tamers/Adventure tier writing I can still find things about them I enjoy because I enjoy Digimon as a brand and also I'm a big fan of mon shows in general and the same applies to this reboot. But if you're not enjoying something anymore and it's actively becoming difficult to keep watching it, it's ok to not force yourself. Digimon is a huge brand that makes a lot of money off of toys and games and the reboot is clearly doing well in ratings in Japan and is a top streaming title on Crunchyroll. Digimon as a brand is at a very healthy point for it's franchise where Digimon fans don't need to support every show or product that comes out of it if they're actively not enjoying something anymore.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean that Joe is a schlemiel. Schmuck is Yiddish for penis and usually translates as prick, an unlikeable jerk. Joe is more of an unlucky loser.
anifani

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you mean that Joe is a schlemiel. Schmuck is Yiddish for penis and usually translates as prick, an unlikeable jerk. Joe is more of an unlucky loser.

Schmuck or Schlemiel.... ouch. Razz Joe was always my favorite character.... Between motion sickness, allergies, and name calling... poor guy can't catch a break... hahaha....
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well, there are only three ways this can go and I'm not looking forward to any of them...

1. Deux Ex Omegamon again, which would be the worst possible option.
2. Appearance of the Angel Digimon, which wouldn't be as bad, but since we have zero build up or characterization for Takeru, Hikari or even Patamon/Tailmon, this would also be another lazy deus ex machina.
3. The introduction of the Mega level with WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. Yeah, I don't think I'm ready for yet another series of unearned evolution episodes.,,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9